Best Stories of the Week…August 30th

A 10 year-old boy at school was celebrating his birthday allowed to invite two boys to join him for lunch. He chose his best friend and another kid his mom didn’t know. When she asked, who he was and why did he ask him, her son said, “Because no one talks to him.”

At a 12 Step meeting, an elderly woman came in with her Cocker Spaniel. The guard at the church’s front desk told her dogs aren’t allowed. When she said, he was a Service Dog and had just forgotten his vest, he said, without it, he was just another dog.

His boss appeared and after hearing the story allowed the lady in with her beloved pup. He then went on his way…in his wheelchair.

I was coming home from Whole Foods proud of myself only taking one bag that, crossing the avenue broke, my pears and and oranges rolling down Lexington like ground ball hits.

A hard hat having his lunch ran after them retrieving each one, while a woman watching, who had double bagged, gave me one of hers.

A woman was behind another woman at Staples who had a shopping cart filled with school supplies. When she asked, if she was a teacher and when the woman said yes, paid for the whole thing.

Last but not least, my neighbors across the hall moved to Spain. I hate good byes, but knew, the right thing was to go over and wish them well. Before I could do this, the two little girls beat me to it. There they were three years after we met, taller, baby teeth missing, two little lights I know I’ll never see again.

They both at the same time, hugged me tightly around my waist and said, “Thank you for always being so good to us. We’ll miss you.”

The little one, as sensitive as a buttercup, handed me a wad of bright pink Kleenex all three of us shared.ย  images.jpeg

This entry was posted in creative writing, Culture, Family, friendship, grace, Gratitude, humanity, humor, inspiration, Love, words and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Best Stories of the Week…August 30th

Susannah, thank you for sharing these wonderful little moments. Kindness is the answer for world peace.

• Yes, it could certainly change the world that’s going to hell in a hand basket. The Teacher made me think of you. ๐Ÿ™‚

• skinnyuz2b says:

I’m only a sub now, but I always have a supply of pencils and pens that deplete rapidly. The pens are free from my bank and the pencils are purchased by the 100. I admit I have dug into my lunch bag and given up my yogurt and/or Kind bar more than a few times.
        During the year I get stickers from random charities. Although I only sub for high school now, I use them on their next quiz. They make faces while laughing and go ‘What the heck?!” However, they immediately compare stickers and no one peels them off unless it’s to relocate a sticker on their face. Still little kids at heart.

• Love that Skinny, and I’m not surprised at your largess towards your students, plus, you teach them about generosity when you give that way. Thanks for sharing. Made me smile.

2. Eilene Lyon says:

All top notch tales here. Kindness travels far, doesnโ€™t it?

It’s all about that compassion thing.

You understand so very well how much it means and why. And I love how you spell the word with these wonderful little moments that go big inside our hearts. Because these are the answers to all the many questions.

Beautifully done, Susannah. ๐Ÿ™‚

There are good kind generous people in this world. Sometimes we don’t notice because they are quiet with their goodness. My favorite was the little boy. There is hope for the future with kids like him. Maybe someday he will be president.

These are wonderful stories, Susannah. (Sorry I’m behind in my reading…)

Little acts that add up. Inconsequential things, most people may think but make such a difference in this big, bad world. And when you take the time to share with us these lovely random acts of kindness, of compassion, you are also telling us that the world isn’t so bad at all.

Thank you for this.

6. Those stories were well-needed. I am sharing this to my FB page and my law of attraction page. I have been under the weather and that brightened my day more than anything so far.
    Scott

7. Reblogged this on Kindredspirit23's Blog and commented:
    Law of attraction at work!

8. Little acts of human kindness like this are always encouraging to read. Thank you for posting them.
    -David