Classic Fashion Always In Style

images-3.jpeg I’ve dressed the same way ever since seeing Audrey Hepburn in Love in the Afternoon. Her simple, sleek style becoming my own.   images-3.jpeg

images.jpeg

Pair that with a cousin who wore faded Levis with a man’s white button-down, adding a navy blazer beneath a Barbour jacket a boyfriend bought me.

Penny loafers sealing the deal.

The navy blazer that myth or fact states, was born in the mid 1800s to the British Royal Navy, before making its way to Cambridge as the uniform of all young Englishmen.images-3.jpeg

America got hers in 1930, by way of Brooks Brothers, still a feature every season since. images.jpeg A smart wardrobe staple whether you’re a business man, or just a girl who likes an androgynous touch. images-3.jpeg

Levi Strauss, a Bavarian who in 1850, sold work pants, or waist high coveralls, as they were called, to miners during the height of the Gold Rush…Unknown.jpeg voila…the blue jean is born.

I have two pair over 20 years old, patched, sewn, restored and resuscitated, making them the envy of all who now buy them that way.

Save your jeans, I say,  Unknown-1.jpeg and treat them like grandparents whom you love and respect.

I do have a newer pair when the distress ones aren’t quite as appropriate, but the look is the same, one a little ratty, but both, quite natty, a great word to pair with classic...(of a person or an article of clothing) smart and fashionable: a natty blue blazer and designer jeans.

The white button-down, the kind your dad wore, another Brooks Brothers exclusive, patterned after Polo Players selling in 1950 to all men of distinction, Unknown-1.jpeg then to all men and boys, who just needed a clean, white shirt.  Unknown-2.jpeg

Mustn’t forget those women of distinction. images-2.jpeg

The Barbour Jacket, created by a Scotsman named John Barbour, siring J. Barbour and Sons LTD of England in 1894, making them out of oil cloth to be worn in inclement weather. images-2.jpeg Hunters, soldiers and Susannahs, 121 years later, still would never be without a Bedale three quarter jacket in their closet.

Did I mention how great it looks, and can be worn right over that blazer without making you look awkwardly overdressed?

Less is more when you can leave for the day, layered, comfy and chic, which takes us to…

the penny loafer, images-2.jpeg or slip-on-shoe, in 1936 first called Bass Weejuns I wore in high school, still owning a pair with pennies properly installed.

Slip-on flats, my shoe of choice, along with kitten heels, a cross between a stiletto and pump, that can dress up or down any outfit. imagesAdd Converse Sneakers and you’re set to go…

ANYWHERE.

The Converse Company began in 1908 making boots, seguing into sneakers. When Charles ‘Chuck’ Taylor, a semi-professional basketball player joined the company in 1921 as a salesman, he urged them to make a better shoe…hence, The Chuck Taylor All-Stars are born.

High Tops, Low Tops, laces or without, nothing is more compatible with your jeans, button-down and blazer than…

a pair a’ Chucks.    images-2.jpeg

You don’t need tons of money to dress well and comfortably if you choose classic, investing a few bucks rather than falling for a fad ending up at the Goodwill.

Let’s leave it at that.

SB          getPart-3.jpg

This entry was posted in Beauty, Culture, Fashion, History, inspiration, media, money, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

92 Responses to Classic Fashion Always In Style

1. What do you do with all the extra space in your closet?

I remember when wearing your dad’s white shirt was all the rage. My friend gave me one of her father’s shirts. My father was a farmer who only had one that he refused to give me.
    In grade school I put nickels in my loafers and thought it made me look rich.
    If only I had embraced Audrey’s thin style like you. Instead, I spend my teens trying to make my stick body have the allure of Marilyn Monroe’s.

3. aFrankAngle says:

I agree … classy and timeless works! … and Audrey Hepburn definitely is the standard – so you’ve chosen a good role model to follow. Now I have something to remember – if I ever come to NYC, wear a white, buttoned down shirt.

Classic is, well, classic for a reason. It always remains in style and you never look like yesterday’s news. I never was the trendy type, though I never feel I can pull off style.
    This style is perfectly suited to you!

5. Jack says:

Can’t miss with Brooks Brothers and that Barbour jacket looks so cool on you Susannah. I miss my Bass pennies!

So chic, SB. You are one of the cool kids without even trying. 🙂

7. Vasca says:

I love the navy blazer; it always looks fantastic. My favorite ladies remain Audrey Hepburn along with the awesome Katherine Hepburn…so ultra simple…paired with class. My go-too’s. My mother always said simple…elegance ruled. She’s rather have just one great piece than a closet full of faddies. I watched and learned. Chic is the winner. I have my sneakers, button down white shirt…etc. Simple little black dress. Kitten heels are my only heels. Cool to be always simply in style. Thanks for the lovely piece.

• My friend Jackie who was brought up in France, taught me, that you’re better buying a good suit, and 3 blouses, rather than a medley of mistakes. I’m still like that. I was 25 at the time.

• Vasca says:

Susannah, I had the most beautiful black suit, plain but so classy…loved it, cherished one. Tragedy struck, it accidentally was put in the laundry unnoticed and forever ruined. I still miss it. Your friend Jackie was right…and I wish I could duplicate my suit. Tragic to this day!

• I would think that wouldn’t be hard to replace, being so basic and all.

8. For those of us living in a rain forest, a pair of ExtraTuf rubber boots are part of our “sartorial splendor.”

9. blogsam20 says:

Love this classic style. Thanks for sharing.

10. We’re like cousins who have a common heritage and interests.

11. We are rarely common.

12. Well, go figure. I woke up completely blank.

13. And, here I am, buying and wearing my hooded no-zip sweat top with my School name emblazed on it, as much as I can. Now, adding another that has “Law of Attraction’ across the front, canvas slip-ons, and sweat or jean bottoms.
    I don’t claim to be a fashion icon, just comfortable.
    Scott

14. So true: black band out is very classy and classic doesn’t go out of style…great article

15. So right… the most classic fashion never goes out of style