A New Year’s Promise

I find when I call changes I’d like to make in the coming year, resolutions, they never pan out.

But a promise, after all, is a promise, even if it’s only to yourself.

I’ve decided, I’m going to be happier.

To quote Abraham Lincoln…

Most people are as about as happy as they make up their minds to be.

I find this a very practical point of view and glad Abe and I conferred. When you meditate, by the way, you never know who’ll pop up.

I’ve always had a melancholy chord, an F-sharp if you will, that has never left me. It’s why many people, places and things affect me so much.

My heart is like flypaper.

And so was Abe’s, by the way. I know what you’re thinking. Here comes another history lesson.

You’re right, since, Abe was melancholy too.

His mom died when he was very young, left with a dad not exactly the Mike Brady of men, who actually rented Abe out as a worker profiting from his brawn.

I love the word brawn, meaning, physical strength. Abe was 6’4 after all, and became, among other things, our tallest President.

One of the things he always remembered was seeing a slave auction, watching families being sold, separated for life, like faceless cattle, an image that never left him.

If you look at pictures of him, it’s hard to believe he was only 56 when he was shot on Good Friday, 1865, dying four days later.

His heart must have been the size of the whole state of Illinois, his final resting place. But despite a sad, sensitive demeanor, he always kept his sense of humor, telling stories, or yarns as they were called in his day.

His attempt to cheer Mary, his wife, who we now think was bipolar, her erratic behavior a mystery in their day, was an ongoing tribute to his tender, tireless vigilance.

So, on the eve of a brand new decade, on behalf of Abe, who’s better angels were cut short in mid flight, I’ve made up my mind to be happy, because if Mr. Lincoln, with all he had on his mind could, well, so can I.  images-1.jpeg

Happy New Year everyone!

This entry was posted in Beauty, Books, Culture, History, humanity, humor, inspiration, Politics, war, words, writing and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to A New Year’s Promise

Bravo, Susannah!

I don’t do resolutions but promises to and for myself as well.
    Your promise is an excellent one.
    Loved the story of Abe…

2. I dated a bipolar woman many years ago…Abe did quite well..omg.
    (mine was unmedicated most of the time, too)

3. To be happier is a marvelous promise. I’m going to follow your lead and try it. I told myself the other day that I could smile and go on or grumble. (I can easily be depressed when I’m very tired.) It worked!

Happy New year!

What a great promise, Susannah. Happiness is definitely a state of mind; how one reacts to situations.
    Renting your kids out for labor wasn’t uncommon back then, or even more recently. Pookie’s father used to trade his labor for hay or other barter materials. Needless to say, he and I had radically different childhoods.
    Have a ‘Happy’ New Year!

5. aFrankAngle says:

A wonderful perspective – besides, so much of life is about the perspective we chose. Cheers to your perspective and heart – All the best to you for 2020.

6. I always like a historical perspective, Susannah. I think you have picked the best example to follow. Wishing you a very Happy New Year.

I hope you find your happy in 2020, SB.

Happy New Year

Happy New Year, Susannah! 🎶🎉🍸~Elle

9. Is happiness really that simple to achieve…just make up your mind? Perhaps, Abe was a smart guy. He loved to tell funny stories. He had a good sense of humor. His work touched lots of people in a positive way. Maybe, these factors are all part of being happy. Cheers to you.

10. Vasca says:

I do not make ‘resolutions’ either. Changes? Yes, I must make adjustments, changes and they aren’t easy. I’m a recovering ‘Michael-less’ and it’s taking effort to stay on track. My word for 2020 is ‘Thoughtfulness’. I promise to be always thoughtful which will bring me happiness. To you Susannah, my friend…I pray you will be blest with being happy from this day on and I know you will keep your promise ’cause you’re that kind of girl. Happy New Year…always!

• Thoughtfulness seems a thing of the past. I find quite often it’s misinterpreted as if one wants something using it cunningly. Suspicion sets in. It’s a shame really since it’s not the case at all, but the way the works is these days, one can at least understand it. Happy New Year to you Vasca.

11. Gail says:

Personally, I find happiness as an objective to be too much pressure, but I admire your courage for taking it on. Happy New Year!