Fruitful Thoughts

Lately I’ve been adding a clementine to my morning oatmeal, tossing it in while it simmers on the stove.

Which brings me to Whole Foods, trolling for one. Despite their mammoth fruit and produce department, none are in sight, until I spot a bunch in a bushel. I say to the nearby fruit man, “How much are these, so I can tell the cashier since they aren’t marked.”

He grabs it out of my hand like an autographed baseball and says,”No for sale yet.”

“Why not? Just tell me what they’ll be.”

“I say, no for sale,โ€ deigns the Zeus of Fruit.

I’m pissed, but have no time to fight with a guy whose name tag says, Hecto, the r falling off somewhere between pears and beets.

As I pad home, still dreaming of a little citrus waltzing with my oats, I see my favorite fruit man on the corner.

Having no cash, I say, “Can I take a clementine, and pay you later?โ€ He says, with a smile that always reminds me of a crooked fence, “I do one better, I give it to you.”

I smile, my faith in humanity restored when he says, “Please, take two.”ย  ๐Ÿ™‚

Unknown-4.jpeg

This entry was posted in Culture, food, Gratitude, humanity, humor, New York City and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Fruitful Thoughts

1. Your shoping trip was fruitful, after all. I found it apPEALing. Not the same old gRIND.

What a story! You almost have to live in NY to believe it.

2. Gail says:

Something for nothing in NYC? You must be a charmer.

3. ruthsoaper says:

So glad your faith was restored. There really are still good people in the world and your story is a great reminder of that.

4. Alien Resort says:

The produce guy doesn’t want to sell them if they’re too fresh.

I am not gonna join in on all the fruit puns (coz, I basically suck at them). However, I will say Hecto is a putz. And I just hate when they put stuff out that is not for sale… what the hell?
    Thank goodness for your very sweet fruit man. I’ve no doubt you are just as generous with him as he was with you.

6. The kindness of a guy on the corner illustrates that a good deed can be a โ€œfruitfulโ€ endeavor.

Why would a Whole Foods put food out on the floor of not for sale? Weird.! But it led to a street vendor who have you a gift. Wonderful!

8. Vasca says:

I love Clementine’s and I love this tale. ‘Nice’ shouldn’t be for sale. A while back I went to my d-i-laws hair salon for the whole works..I had been there before but it was a tad expensive so this was my treat to me….it was my b’day. Chris, the owner, did me up and when it was time to cough up the $$$$$$’s he hugged me and said “I found out it was your birthday so happy birthday from me to you”. Enjoy! Being nice and kind should be the way of life. Enjoy your oats w/clementine…delish!!!

Since Hecto was a pup just doesn’t have the same ring to it . . .

Not selling produce that is on display is so strange.Luckily, you met a clementine hero.
    My grandchildren love them; easy to peel and separate. Gotta keep that vitamin C coming to help keep the germs away.

11. The difference between bigger commerce and the smaller merchant.

“You can’t have that” (I doubt we will see you again) and “Hey have two” (I will see that lady tomorrow and the day after).

Why must some people be so insular and greedy, it really spoils the world sometimes.

• The Whole Food crew collectively are very rude. They arrive hating the Upper East Side that letโ€™s just say, doesnโ€™t have the best reputation charm wise. I of course by nature am nicer, but Hector, without the r, assumed I was a bitch too. Sigh. Now Abdul the vendor knows me. That crooked fence of a smile, well we can say, itโ€™s gate is always open. ๐Ÿ˜Š

12. Clever Girl says:

Screw Hector. And I say that with the R falling off. I pick so much citrus this time of year here in Cali. All my neighbor’s trees are jammed with fruit (no pun intended)… tangerines, grapefruit, oranges, Meyer lemons. I pick massive amounts and give them away.

13. I would have liked to chew her out.

14. Vasca says:

Your post whetted my appetite for a clementine so I ordered a little box of them. Shipt deliverers my goods ’cause I’m not near anything else; one of the delivery persons occasionally brings me a bouquet of flowers just being kind. Had clementines for breakfast this morning, thanks to you Susannah! Hugs!

15. Sounds like Hecto is the kind of guy who likes things exactly so. At least he’s nice though.