A Banana For Your Thoughts

It’s an early misty morning as I go out for a walk, not feeling my best.

Before coming home, I stop at the all night fruit stand to buy a banana, to steady myself since I feel a little dizzy.

Having no cash, not unusual for me, I scrape together 18 cents from my array of pockets, 7 cents short. Yes a banana on the street only costs a quarter, besides the Staten Island ferry, the best deal in town.

I approach the fruit man, one I’ve never met since he’s on night duty, and brightly ask, if I may have a small banana for what I have in my hand.

He snarls like a cat. “No. It’s 25 cents.”

A little taken aback since, normally there would have been no issue, since I’ve charged fruit before, always coming back to pay, plus there were a good 50 bananas on display about to be sacked since they were pretty much, too ripe, unless you were baking an immediate pie.

“Really?” I say, then point to a very tiny one, “how bout that one?”

“NO…I SAID NO.”

Now I’m shocked and dizzy, but just then a young girl comes over and silently hands me two quarters, walking away before I can even thank her, realizing, this is exactly what I would have done witnessing this unfortunate exchange.

I hand him his quarter leaving with, “You’re not very nice.”

I’m suddenly so angry by the flash of pique over a fucking banana that I tell Farouk, my doorman, what happened.

He listens, shakes his head on my behalf then says, “You know, he worked all night (just like Farouk) and probably hasn’t eaten. He, I’m sure, has all kinds of people asking him for things, and you were just one more too many. As pretty as you are.”

Thawing at the pretty part, I then remember he did only have three teeth, so alas, her stone cold heart softens.

When I see the owner of the cart later on, I don’t complain to him, my initial plan, but instead, buy grapes before going on my humbled way.

I remember the sweet girl who rode in on her steed to help, reminding me that, despite circumstances, we truly reap what we sow.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, food, humanity, humor, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

60 Responses to A Banana For Your Thoughts

1. aFrankAngle says:

Thanks for the smiles that you brought to start my morning.

Susannah, it’s enlightening to be on the other side of the coin. Now you know firsthand how wonderful the appearance of a knight in shining armor can be. Yes, there are the few who take umbrage, but continue your gallant quest for those in need of a banana.
    Your doorman is very wise.

3. The pics show the banana smiling. You have an understanding, forgiving heart. The man should not have been rude to you.

4. The banana man was lucky you are a kindly person.

No matter how you peel it, grace and humility never go out of style.

Wise words from Farouk, kindness from a stranger (yes, proof that karma is returned in full) and al ends well…

Two thoughtful people cancel out the one that was rude. Hope you felt better after your banana and encounters. This is the last you will see me for awhile as I will be on sort of a Lent sabbatical. I will miss you!

8. Vasca says:

I like Farouk, very thoughtful gentle man apparently. You never know what has gone on in someone’s life and Farouk was on target. Life is hard – harder for some than others so it’s good to take a quick stop and ‘do the right thing’. Wonderful you had Chiquita Banana step up and save your day…maybe his also. You never know about others ’til you’ve walked in their shoes. Banana manna Suzanne…love the event…’specially the outcome.

9. That was a beautiful story, fable, memory.
    I would have given you the money, too. Though, I am sure that a little bit (just a wee bit), would be because of the “pretty” part. I might have added a nasty comment toward the vendor, so, I need some work yet.

10. The little girl with the quarters has given us a good model for behavior…the fruit guy not so much. Thanks for sharing such a meaningful moment.