Best Story of the Week…December 20th

Is someone knocking? With my hearing the way it is, one never knows.

Yes, there is, as I pad to the door.

Without my glasses I can’t quite make out who it is from the peep hole, so I call out…who’s there?

No answer.

Uh-oh. Is it a doorman with a baseball bat because I didn’t tip him enough for Christmas?

Hey, it’s the Stephen King in me.

I slowly open the door with the chain on and don’t see anybody, but then look down.

It’s little Mitch, from 6, a 4 year-old who loves to bake, clutching a wrapped package I’m guessing are cookies.

It’s not unusual to meet him and his nanny on the elevator with a smudge of flour on his nose.

“Oh Mitch, forgive me,” I say, “I didn’t know it was you. Didn’t you hear me calling?”

(here it comes)

“Yeah, but my mom says, don’t talk to strangers.”

This struck me funny. “But I’m not a stranger.”

“But it didn’t sound like you.”

It takes a second, but I figure it out.

I have a major head cold, and do sound a little like Lauren Bacall with a touch of Bogie tossed in.

Ya gotta love kids.

SB           images-4.jpg

This entry was posted in Culture, dessert, Family, food, friendship, humanity, humor, kids, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Best Story of the Week…December 20th

1. aFrankAngle says:

Glad to see Mitch taking care of the good lady. 🙂

Kids are the best! I could read stories about their cute antics and sayings all day.

3. ruthsoaper says:

How precious. Not being able to hear someone at the door was one of my concerns when I first lost the hearing in my left ear. That’s when we got our first dog.

4. Super story. How were the cookies?

Mitch sure beats all these food home delivery systems, tell you what.

How sweet is Mitch? And I feel you on the head cold front… Been suffering for a week and a half already. Ugh…
    Get well soon!

7. Vasca says:

Absolutely precious Mitch is!!! I have a 4 yr old great grandson who has his Master’s in Smartypantsology! Impossible to outstep him. Comes up with a punch with every line. Bet he looks like Mitch. That cookie chef is a super neighbor, Susannah. You’re blest to know him as he is to know you! Who knows what he’ll mix up in the near future. Enjoy your cookies! Yummy! Happy munching to you & Mitch both. (Maybe he’ll ask if you’d like to assist some…) Hope your cold goes away soon…very soon! Hugs galore!

A sweet kid and smart,too. Nice to have a neighbor who brings you cookies.

9. No doorman to my home…but my compromised vision means it could have happened to me too.

10. Lol! That was amusing. Hope you are feeling better now.

11. Eilene Lyon says:

You have to wonder what he thought he’d see when the door opened!