Babar On The Bus

I love to see little kids reading, a rare sight these days, so spotting one on the crosstown bus got my attention.

This little guy was around 4, with his nanny who held him and his book in her cushy lap as if he were her own.

You don’t see that much around here, babysitters who care. Instead, they phone it in while on their phone, no pun intended.

But not this lady, who read Babar And The New Baby  images.jpeg  and you know, not for the first time.

When she saw me looking she laughed. “He so loves this story,” she said, in some kind of islandese. “He’s going to have a new brother or sister, so he’s very excited.”

So was I at that point as he nudged her to stop talking so they could read some more.

He was such a passionate reader for such a little boy.

It sure made this big reader’s day, and then some.  images-1.jpeg

This entry was posted in Books, Culture, humor, inspiration, kids, Love, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Babar On The Bus

1. aFrankAngle says:

Thanks for starting my day with a smile …. then again, that’s something you have a way of doing. Thank you!

2. What a sweet story! Nothing barbarous there.

And Babar!

It reminds me of a time, inside another world it seems, when ‘hand held’ devices referred to books with dog eared pages.

4. Love, love, love this! And this family won the jackpot with this nanny! 🙂

There is something special about reading to a child. And when they don’t want you to stop. Bonus!

Liked by 2 people

6. Heartwarming story, Susannah. I loved that the book was a Barbar story. Thank you for sharing.

It is a treat to see a kid who likes books. Even 4 year olds seem to be enamored of things with screens and volume buttons.

8. It’s nice to see kids reading. I used to love the Babar books. I should go find them and read them again sometime.

It’s hard to understand how a caregiver could not care for their charges, young or old. I know it’s a job, but people often care about their jobs. I’m glad you got to witness their closeness. And soon a new brother or sister!

• It’s the nature of New York City in a cyber age where, if no one sees, they can stay on their phone all day. The kid is often weeping, no gloves, all while the nanny’s yapping. So yes, she got my attention since she was an old fashioned kind of lady who indeed loved that little boy who was awfully lovable, even from afar. 🙂

10. Vasca says:

Nannies like her are diamonds – so precious. That little boy is adored and he is enamoured with Ms. Nanny! How wonderful. My four little sons were read to, talked to and were important individuals to me. We read stories; we made up stories and they were fascinating. Thankfully we all remain readers…I’m most thankful for that gift. Libraries should never, ever go out of business. Let’s hear it for reading…yay, Susannah.

11. You will never hear me degrade or put down our technological marvels. I love video games, emails, blogs, and spreadsheets, as well as being able to look up and read about anything within minutes. However, I used to read so very much all the time when (Much) younger. As a matter of story, when I was about 22 (I believe), my Dad gave me an electric razor (my 1st) for Christmas. I used it a bit and didn’t really like it (still don’t). So, I returned the razor and bought 8 new books! My Dad was so angry. Mom knew and said it would be alright.

12. Gail says:

My 4-year-old granddaughter is one of the best readers in her Pre-K class. One day, in the car, she recited the entire book, “Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?“ My pride sent me on a quest to buy her this book. I couldn’t find it in the local store, so I bought it online and sent it to her house. Her mom later told me that my little one had said before that car ride, “I’m going to get Grandma to buy me that book.” She really is smart.