The Writing Life

images-2.jpegWriting keeps me afloat.

Writing keeps me sane.

Writing keeps me warm on a cold day. What does that mean exactly?

It gives me hope.

I’ve written all my life. When my mother locked me in my room in the attic like a jail cell, I wrote. Poems mostly. Couldn’t have been more than 7 or 8 figuring they were useless and lost, until years later, when my dad died of alcoholism.

After the hospital gave me his personal effects, there in his wallet tied with string, was a little couplet I penned called…He. The ink had run, the edges frayed, but there I was, published in his billfold.

Paul Auster said, “becoming a writer is not a career decision like becoming a doctor or a policeman. You don’t choose it so much as get chosen.” I understand this since, I have little choice but to write.

My blog has been a gift since, it gives me a place to be when I can’t be anywhere else. It’s like the gym…you can work out on the page, keeping your writing muscle taut.

I try not to judge what appears especially when tears transform into words. Meeting your feelings head on, writing them down is freeing. You shed that skin you’ve been so uncomfortable in, allowing you to move forward.

I’m inspired by the blogs I read, and grateful for the handful of readers I have.

I’m also sparked by writers long gone who encourage and teach from the ether, like Carrie Fisher who said,

Take Your Broken Heart and Turn It Into Art.

I just spent the week with Hemingway and already have slimmed down my prose, making it clearer, less flowery, and of course Kurt has me pruning those adverbs.

I’ve been working on something, worried what’s going to happen next, but then remember E.L. Doctorow’s quote:

It’s like driving a car at night. You never see further than your headlights, but you can make the whole trip that way.

Writing keeps me afloat.

Writing keeps me sane.

Writing keeps me warm on a cold day.Β  images-1.jpeg

This entry was posted in Books, creative writing, readng, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to The Writing Life

Susannah, I love the quote by Doctorow. Thank you for sharing so many gems with us. And thank you for sharing your feelings, insights, and observations. I enjoy your blog so much.

2. aFrankAngle says:

Susannah,
    Not surprised, but this is a wonderful, personal tribute to writing as an art. So have stated many good reasons about the importance of writing. As I’ve said before, I love your writing – so much so, I smile when receiving a new-post notification.

There is a prowess to your pen that goes full bloom when you get going on a thought or a moment. I’m often overcome with this feeling, it’s much like that of a child who’s taking a car ride to a new and exciting place; the scenes unfolding inside moving windows. It’s a wonderful peace afforded me when I read you. Thank you for that.

4. That is so touching that your dad had one of your poems in his wallet.

I resonate with this post. You put into words the way writing works in my life. I don’t choose to write. I am compelled to let words flow through my fingers.

When we lived in England, I wrote a letter a week to John’s parents and mine. I was totally surprised to find out my mom used those letters for her book club program. I still hug that to my heart.

Liked by 2 people

5. You express my feelings about writing exactly. Well done.

This is you, writing at your best, Susannah. Straight from your heart to the page, in beautiful prose. I love that you discovered your father kept that one frayed poem. Gave me a clench in my heart.
    Keep on writing (I know, you can’t stop) and I’ll keep on reading.

7. Gail says:

Your writing does something else. It makes your readers smile.

8. I love this, Susannah, especially the part about your dad keeping your writing in his wallet. That means a lot. Another good thing about the blog is that people can connect through writing and share parts of themselves with people all around the world. Thanks for sharing so much.

• Lookie here, it’s my pal David from greenwalledtower. Yeah, my dad was a fan. Who knew? He was the saddest man so I know where I get my melancholy streak from, also my love of Snickers Candy Bars. πŸ™‚

You put all of yourself into your writing and you shine brightly. I always look forward to what you have to say. So sweet that your father kept one of your poems in his pocket. You were very special to him and he obviously loved you.

• That is a lump in your throat tale, I’ll admit. He was such a broken man, alcoholism claiming him before he was 50. It took me years to learn, it’s a sickness, not a mere indulgence. Thanks, as always.

10. I am not a “simply have-to” writer, but when I do write, for that time, I am a “must” writer. What that has entailed over the years has led to a small successful writing career (mostly, with no pay, but there was some), publication in 4 story collection, 2 books self-published on Amazon, 1 book on Amazon under pseudo name, and a 1100+ postings in my blog (just having begun my 11th year.
    I am satisfied and happy…until I am not.
    Scott
    PS- I know I said it before, but your book about you and 2 models was truly enjoyed by this someone.

11. V Ramasamy says:

Very nice article. I thoroughly enjoyed.

12. Pingback: The Writing Life β€” athingirldotcom | L.A. Kennedy

13. I like your image of being present on the page when you’re cold on a winter day…time to warm up on the page. Nice.