A Little Tenderness

I’m in Starbucks crying, the happiness I promised myself nowhere to be found.

While huddled in a corner wrapped in layers of wool, wondering if spring will ever come again, a baby in the tiniest red hoodie, toddles over to hand me a napkin.

He looks at me like an angel on duty, eyes big and round.

When I look to his mom, she shrugs and says, “I had nothing to do with it. He’s very sensitive, and has been, even when I carried him. He never kicked, came into being easily, like he did it all before. His dad calls him, our little, old soul.”

All this time he’s standing by me, eyes big and round, waiting for me to trade my tears for hope, or at the very least, a smile.Β  images.jpeg

This entry was posted in Faith, Family, grace, humanity, humor, inspiration, kids, New York City, parents, Starbucks, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to A Little Tenderness

What a tender soul and true little gentleman. I would love to fast-forward so I could see his future. I bet he carries a clean hankie for damsels in distress. I’m glad he helped bring some sunshine for you.

2. I’m so happy that little angels minister to you.

3. aFrankAngle says:

And I had the feeling it worked .. well, at least temporarily. Hugs to you!

4. ruthsoaper says:

I suspect you were as good for him as he was for you. Wishing you a wonderful day. πŸ™‚

SB,

January is the worst. Except for February. I say we trade these couple of months to the highest scrap heap bidding kingpins and let March roar us into spring.

As for your little angel, that fella has quite a future in romance ahead of him.

Keep your chin up, young lady. πŸ™‚

Oh man, Susannah… January and February are the worst as Marc said. March gives us some hope but usually dumps the worst of the snowstorms. Bring me April (besides being my birth month, is actually when we, north of you, finally see signs of spring.)

That little angle – I’ve no words. I agree with his dad; he is an old and very caring soul. Some girl will be very lucky one day…

Sending you some warmth and smiles and I’ll make sure Wednesday is particularly sunny, k?

7. Are you sure he wasnt furry and have four legs? After all, we are renowned for bringing a smile to the face of sadness and a warmth to the heart of those who seek solace.

8. It is nice to have a sweet distraction on those days. I hope those days are few and far apart.

9. Mostly, I believe we have all done this before. Different souls remember different amounts and things. It all works out perfectly. You needed a good cry followed by hope. I am hopeful that I get to do this again, but know more when I start out. I am very happy now, but did spend a lot of time crying over the years about things that, mostly, don’t matter now.

10. Clever Girl says:

I have to say, you’re really tugging my heartstrings with these postings. Keep ’em coming, it’s making me believe in humanity again in these turbulent times.

11. Vasca says:

There truly are angels among us and I like what was posted in these comments…everything that’s good, is God…I like that and believe it. I had many crying spurts during the holidays…Michael was all over me and I so wanted to be wrapped in his warmth. Had no angel to gallantly lift me with such kindness as you were gifted. I read this recently; “a great attitude becomes a great mood which becomes a great day which becomes a great month which becomes a great year which becomes a great life.” Spring will come but I’m making the best of each day…today I’ll make it good. There is love and as my favorite song goes…Love Changes Everything…it does even if we must search for it. Have a good one Susannah…hugs ‘n love to you my friend.

12. The innocent small child is a true gift. Thanks for sharing.