Gone Fishin’

God just called and said, even he’s had it, he’s headed to the Sea of Galilee for a little trout fishing.

My life is breaking down like the circus leaving town. I woke up to the news that my trusty 12 Step meeting was closed till further notice.

It’s as if Lourdes shut her doors.

I know I won’t pick up a drink, but my alcoholism compared to many is small change.

The other day a man in his 70s, grizzled, crusty, reminded me of an old sailor with many tales of shipwrecks to tell, said…he was much more afraid of picking up a drink then he was of the Coronavirus.

My heart was suddenly on the seat next to me weeping, wringing its hands.

The most I’ll do is eat a pie, but what about him. Toss in the churches randomly closing like pup tents and he’s pretty fucked, forgiving my parlance because prayer walks hand and hand with sobriety, whether you’re a believer or not.

Every day something else weirder occurs.

My library announced that it would have two days for members to stock up on books, then it was closing till at least the first of April.

Considering that’s April Fools Day, I’m sure not expecting banners and confetti.

When I naturally went, the serial reader that I am, you were only allowed into the stacks, no other part of the library. Some fearful fool as if none of us understood English, put yellow tape along all the doors like a crime scene with big black printed signs…

KEEP OUT

It was suddenly 1940 and the Germans had taken over Paris.

Next came, Starbucks pulling out all the seats so you couldn’t stay. Take-out only. That I’m sure will be the next crime scene to be posted…

CLOSED TILL FURTHER NOTICE

Church, coffee and recovery all on hold.

I’ll tell ya.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, and I sure hope those fish are jumpin’.

Sigh

Susannah in a sling

Unknown.jpeg

This entry was posted in alcohol, Books, Culture, Faith, Health, humanity, humor, New York City, Starbucks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Gone Fishin’

1. aFrankAngle says:

A story …. Seemingly simple as news – but truly personal. A story beyond the closing about impact. A story about multiple concerns. Best of luck to you and to all. …. Thanks for sharing in your style.

• You know, I’m sitting here like any moment It will be my only choice. I blame Washington for acting so slowly thinking China had nothing to do with us. I haven’t gone there in a post since, how would it help the fearful and frightened. It wouldn’t. We’ve been stripped of our arrogance Frank, and I pray, that our humility since, I believe we’re being tested, will be sincere enough to reinstate us so life, a better more compassionate one, can resume. Thanks. Appreciate what you wrote.

• aFrankAngle says:

Stripped of our arrogance or the arrogance of those with power have stripped of our humility, compassion, and dignity? We may be saying the same thing. Keep your head up. Stay your course. … and be patient.

• Patience is not one of my strong points. Now they’re saying we’ll be sheltered. If so, I’ll feel like Tarzan in a cage. It’s moot to blame anyone for this, but…I think if China was taken more seriously earlier, it wouldn’t have gotten so out of hand. Humility did you say? We’re all on our knees.

2. My heart was weeping with you until the end. Church, coffee, and recovery made me laugh. You can give any tale the most delicious twist.

Since you are a writer, I wonder if you could organize a group chat (cell phone texting) with others in your AA group. You could meet at specific times. Everyone would see the whole conversation.

Liked by 2 people

• They have online meetings. And they’re doing all they can do, but after yesterday’s announcement 10 people, no more, in a gathering, they truly had no choice. The whole concept of recovery is…all are welcomed into the fold. They couldn’t stand outside behind a rope line refusing that 11th person. This too shall pass…I for one, need to believe it will, and soon. Thanks.

One of my daughters is a waitress/bartender and is now out of a job. Her husband is a massage therapist/waiter and has no customers or job. Luckily his family owns a large commercial garden/farm and have work for him. All my sub jobs are gone, but that’s okay for now.
    Let’s hope that the drastic measures we are taking are enough to stem this virus!

This whole crazy situation affects us all in ways we don’t realise. Little and not so little. It is good that you have your humour to help you through this. This too shall pass indeed… But count us in as your community cheering you on.

• I’m trying. Ran into a man I know when I went out to the bank, and he took me to a meeting that was still on. God works in strange ways. Felt a little less unmoored, but the day is young. What will happen next. Stay tuned.

5. Vasca says:

I am in lockdown along w/four floors of other vulnerable, elderly people. Our management is taking every precaution to protect us from the virus. Your piece is touching and my heart aches for you, Susannah. Thankful you found a meeting place; I hope the man you mentioned also found help. It’s most important that we pull together…to encourage rather than moan and groan. One of my four sons called this morning, checking on me and we discussed how we could help. God is always in charge and of course He is watching this. My prayers, my hopes are for this country to hunker down and put out best efforts to work. Love your neighbor as yourself – trust in the Lord – be kind in everything we do – God knows our hearts and loves us. Hang in there, girl. Keep on doing what you excel at…that is extremely important and don’t give up or in. Hugs ‘n Love.

• I’m not as Godly as you, and wonder, where he is, then I’m told, he’s in the thick of it. It helps for me to read Anne Lamott, a late in life believer who translates in a language I somehow understand. New York is under siege in a way that’s hard to describe. She’s been humbled may be the best way to express it. Thanks.

• Vasca says:

Hey, I’m not so Godly, Susannah. I’m simply doing the best I can. Remember He is the last to bat and never loses. New York among other cities (most) are humbled in a way we’d never imagined…so quiet, still…on knees. I began my blog as an encouragement to others; I intend keeping it encouraging. You do that beautifully…always!

• Glad you’re okay.

6. I believe you have my email if you need to talk or listen or both.
    I understand it all. Never became a drinker much as it caused me a relationship or two because of how I spout off when I have had 3 mixed drinks. And I fell in love with the Little Mermaid, Ariel, after too much Champagne.
    Our stores here are becoming empty, but I have what I need for a couple of weeks (probably). Didn’t binge shop (1 extra cat food bad and 1 litter), but will need milk (of course, Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk – decent brand, too or it takes like sea water).
    Today, I even snuck out with “2” (big no-no) 4-packs of Angel Soft toilet paper for Mom – “sometimes better to ask forgiveness than ask permission.”
    All eating places have been ordered to serve curbside, driveup, or deliveries. My favorite place may have to close for awhile. All the poor servers are not working, not getting paid right now.
    I did buy Mom and I dinner from Cracker Barrel today.
    We are all hanging on.
    Scott

7. It is tough. I know. Hang in there with us. You are worth it.

8. As I said on Marc’s post, for some reason I wasn’t getting your notifications. All is fixed. We are all in the same mess. It is sad that there are those who need to gather together for their own sanity. Let’s just prey that this will be over and we can go back to normalcy again. Take care of yourself, Susannah. My thoughts are certainly with you.