Give Us Our Daily Bread

I’m coming back from my run walking along Fifth, when I see three baby birds struggling with a piece of what looks like, stale Wonder Bread.

They’re trying diligently to break off pieces, I imagine, they can fly home with.

They scatter when I stop, bending down to break it up for them like a mom or nanny just coming on the scene.

I then stand by the curb to see what they’ll do, and like all hungry kids, went right back without apology, to claim their breakfast.  images.jpeg

This entry was posted in creative writing, Family, food, humor, inspiration, nature, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Give Us Our Daily Bread

Susannah, we have a bird feeder as well as a bird feeding area. Our stale bread gets scattered in the area and I break it up into little pieces. I do this partly so they can fly off with it and also so a big blue jay doesn’t hog a whole slice.
    I bet your feathered friends were cheeping ‘thank you’ as they claimed their breakfast morsels. How many others saw the same scene and never had it occur to them to break bread with the birds?

2. aFrankAngle says:

Yep – the scatter is definitely temporary. Then again, I wonder if there is a memory limit. Then again, if so, they will certainly return to the area.

• I recall watching a fight between a woman feeding them and a man insisting it would draw rats. Now, if I were a lawyer for the feathered set and their admirers, my defense would be…you toss feed of any kind, and in seconds, it’s gone. They swoop down like parachuted pilots hiding in trees, so the only rat I smell is the guy who may need more fiber in his diet Frank…:)

3. Alien Resort says:

That’s because it helps to build strong bodies 12 ways.

How cool that they came back, Mama Bird!
    You are kindness personified.

5. Your heart responds to birds, too! You are a wonder!

That iconic wrapper, it was my first advance into all the lessons of Warhol, really.

Interesting how Twitter has a bird as its logo, seeing as how the feeding frenzy is every bit the same. Hmmm.

Well done, Mama Love Bird (That’s officially your hippie chick name now).

Birds are a wonder. They never give up. Bet they told all their friends about you on the twitter hotline.

8. I was about to say I’m sure they were grateful, but considering how thoughtless human kids can be, I don’t know if baby birds would be any better. Still, your good deed for the day. 🙂

• Baby birds are fascinating to watch. You often see them in I guess you’d call, wing fights, sibling rivalry of the winged set. I always want to intervene and say, now, now…that’s no way to treat your sister.

9. Perhaps, you have a bit of Ghandi in you…kindness to all and everyone deserves to eat.