The Ephemerals

The word ephemeral is an adjective I’ve shamelessly coined as a noun, meaning, lasting for a short time…fleeting, brief, almost as if you dreamt it.

I’m referring to people who come and go, check in and out of your life as if you were a midtown hotel.  Unknown-1.jpeg

It’s always mystifying to me, not to mention hurtful.

They say in AA, if you’re bothered by someone’s behavior, it’s merely mirroring yours.

Busted.

Yes, I’ve done it too, took leave unexpectedly, but to defend myself, always with a polite farewell. I don’t make it a practice of flying the coop when one isn’t looking.

One woman who was pretty constant just disappeared. When I reached out to make certain she was okay, and to ask, was I at fault, in an email she said, no, but have never heard from her again.

It’s a shame since I liked her so very much though, I’ll admit, not for very long.

Another lady I’ve known for 30 years also made skid marks after  suggesting we look at the good more often. In her 7th decade she has no desire to count her many blessings, so I’ve become the enemy. She even purposely ignored my birthday to make her point. Okay, got it.

Don’t need to be punched twice.

Then there’s that fella I was canoodling with who decided he didn’t have time to care, being a musician and all, traveling, needing his space, space, by the way, I’ve never asked for. I’m often accused of things I’m not guilty of.

He should really think about leaving his ego, the size of a tuba, to science.

Frankly I smell younger gal, blonde, tattooed since this guy, despite his 6th decade, is still a punk, so to speak. Toss in some casual abuse that comes with cleavage and lanky legs and he’s yours, which was something else that I apparently did wrong.

I was kind.

OOPS!

How dull is that, to be loving and thoughtful, generous and understanding to a fault.

I want a bitch who keeps me up at night, in more ways than one.

My friend Camille often reminds me that, make-up sex after a fiery feud, breathes new life into a dynamic duo whose tires may be going flat.

But ya see, I’m more invested in peace these days than warfare, so just to swing from that chandelier, Unknown-1.jpegone more time, really doesn’t interest me.

Call me crazy.   images.png

This entry was posted in friendship, humanity, humor, Love, men, Uncategorized, Women and men, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to The Ephemerals

1. Funny. I’m always the one who someone decides to walk out on. At one time I thought maybe the deodorant wasn’t working. No, it was I was nice. “Too gentle to live among wolves,” was the way my second wife put it. I finally decided that I was going to go for nice rather than the other way around. It all finally worked. Those who unexpectantly drop out now are in the “don’t let the screen door hit ya,” category.

I’m always left dumbfounded when a girlfriend I thought I was close to up and leaves the picture. Sometimes I think I just didn’t see the what’s what. Other times I have to remind myself of Maya Angelou’s quote: “When people tell you who they are, believe them”. A person I thought of friend had told me way back that “she sucked as a friend”. She was right.

As for make-up sex. I never believed in that. Honestly. I am pissed at you, don’t even think of touching me! But that’s me.

And for those looking for nasty or ghosting us because we’re too nice? – fuck ’em.

3. aFrankAngle says:

Through the years, I’ve contacted people out of the blue – sometimes out of concern – other times just because the popped into my head. Then I noticed something hurtful – it seldom happens to me. That bothered me enough that I’ve toned down the unexpected contacts. Is it right? … no …but I feel better about it while also wondering if anyone really cares.

4. aFrankAngle says:

PS: Forgot to say that I have high confidence in the fact that “ephemerals” has never appeared on my blog.

I agree. The days of whine and poses are long since over for yours truly.
    After which I became a shameless wanderer who didn’t write checks he couldn’t cash. I realize it’s not romantic, but hey, that’s why I write.

Peace and fuck it

Hey Susannah, or should I say Crazy, I agree that a dynamite laden relationship is not my cup of tea either. I hope you can find a wonderful Pookie like mine, who is always doing thoughtful little things and appreciative of what you do as well. If anyone deserves a Pookie, you certainly do.
    It’s baffling when people suddenly disappear without a fare-thee-well. And it certainly is hard not to take it personally.

• People jump ship. Like the woman who put my blog up for me way back when. 3 times she left. Someone we both know finally said to me, how many times do you need to get smacked before you get, she’s not your friend, just some nut passing through your life. The truth hurt, put as they say in 12 Step…The truth shall set you free, but first it will kick your ass. Pookie…does he have a brother? He’s always sounds like Lancelot to your Guinevere.

7. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Pretty good, very enjoyable and funny !

Best,
    Hal

8. Can’t call you crazy, cuz I agree with most all you said. The man was, obviously, nuts. The woman who didn’t want to count her blessings would’ve been left by me after a time. People do leave at times and it, sometimes, hurts us a bit. I try to live by the rule that people come into your lives and leave them to show or to teach you something or to do something to help you. That’s it. So, it doesn’t surprise me, anymore, when people just disappear – though, at times, it still hurts.
    Scott