Another New York Story

It’s 6:30 A.M. as I cut across the Park, west to east to run the rest of the way home. I like this 5 minute stroll past the tennis courts since it’s a part of the city, changing at the speed of light, that never changes. I can even hear the bounce of tennis balls as early risers play before sunup. Unknown.jpeg

There’s a middle-aged couple seated on a bench with three dogs: a Golden Retriever, a Maltese and a Miniature Poodle who’s getting brushed with what looks like a Mason Pearson hairbrush, the Tiffany of brushes. The other two stand side by side waiting patiently.

I stop and smile.

They smile back as the man vigorously works the snarls out of the Poodle who’s taking it all in stride.

The woman says, “They all like getting their hair done.”

I laugh and ask, “Are they women by any chance?” Suddenly seeing them in pink curlers Unknown-1.jpeg sitting under the dryer.

“All but him,” pointing to the Maltese, “and he likes it the best.”

I swear the dog nods and smiles, but then again I’m half asleep.

I look at the man making me flash to Warren Beatty in the film Shampoo and say, ‘Listen, I could use a wash and set too.”

The man, without missing a beat, nor brushstroke says, “So get in line.”

Just another New York story.Β

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Cinema, creative writing, Fashion, humanity, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

110 Responses to Another New York Story

1. That was gently hilarious! You are a top-notch story teller.

Susannah, it’s so relaxing to have your hair brushed or head massaged. Pookie massages my head once in a while; my hair is too curly to brush. I look like the Bride of Frankenstein when he’s done.
    I love the man’s response – “So get in line.” He must be a lot of fun to be around.

This was wonderful, Susannah!
    Love the response from the man, too… what a guy πŸ˜‰
    Wish Zeke didn’t loathe being brushed. It’s a pain and ends up costing me big buckaroos to get him done elsewhere because I lose patience with trying to get him to stay still. Sigh.

4. Eilene Lyon says:

Another great little vignette!

I watched “Splendor in the Grass” recently. Natalie Wood and Warren Beatty did NOT come from this earth, no way Josie. They were delivered from some place else, far away.

6. I’m sure everyone, person or animal, likes getting their hair done. I used to like getting mine cut but now I have so little of it, I just do it myself. πŸ™‚

7. Vasca Beall says:

Somewhere…oh my! I love that and the tears fall fast and furiously. My best friend’s favorite song; she died after a long fight with cancer. Didn’t worry about brushing her hair; there was none to brush. Did get to brush their dogs though. This is a gem, Susannah, love the owners & their pals.

8. Susannah, this was a fun one. And Spielberg working on a new Westside Story. Who needs Daily Variety! I had no idea, but then I’m usually left in the darkβ€”and so were you … on Saturday. πŸ˜€

I don’t like getting my hair done. I just get it cut because I am a shampoo and go kinda gal…no blow dry, no curling, no coloring. But I like brushing Jack and he likes it, too. Teddy is another story for another day.

10. I like him; sounds like me.