Battle Cry

HELP!

Yes, I’m posting more than usual, my art my only weapon, weathering this raging storm.

Trying to stay peaceful during this, along with flossing, are my two biggest challenges.

Every day my doormen add an accessory to their uniform. It began simply with gloves that changed colors, like the women’s counter at Bloomingdales. White, to green, green to blue, now basic black.

Then came masks preventing you to hear anything they have to say, and now notice they’re wearing plastic slickers. When I asked about this, my day man said, you could have the virus on your jacket as you pass me going out.

My Barbour and I just looked at each other, and no, I didn’t spray it with Lysol.

Don’t take my sarcasm for smugness, because I know what it’s like to be afraid.

Faith and fear have been battling it out in my mind as if I were ringside at the Garden.

There are more police patrolling than ever before, and not in a comforting way. It’s menacing rather than reassuring the way they look at you with their hand on their nightstick watching for that false move.

Hey, I’m buying toothpaste, not a nickel bag Officer you’re givin’ me the creeps, and I’m someone who loves the men in blue, gaining my ultimate respect since our last crisis on September 11, 2001.

DON’T THREATEN AMERICANS WHO ARE ALREADY THREATENED AND FRIGHTENED ENOUGH THAT THEY OR THEIR LOVED ONES MAY GET SICK!

Be gentle, be kind, be persuasive in a way that makes us go home where we’re safe.

I watched a cop dress down a couple wheeling a baby carriage in a such a way I stopped.

The weeping mother said, they needed air. The cop said, you’re not 6 feet apart.

The husband bellowed, WE’RE TOGETHER. WE LIVE TOGETHER, GET IT?

When the baby started to cry that’s when I said, please Officer, please just let them be.

Β I waited to be bitch slapped, but he just looked at all of us, making me see, he’s afraid too.

This entry was posted in Faith, Family, grace, Health, humanity, New York City, words and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

82 Responses to Battle Cry

1. Susannah, you caught the essence of fear and the longing to go back to normality. I would never have done it, but I applaud your response to the aggressive social policeman. How I wish I could share some of the peace and serenity of our mountain neighborhood!

Common sense needs to be in place. A family sheltered together can’t be 6 ft apart. .
    I wish our grandchildren (and their parents) were sheltered with us, but Pookie owns a construction company which is still allowed. We couldn’t live with ourselves if we spread anything to them. Actually Pookie is double allowed because he is currently doing two super large buildings on a sheep farm in Vermont, which is agricultural. He has one long time worker staying home until this is over, but everyone else is still here. The guys bring their own lunches so they don’t have to go out. They also clean up when they get home.

It’s such a crazy world right now…Stay safe, Susannah. ~Elle

4. I think you hit the nail on the head. He is afraid too. I’m reminded of the phrase, “Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Stay safe.

5. kingmidget says:

Yeah, flossing. Somehow it just doesn’t seem as important, right?

I think it would be helpful if people understood that we are all going through something we’ve never gone through before. And just have a little more patience and love for each other. As you note at the end, the police officers don’t have any better handle on this than the rest of us. I heard a story about a young woman who lives in my city who was stopped by police twice on the same day when she was on her way to work — and questioned about why she was out on the streets. She was on her way to her job, which was deemed essential. Meanwhile, I went out for a couple of hours yesterday and hardly saw any officers anywhere.

Stay safe.

• I think it’s the bad luck of the draw if you will. Just now I was out and it’s like the Wild West the way everyone’s behaving. I had a lady I know jump in the street to avoid me. The woman at the post office kept speaking through her mask. I kept saying, madam, I can’t hear you. She kept speaking. I still don’t what she said. I get it, but I’m being reasonable, and polite and yes, patience is truly in order. Pause, breathe, pray, and don’t forget to eat King Midget.

6. The NY Gov has been open and honest with the truth at his press briefing. New Yorkers are caring, resourceful, smart, and tough…take care.

Everyone is afraid and except the few who are not at all – which causes more fear in those already fearful.
    The cop is so afraid, his common sense left him for a minute. Obviously a family walking in a unit – and in this case, the baby carriage kinda points out that this is what they are – is one that also shares the same living space.
    The way I see it when I go out is I keep to myself and figure those who are in groups are living together and I avoid them. If they are not heeding the rules, then even more reason for me to stay away.

That’s the whole thing right there. Fear. We all possess the stuff right now, some more than others but we have some in our stores. It’s wrestling with common sense and knowledge for our attention, and with all the time to spare, we tend to let it get the best of us sometimes. Not ALL of us, mind you. But yeah, it explains a lot.

9. I, now, have another reason to like you so very much. You are more like Joan D’ Arc than I knew.
    Save another soul and stand up to tyranny or, at least, fear of the masses.
    Scott

10. Vasca says:

Just learned my granddaughter, who works for Jet Blue, is working out of NYC during this dreadful time. She lives in Puerto Rico and hasn’t been w/Jet Blue long so we thought she’d be furloughed but I suppose the older flight attendants are wanting to be in quarantine. She’s young and healthy so I pray she stays clear. The flights are no way packed so hopefully no virus aboard. Her hub is w/FAA in Puerto Rico. Been married a year…aah, young love. Stay safe.