A Little Caboose

I should just switch my site to a train travelogue since, once again, I have a tender tale to share.

I’m on the N Train, the Broadway local into Queens, when, as I make my way to the stairs to exit, come upon a young mom and her little girl that’s no more than 2.

The kid is screaming because she doesn’t want to be held, preferring to walk on her own. The mother, all of 20, looks Polish to me with a round, doughy face that tries her best to calm her child, who’s having none of it.

I say as I tool by, “She’s already so independent, and oh so cute.” The kid, all female, stops wailing, basking in the compliment, before going back to her version of Twist and Shout.

Finally, her mother gives up, putting her down while those crocodile tears shut down like a sprinkler.

She then, expertly grabs the railing proceeding to walk.

I offer to take their stroller down, but Mom says a polite no thanks, as we both watch how each step takes 5 minutes since, the tiny diva thinks nothing of resting after each one.

You couldn’t help but to smile, this wee bossy bundle in pink who knows perfectly well she’s gotten her way, now giggling her spoiled half-pint head off.

It’s like watching a YouTube video, just LIVE.

By the time she reaches the bottom of the stairway, a crowd has gathered.

As she makes it to the landing, we all clap, our parental slips, all showing.

Just goes to show you, women, big or small, will always tell you, who’s boss, and don’t you dare forget it.    🙂

images.jpeg

This entry was posted in Culture, Family, humanity, humor, inspiration, kids, New York City, parents, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to A Little Caboose

Susannah, two year olds are notorious for their independence. My two and a half year old grand-daughter wants to do EVERYTHING herself and has plenty of attitude to boot. She insisted I unzip the coat I just zipped so she could zip it up herself.
    I love that your fellow travelers gave an ovation when the diva’s mission was accomplished.

2. Vasca says:

Love this tiny diva. Our clan is heavy on the boy side (4 sons,, 8 grandsons, 2 grand-daughters (100% sassy divas) 2 great-grandsons and 1 very sassy and independent great-grandgirl who is 4 going on 21. Ellie carries her own container full of crocodile tears – set on ready!!! Clapping please (delights all little divas). You and the crowd added such a great ovation for that sweetie. Thanks for the happy dance.

3. aFrankAngle says:

What a pleasant surprise because I had no hint of how this tale would end. A good feeling for my morning.

I can picture it, this little lady clumsily tap dancing her way along with an enrapt audience.

You could not pay me to go back to that time. No, wait. No. Definitely not. Mind you, I had boys but guess what? “They can do it themselves” too… And boy, do they love an audience…
    Adorable share, Susannah. I love these.

6. She may grow up to be a politician.

Liked by 2 people

7. Clever Girl says:

I’ve forgotten my Boss Lady role. I’m putting on a damn pink tutu and making my presence known!

I wasn’t a diva until I was a teenager. I wouldn’t dare incur the wrath of parents when I was a little girl. Around twelve I came into my own and became the real me…sorta. Some kids just know how to rule the world right from their first cry.

• Yes, that seems to be the case. I was like a scared cat. Of course if you had a mother like mine you’d be scared to, however, I’m not sure I’d even want to be a diva since, they can be the ultimate pill. A thin girl’s 2 cents.

9. Eilene Lyon says:

You ever submit any of these adorable tales to the NYT metropolitan diaries column?

10. Most of your posts are, at least, newspaper worthy.
    Did have a question to which, I believe, I know the answer. Your comment about “we all clap, our parental slips, all showing.” You don’t have a child, do you? Just curious. Tell me to keep to myself if need be.