There Will Be No Christmas This Year

Christmas is on a stretcher.

The message seems to be…WHO CARES, something I find rather mystifying.

Maybe it’s the Connecticut in me, but I suit up every year, whether in the mood or not.

We must make the effort to be merry.

Who said why?

Because what’s the alternative? To just totally give up, even on Christmas?

I say nay.

Nay…listen to me. It’s all this impeachment business. Now I’m about to vote on the Senate floor with Nancy, who I so wish would change those pants.

It’s a nightmare, all of it, and I don’t say that out of sympathy for our Commander-in-Chief. I say it because, a lavish slap on the wrist won’t keep him from getting reelected. It’s like bad theater, or an exhibition game with all the players on steroids, yet it’s still selling out.

If P.T. Barnum were here he’d be hawking tickets in front of the Capitol.

He sure wasn’t kidding when he said, ‘There’s a sucker born every minute.’

I’ll say.

And it’s interfering with Christmas since Santa won’t leave Twitter long enough to hop in his sleigh, along with those lazy elves, who are more than happy to get fat collecting unemployment.

No one has even bothered to send cards.

Me?

Dozens.

Why?

It might make you feel a little cheerier?

Happy to be remembered?

Oh shit…just call me crazy.

I’ve gotten two. One from a girl who’s known me 20 years who spelled my name wrong, and another from the Gap, who spelled it right. What does that tell you?

I then went to help decorate a church’s tree, an annual event I look forward to, and left wanting to jump in front of a car. No one but me and an old lady who couldn’t see well showed up to help. Normally there’s a nice buffet with bagels and hot coffee. Instead there was a tin of cheap cookies you get with a full tank of gas, if you’re lucky enough to fill your tank in Jersey.

I’m not a fan of heights so seeing me on a ladder attempting to hang lights had a Hitchcockian feel to it.

Think Janet Leigh in the shower,  Unknown-2.jpeg just in a turtleneck.

The highlight was when the in-house pastor’s French Bulldog ran in and proceeded to eat an ornament.

See, this is what happens when you’re expecting bagels with that holiday schmear.

I will admit, I too had a moment of Scroogeism when I had to tip all the building workers, circling like sharks for those extorted envelopes, but even then I rallied, writing little notes I so wanted to dip in Anthrax, but didn’t.

My suggestion is, deck those fucking halls, even if it kills you.

WHO SAID NAY?

SBunnamed.gif

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, food, humanity, humor, internet, New York City, Politics, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to There Will Be No Christmas This Year

Susannah, or should I say Crazy, little kids are what make the holiday spirit. You have to gather around a few tots, maybe at the library. My two grandchildren (2 1/2, 5 1/2) make my season magic.
    Here is yesterday’s conversation between Colton, the five year old, and his mom. I hope it brings a smile to your morning. Colton was holding a piece of paper with words all over it. Mom-Is it a love note from a girl? C-NO! Mom-A boy? C-NO!! Boys can’t marry boys. Mom-Yes they can. You can marry whoever you want. C-I’m gonna marry a Caterpillar so I can crawl on it and ride it around.
    Kids can always make things better.

Liked by 2 people

2. aFrankAngle says:

Oh the season of joys and frustrations – let alone it’s political timing this year. Meanwhile, this is a post where I still feel your heart and sense of humor. Keep smiling.

Note for Marc … Could this be sarcasm?

Liked by 2 people

It’s amazing how much EFFORT is required to bring the spirit of the season. My boys don’t give a rat’s ass about it. I try to get ’em to help with the tree. Half-hearted is as much as I get, IF that much. One’s already bah-humbugging about Christmas breakfast and how it’s gonna suck (he’s been making it since his father’s departure) because this new house has a shitty kitchen…
    But no. I shall keep on keeping on, even if it kills me!
    I feel ya, Susannah, I feel ya big time.

4. Your are words express a frustration to I too share. One thing to remember…you are right (or left) it is nice to be remembered, and you are so.

I’m down several quarts on my holiday spirit this season. I’m fairly certain that you are right, the news cycle ain’t helping matters in the least.

6. Vasca says:

Once upon a time, I only sent cards to those who sent to me. I outgrew that and now I do those things to spread happiness to lots of people…I expect nothing and I don’t want them feeling obligated to reciprocate. This quote by Booker T. Washington helped spell it out for me…”Those who are happiest are those who do the most for others.” That’s what you do all the time, Susannah. It’s my pleasure to do things for others…whether sending cards, contributing to our employees Christmas fund or secretly sharing gifts and food…just passing joy around. It can even be contagious…who knew? My joy is in giving, my halls are decked, Christ was born and from me to you, Merry Christmas, Susannah.

Liked by 2 people

7. Lots of laughs on this one, Susannah. Way to carry on.

8. Nice, decent attempt at a rant…funny too! Now, please forgive, but I have always been one to gather fun and/or enjoyment out of taking a statement literally…seeing you in “just a turtleneck” would be…fun. Merry Christmas! Ha Ha…I mean Ho!

9. Eilene Lyon says:

Sometimes I think Christmas is over the top, and my tolerance for decorating has waned. We haven’t bothered with a tree for a couple years, but we have the house lit up and a wreath on the door and some silk poinsettias inside. Our gift exchange (always just the two of us) is minimal. We don’t need anything, so I just give to others. A couple random acts of genealogical kindness, for example.

I like your rant, though. A joyful spirit is a beautiful thing and it’s sad no one else showed up for the 🌲 decorating.

• I like what you described. You’ve just created another version of your Christmas. You certainly haven’t given up on it. I make fun of all that I see and do. It’s how I get by. My memories of being a kid at Xmas are good ones since my mother, as insane as she was, loved it and it was passed down to me in a diluted state, if that makes sense.

The why bother business is the way of the world nowadays in all things. It makes me very sad.

Thanks for what you wrote. It cheered me, to use a David Stewart phrase.

10. DECK THE HALLS! MY WIFE SENDS OUT MOST OF THE CARDS—AND WE INDEED STAY MERRY!! IT IS A BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION, AFTER ALL!!!!!

I am not a big Christmas person. Even as a kid it seemed over done. It was a stressful time at our house that I would have been happier without. This year I am not sending cards. I will email those I can and send New Year cards in January to those who I don’t know their email. The Spirit of the season is one for all times not just a few weeks at the end of the year. I am not a Scrooge but I am not all HoHoHo either. 😼

12. -Eugenia says:

I despise politics. Seems to me no matter what side you are on, they act worse than children on a playground.

So, now to the important stuff. I love Christmas and the holiday spirit AND I am going to enjoy every minute of it. Christmas comes from the heart, IMHO! Let’s enjoy the festivities, no matter what one’s political or religious preference, and have fun.