Fashion That Never Sleeps

Unknown-2.jpeg One of my favorite things to wear I never get tired of, is a little black dress most people associate with Audrey Hepburn.

But the person who deserves the credit is the designer, Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel, who in 1926, through her groundbreaking fashion sense,images-1.jpeg freed women from the captivity of heavy, layered fabric.

Her creation revolutionized fashion…calve-length, simple and straight, Vogue Magazine calling it, Chanel’s Ford, like the Model T.  images-3.jpeg

All I know is, whenever you wear one, heads still turn…women, men, even the occasional octogenarian will nod in approval.

Simplicity is the keynote to true elegance…C.C.

Hail Coco!   images.jpeg

Brings me to the little black flat that in 1921 started as a mere ballet slipper designed by an Italian named, Salvatore Capezio, who began making them for dancers.

The clothing designer, Claire McCardell, featured his long-soled ballet Unknown-2.jpeg shoes in her 1941 collection changing footwear forever, every major department store from popular demand, ordering them.

Imagine going from heels to flats for the first time, as if you never took off your bedroom slippers, something we’ve always taken for granted.

images-1.jpeg

And I’ll end with the Big Kahuna of classics, the gabardine trench coat, worn by British and French soldiers during World War I, sired in 1912, by Thomas Burberry…

warmer, comfier and lighter than any of its predecessors, protecting them from the wind and rain.

Way before Bogie made it famous in Casablanca,  images.jpeg every major military man from Churchill to Eisenhower wore one as part of his uniform. 220px-WWITrenchcoat.jpeg

Nothing is still quite as chic as one tossed over a suit, or tights and a blazer, braying with its sartorial history, Unknown-2.jpegimages-3.jpeg

Kinda makes ya hope for rain, now doesn’t it?

This entry was posted in Beauty, Culture, Fashion, grace, History, war, Women and men, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Fashion That Never Sleeps

1. Hoping for rain?… we have it in southeast Alaska.

2. I, personally, think that it looks better on the women.

I could not agree with you more on all three fashion mentions.
    Elegance, simplified; never to go out of style. Ever.

4. I bought my first Burberry in 1977 and I still wear it. I don’t have a little black dress or flats, however. I enjoyed the story, Susannah.

Susannah, I love a simple little dress, black or otherwise. I’ve always been a dress girl. The flattest shoes I own are one pair of sneakers. Otherwise the lowest heels are at least a couple of inches.
    My senior students last week were talkng about an interviewing contest. One girl asked, “Do I really HAVE to wear a dress?”

6. aFrankAngle says:

Unquestionable the head-turning power of simple elegance. Audrey Hepburn is also the classic example. Well done, Susannah!

The little black dress is a favorite memory of mine. The sisters indigo, navy and red allowed for erstwhile dalliances into the spectrum. But Coco will always prevail for its simplicity, which is seductively intoxicating. It’s cutting to the chase, in sexy.

As for shoes, my ex wife was a shoe collector who could have started up a stateside sister group to Imelda Marcos. I still have this nightmare where unopened shoe boxes are chasing me . . .

8. Nereah says:

Timeless fashion is everything

9. Pingback: Fashion That Never Sleeps — athingirldotcom | By the Mighty Mumford

10. ruchitha24 says:

Fashion photography is not something I have ever had an interest in doing, but looking at it is different.implicity is the keynote to true elegance. One of my favorite things to wear I never get tired of, is a little black dress most people associate.The style you wear is a reflection of who you are.Fashion That Never Sleeps ..

• I couldn’t agree more. Not everyone has style. They wear labels to show off their preening finances. Takes so little to have personal style, and if you borrow a little from Audrey, that’s okay too. 🙂