Stand Up For Your Writer

I write by ear, therefore make many mistakes, grammatically and then some. It doesn’t mean I’m a bad writer. This took me a long time to learn.

People love to make you feel inept and stupid because according to the Gods of Grammar, you’re an outcast if you don’t tidy things up. The trouble with that is, sometimes sprucing steals the charm right off the page.

A former friend who did some editing for me, thinking I’m the worse writer in the world, really led me to believe without an English degree, I was just making a big fool of myself.

E.B. White said...writing is an act of faith, not a trick of grammar.

I’m stitching that on a pillow.

Perfection without personality is boring. To have heart when you write is what it’s all about, in your own words, imperfectly or otherwise.

One of my favorite tales is about John Steinbeck, no slouch in the prose department (Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath.)

He had sent some pages over to his publisher who after reading them, came out of his office and said to his secretary, “This is the damnedest thing. This sounds nothing like John.” Miss whomever said, “I cleaned it up. Fixed all his grammar, you know, edited out all the mistakes.” And the publisher said, “Well, you just took the Steinbeck, right out of Steinbeck.”

I love that story.Β  images.jpeg

She rests her case.

This entry was posted in Books, creative writing, History, humanity, inspiration, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Stand Up For Your Writer

1. robprice59 says:

I can see both sides of this. Grammar is there for a reason. It supposed to make meaning clear because everyone plays by the same rules. But I can also see that bending or even breaking the rules can lend character to a piece, and personal syntactic flexibility is commensurate with style. My advice to you is: don’t change a thing. πŸ˜‰

2. aFrankAngle says:

To me, you seem to pour your personality into your writing … which is why I like reading here.

I’m with both of your readers above. While grammar is important, a writer’s personality is what makes people coming back for more.
    Besides, I haven’t noticed anything that bugs me in any of your writing πŸ˜‰
    And like you, I write like I’m downhill skiing (what a great way to put it!)

4. I think you do okay and as with Steinbeck, grammar and punctuation are just tools, they’re not the end goal. They say that Balzac, one of France’s most famous writers had terrible grammar, but the passion of the writing came through anyway. That’s the point of art too.
    YF

5. None of the blogs I follow make egregious errors. I have read things, though, that were so painful that I wouldn’t willingly read more. I guess there is a limit to what I would put up with. Your writing is always delightful.

SB,

I love that Steinbeck story too.

As for myself, I tend to edit too much sometimes. It’s my OCD that kicks in and just will not let me be. But I appreciate the idea of letting the words breathe. Very much.

I’m thankful you ain’t changing because I love your style.

An acquaintance of mine routinely made comments regarding the most insignificant grammar mistakes I used to commit on my blog. She was an English major and ex-library manager. I tried to accept it gracefully, but it irked me that her corrections were the only time she commented; nothing regarding my content.
    Just don’t take the Susannah out of Susannah!

I try to not make too many awful grammar bloopers and I don’t stress when I write. I do this because I like to write not to impress or make money. When I read it is for pleasure so I am not into analyzing the grammar. I like reading your pieces because you write honestly and with humor and usually those two things just don’t need over editing.

9. I was told once (or read) “Not ending a sentence with a preposition is something with which we will have to put up.”
    ‘Nuff said, I think”
    Anyone who states you cannot write and are wasting time could definitely not spend long hours talking to you about absolutely everything! I am (was) an English teacher and the biggest problems I had was with those who had to “be perfect” in their writing….

i am not surprised at those who glare they are not the ones i fear

Bet you know whose poetry style that is. Not a quote, but…