Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, and Ike.

It’s still dark entering the Park, when I see an array of lights darting against the predawn sky. As I get closer, I see it’s a Pitbull with a collar made up of Christmas lights.

Ike is his name belonging to a Vietnam Vet, named Billy, who found him on the Lower East Side apparently in great need of care.

As Ike does relays back and forth, my smile gets bigger and bigger. He reminds me of being a kid going to my Auntie Ida’s house on Christmas Eve, passing all the homes with twinkle lights twined around their porches and windows.

It was my favorite part of the trip…greens and blues, reds and yellows lighting the way pretending from our ice blue Chevy Impala, to be Wendy in Peter Pan.

The dog, at his master’s gentle request, come’s over, panting, so we could be properly introduced.

Billy says, “Ike, what do we do when we meet a lady?”

As the light was just beginning to change, a runner or two in our midst, Ike politely sits down to give me his mighty paw.

“Such a grip,” I say to Billy, “and I don’t mind telling you, I’ve always been a sucker for a gentleman.”

When I then say, how noble it was that he rescued Ike, he says, “No, you got it backwards,” stroking Ike’s head tenderly…

“Ike here, he rescued me.”  Unknown-2.jpeg

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, humanity, humor, inspiration, Love, men, nature, New York City, war and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, and Ike.

I love that last line, so much.

As for the rest of it, I don’t just Like Ike . . I Love Ike!

What a wonderful post, Susannah! That last line goes right to the heart! Zinggggg!
    What a handsome fella, that Ike is…

3. This is poetic and certainly not doggerel. Loved the post!

4. aFrankAngle says:

You encounter the best stuff. For me, it is because of your heart. Cheers to Ike and Billy.

5. Vasca says:

Such encounters so warm the heart…Susannah, I love your writing and also love reading the comments. It’s rather like a family sharing thoughts. I also fell in love with Billy and Ike. A soft spot in my heart for both. Ike is a hero for saving an unsung hero. Wonderful meeting those two guys! Thanks for writing beautifully. Dashing off such beautiful, colorful words in real life. Bravo!

6. I am told by my stroke counselor that my cat, the mighty Tamika, has kinda saved me. She said that retired men, single and disabled, often drop from society and have no contact with others. Now, I have you all, my blogging world, I have the Cracker Barrel crew, my Mom and other family, and my friends. But Tamika is around all those hours when there’s no one. Who knew?!

7. Clever Girl says:

Sweet! Pit bulls get a bad rap sometimes, yes? I love ’em.

8. I love folks who care enough to take in animals in need. I’m glad Billy feels Ike has made his life better. Most rescues do that. Lovely post, Susannah.

9. Eilene Lyon says:

Doggy saves the day, again! Where would the world be without our hounds?

Sweet story. Wonderful when when needs are met and love is the result.

11. What a wonderful story, Susannah, especially with the flashback to your childhood. You meet all kinds of interesting people out and about.

• I do. I think one, it’s the writer in me always trolling for a story, and that I’m alone a lot, so I tend to seek out casual exchanges, plus. I’m a sucker for a Pitt. I just love them. They’re so heroic in my eyes. Ike, if he could only talk, believe me, he’d rival Whitman with his stories. WOOF!

Just as we all need someone to care for us, we also need someone to care for. I wonder how many others noticed such a wonderful Christmas dog?