Impeaches and Cream

The only thing President Donald J. Trump’s impeachment did for me, was ignite my history, since he now shares the Big Kahuna of congressional admonishments with two other men: Andrew Johnson, Unknown-1.jpeg our 17th President by default, and William Jefferson Clinton, Unknown-2.jpeg number 42, by blow job…forgive my urbanese but what do you call it exactly, a big boo-boo?

I’ll say.

Andrew Johnson’s (no relation to Lyndon though they had succession through assassination in common), firing his Secretary of War without consulting Congress, deserves more understanding considering the state he was in.

He was Lincoln’s Vice-President for ten minutes when Abe got the big bang, making him his successor. Lincoln had replaced Hannibal Hamlin as V.P. hoping a southern sympathizer to the union cause, would help get him reelected, which looked unlikely for a time.

Now here’s where Johnson went slightly off the rails. He found out he was on John Wilkes Booth’s hit list, but George Atzerodt, who was given the job of axing Andy, got cold feet, making it as far as the door of Johnson’s rooming house before running away.

He believed everyone after that was a co-conspirator of Booth’s, including Edwin Stanton, Abe’s formidable Secretary of War. Many believe, including Bill O’Reilly, in his book, Killing Lincoln (2011), that he was a party to the assassination.

Hence…YOU’RE FIRED EDDIE.

So, in the end, the Senate voted to acquit Johnson by a margin of 35 guilty to 19 not guilty – one vote shy of the two-thirds needed to convict, which I suspect will happen to Mr. Trump.

As for Mr. Bill who was charged with High Crimes and Misdemeanors, that sounds like a Milton Bradley game (Perjury and Obstruction of Justice) for making oral history in the Oval with an intern, was also let go like a naughty school boy.

All 45 Democrats in the Senate voted “not guilty” on both charges, as did five Republicans; they were joined by five additional Republicans in voting “not guilty” on the perjury charge.

It’s kind of like standing in the corner with gum on your nose…by recess, it’s all pretty much forgotten, unless of course your cohort got slandered, like Monica, who the Clintons did everything short of putting a hit out on her to get her to swing from her shower rod.

Johnson had a field day executing four prisoners  including Atzerodt and Mary Suratt, who owned the boarding house Booth and his men frequented, including Mary’s son, John, who, unlike his colleagues, managed to escape, not returning even knowing he’d help his mother’s cause, making her the very first woman executed in our country, and the last, by hanging

Just imagine, all this occurred without one Tweet.

If I had one wish it would have been to save Mary from the gallows since imprisonment would have sufficed, and that our present CAPITOL nonsense would cease.

What happened to…and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth?

Have you seen it anywhere?   images.jpeg

This entry was posted in Books, Culture, History, humanity, internet, media, Politics, violence, war, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

54 Responses to Impeaches and Cream

Susannah, as usual your title is so clever. I love your history lessons. Were Mary and her son guilty? If Ed Stanton was a party to Abe’s assassination then he should have been more than fired.
    Concidering that we all pretty much know how this impeachment mess is going to turn out, it seems like a lot of wasted time and money.

• It was never proven Stanton was guilty, and Mary probably knew of the plot to kill Abe and never came forward. Her son was more involved and finally returned to be granted clemency. I still think jail would have been enough. Maybe it’s a woman thing, but the picture of her up on the scaffold always makes me cry.

2. aFrankAngle says:

I appreciate the history lesson delivered with your wit. Truth be told, you know I’m a sucker for your wit. Today, we are government by the people for the party. Former Senator Jeff Flake had a great question for Republicans: How would you react if Barack Obama did the exact same thing? Of course, I have to add: Democrats, how would you react if Barack Obama did the exact same thing? Keep smiling!

Honestly, what the hell does impeachment mean in the end? A slap on the wrist and the world keeps turning and nothing changes?
    All I see, from above the line separating our countries is a lot of talk…
    However, your history lesson is fascinating and I love when you do what you do so well…

• I do love it so. I remember going to Fords Theater practically reliving the night Booth shot Lincoln. I felt it down to my socks. He was actually laughing during the play, My American Cousin, when Booth pulled the trigger. I like thinking that he was blasted into the ether on a laugh. Has a Hicks feel to it. Thanks for reading it.

Your inimitable wit and historical smarts is the reason I have always loved history . . when delivered up by people who know (and love) their stuff.

This latest impeachment pie could be a Don McLean song. Title it “Bye Bye Mr Impeachment Pie”. And to the latest and least Presidential of this trio, I wish nothing. Because he feeds on vitriol, so I ignore his attempts. And I’m hoping and praying that enough like minded peeps ignore him next November at the polls.

5. The line in the play that covered up the shot with laughter was” Don’t know the manners of good society, eh? Well, I guess I know enough to turn you inside out, old gal — you sockdologizing old man-trap!” When I saw the play at Ford’s when that line came up no one laughed. It was if it was sacred. You said it well, Susannah.”What happened to that country?” As a father, I was appalled when Clinton could not resist taking advantage of a star-struck young woman theoretically in his care. At that time, I thought the impeachment process was a waste and still do. Too bad horsewhipping is not in vogue. Happy Holidays to you.

6. I am a very solid believer in the “everything is perfect and works out in the end” idea of life. Mr. Trump, not withstanding, I have faith in the end of things, so I try very hard (and manage most of the time) to not worry.
    I get laughed at a lot and told off a lot – which…is perfect, too.
    Scott

7. Eilene Lyon says:

I’m not seeing any of that under my Christmas tree. But I think we delude ourselves if we think that’s really the sort of government we have ever had in this country. Makes a great sound bite, though.

8. You have a fine take on a sad history. I shutter to think what the Andrew Johnson case would have been like if AJ had a tweeter account. The aTrumpeter has out grossed them all with his new low.

• I’m so disturbed by the photos of him, the lack of humility. John Gotti had a milder expression when he was on trial. Also, this using the whole wretched affair to incite as he campaigns for himself. There it is in a nutshell. It’s still about him, not the betterment of the country. He should be thinking of us, and we’re not even in his eye line, unless you’re at a rally with a placard with his name emblazoned across it. He really is Stalin in an ill-fitting suit and bad hair. Even Joe combed his when he met FDR and Churchill because as slight as it may have been, he was trying for peace as well. Let us have peace, to quote U.S.Grant, not the greatest president but a kinder, more conscious one who too sat where he’s sitting. Forgive me for such a first light rant. It just inflames me so. sigh

9. Vasca says:

It’s really a bad state of affairs with many to blame. The parties are at war with each other; the media feeds the fire and keeps it going. For the three years Trump has been in office (and prior to his election) the opposition has worked at ‘ridding America of Trump’ top of their to-do-list…no matter the cost. They have run rough-shod over this country. One can only imagine how disgusting 2020 will be…I will not listen to anymore trashing. No sane person will desire the office of POTUS. God Himself couldn’t please the parties or the media. Nothing is sacred. And it didn’t begin with Trump. Disgusting isn’t descriptive enough for what goes on in the House and Senate (let alone behind closed doors and in closets)…and we, the people? Do we count? Not a bit…we are simply bystanders in a charade/sham/scam. Oh God, where is integrity? We need it badly! Thanks for the good piece, Susannah. Ho, Ho, Ho…Have a blessed holiday…be happy!

• Nothing is sacred, is what jumped out at me. They’re like the Sharks and the Jets…they just behaved better. Merry Christmas Vasca.

P.S. I never apologized to you for my lack of grace when you sent me that book…I Can’t Hear You. I was having a very hard time adjusting to my hearing loss and felt intruded upon. My feelings were distorted as they say in 12 Step, so again, I’m sorry for being rude to you. It’s so unlike me.

• Vasca says:

Apology gratefully accepted. I totally understood. Your thoughtfulness today is a lovely gift from a lovely lady. Hugs ‘n Love on this beautiful Christmas Eve.