A Gentleman Caller

It’s around 3 A.M. when I get up to write, a habit of mine if I can’t sleep. I don’t feel lonely often, but for the past few days I’ve had a yearning I can’t seem to quench.

It happens.

After making coffee, I empty the grounds into a plastic bag to leave outside my door to not forget when I go for my run.

When I open it, who’s sprawled on Mimi’s welcome mat that’s still in front of her door, but Patrick, the cat.

Mimi was our dear neighbor and friend who passed away a while ago, who adored Patrick and would leave him treats, something he clearly remembers.

Pat and I look at each other, and realize what my yearning is all about.

I miss Mimi too.

I creep across the hall in my pjs, picking Patrick up, purring like a motor boat, as a tear slides down my face.

I invite him in for a bowl of milk he accepts, as my gloom takes flight.

God speaks in many languages, doesn’t he, using whatever creature he has on hand.

This is my 2000th blog essay, dedicated to…

Eugenie “Mimi” O’Hagen (1930-2018)

This entry was posted in animals, Faith, friendship, grace, humor, inspiration, Love, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

98 Responses to A Gentleman Caller

1. A spirit lives on …and friendship survives as it purrs at you.

2. That’s marvelous that Patrick was connecting to Mimi, too. Purrhaps an angel put the two of you together. God bless you and Patrick.

3. aFrankAngle says:

Interesting how different agents deliver reminds. This time Patrick – next time something total different – even totally unexpected …. yet all reminders about Mimi. Well done, Susannah – and another example of sharing your heart.

Congratulations on number #2000. (I love milestones) 🙂 … Your occasion got me wondering about how I celebrate the occasion at my place. The date was January 21, 2018 – a low-key post focusing on a bit of reflection about my little corner of the world. Cheers to your longevity – and why did it take so long for use to find each other? Glad we did.

4. Rubenstein, Hal says:

Congrats on 2000 ! Hope you have a happy and healthy 2020 !

Best,
    Hal

The angels do speak, and sometimes there is no mystery to what they’re saying.

Congratulations on your 2,000th post, Ms Thin Girl

There are angels of all sorts walking or purring or gigging or soaring…amongst us.
    So glad Patrick brought you some comfort in the wee hours of the morning.
    2000 – wow! That is far away for me…

7. Congrats on 2k post! That’s somewhat more than I. I am looking forward to that feat.
    Yes, God does use animals a lot. My cat often carries me through those times when I wonder about dating again or whatever. I don’t feel that way often, anymore, as I realize how much freedom I have and love…would I give that up? Who knows? But, realizing that often helps me push it away for another day.
    Scott

I’m thankful for the essence of lovely people that continues to envelop us long after they are gone. I’m guessing that Mimi’s spirit immediately zoomed back to her apartment where she was happy. I swear that animals have the ability to communicate with those who have passed. I’m glad Patrick was able to ease the emptiness you were feeling.

9. -Eugenia says:

Congrats on your 2000th blog essay dedicated to Eugenie “Mimi” O’Hagen (1930-2018)! That’s dedication.

10. Thank you for your 2000th blog! I’m happy to have run across your page oh so long ago. Congratulations!