But Who Asked Me?

As we know, the well-to-do love buying things, and that includes the 4-legged they leave behind on weekends since, according to Muffy, Socrates doesn’t do well in the country.

So the maid, they overpay to ease their guilt, stays at their penthouse to feed and walk Socs, as the kids call him, proudly promenading like she’s in a Jamaican parade.

Why get a dog, one you even paid for, no shelter animals for the rich and mighty, might not go with that sectional made of horsehair that turns out, makes you sneeze, in the first place?

But who asked me?

She’s dating a gorgeous goyisha guy she can’t bring home for Rosh Hashanah since her orthodox dad might have a stroke.

Okay, so just don’t bring him, it’s only dinner.

But who asked me?

A guy is siting in his car waiting for a parking spot. He’s aggravated that no one is moving, yelling at his doorman. He’s driving a Jag but doesn’t put it in a monthly parking garage, what’s up with that?

But who asked me?

A rather robust woman in a coffee shop after ordering the $15.99 7 course Early Bird Special, is whining how high her cholesterol is, while her husband, who’s clearly heard it all before, quietly butters bread. As she whines further like a malfunctioning Mattel toy, eating scalloped potatoes sauteed in cream, I so want to say, just so you know, your cholesterol is now doing the tango.

But who asked me?

When I brought up to a friend the last mass shooting in El Paso, Texas and how awful it was to have it happen again, he said, ‘Yeah, and, your point is?”

WTF?

But who asked me?Β Β

This entry was posted in Culture, humanity, media, New York City, Politics, violence, words and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

103 Responses to But Who Asked Me?

1. Kate Howell says:

πŸ‘

~Hal Rubenstein From my iPhone

SB,

Who asked me is a refrain I can definitely relate to!

The lady with the high cholesterol hits me right in the breadbasket (no butter, please . . olive oil). Because don’t we all know this person(s)? Plural. They bitch and moan about how they got red flagged by their doc and now they’re on another med and oh . . hold on, I’m going through the McDonald’s drive thru. Puhleeze! Eat a mango, why dontcha!

3. aFrankAngle says:

Because I wasn’t asked either, I’ll pass comment. πŸ˜‰

I’m with you and Marc. The biggest (um….yeah) whiners about their weight and cholesterol are rarely the ones ordering the salads – and if they do, it’s the Caesar or other super creamy crap). A cousin of my mother’s has diabetes and when he feels like overdoing it, basically, daily, he says he doesn’t have to worry, He just has to take an extra pill. I wanna smack him upside the head.

Why get a dog if you don’t love dogs? That also bugs me.

My son is dating a Muslim Lebanese girl who can’t bring him home to meet her parents because they won’t accept him. She stays here whenever she can. Honestly. I will never get the super religious immigrants who can’t let go. But hey, what do I know?

Susannah, I’m asking! I’m asking you for all the snippits you so aptly observe and relay. Luckily, I haven’t known anyone like your first two yahoos. As for the third, there are too many penny-wise/pound-foolish nitwits out there. And the world is overly populated with your fourth example. I confess that I’m in that group. I whine (mostly to myself) about my lack of abs and muscle tone, but only exercise intermittently in spurts of gusto. I’ve learned not to whine to my two younger sisters. They figure that since I’m thin-ish that’s all I need. I feel another exercise spurt coming on! Take me out of that fourth bunch.

• I see and hear so much in my solo travels. My cholesterol was high because of all the sugar I consumed, as thin as I am, so weight isn’t always the issue, it’s 5 packs of sugar in a cup of coffee. I should have just ordered sugar with coffee on the side.

It’s hard to be healthy 24/7. I slip. I’ve said before how I run pass a bakery afraid a cannoli will woo me in.

As for Mr. Cheapskate with his flashy car, there are many in my midst. They complain about everything with a loaf under each arm, as the saying goes, but alas, what can we do Madam Skinny. Right jump rope, left jump rope.

Maybe somebody should ask you. They would get some good advice…and with a smile I am sure.

7. I can answer that my belief in the Law of attraction tells me that all is perfect and even the shootings serve a reason and purpose and work out perfectly. However, I do not even pretend to understand how and they still clutch at my heart and make me happy that I have had no one close to me that has been tragically involved yet.

8. I loved this. You’ve got a good comedic sense of timing and observation. True though, there’s so much wrong that could be fixed without too much trouble, but…who asked me?

• That made me laugh. We’re the fixers, you and me. You’re used to administrative duties while I’m just obsessed with law and order if you will. Always cleaning. Trimming. Keeping it simple. I think I was a Shaker in another life. They have a permanent exhibit at the Met of how they live. I always want to climb over the rope and move in. The simplicity so beckoning. Thanks, as always.