Is Nature Hoarding?

images.jpeg While out for my run, my lone Civil Liberty still intact, I saw a pack of raccoons.

Usually it’s one or two, but today, they were all out as if it were family day.

Now I do tend to over dramatize, but they clearly had been foraging, carrying so much stuff, and to their credit, not in plastic bags either.

Paws filled, even the kids, images-1.jpeg as if they too are a little nervous over how long those trash bins, provided by tourists and park regulars, will stay empty.

They looked at me as if to say, shouldn’t you be at Whole Foods?

Then the Mom (in gloves) slapped me 5. images.jpeg

P.S.ย  Keep your humor by the bed, where it’s good and handy. ๐Ÿ™‚

This entry was posted in animals, Family, food, humor, nature, New York City, parents, writing and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to Is Nature Hoarding?

Nature always wins in the end. It would be nice if humans were mindful of this fact, rather than resentful.

What a sight to come across. And so funny, because my sister feeds all the stray cats in her ‘hood and just yesterday, for the first timea racoon decided to come for dinner – taking, without a reservation. Eyeballed my sister and Brother-in-law the whole time as if to say “What? You put it out, I saw it as an invitation.”

3. Eilene Lyon says:

Funny story! I adore raccoons – all wildlife, really. We had a gray fox visiting our backyard daily for a while, under the bird feeder. Now itโ€™s just birds and chipmunks.

4. Fun post, Susannah. When we lived in Connecticut a raccoon came in the cat door and stayed in the bedrooms for a week. We didn’t know he was there except for the messy water bowl and missing cat kibble in the morning. Finally, he made an appearance and once we got composure back we escorted him out. (Yes we closed the cat door at night)

5. Clever Girl says:

Raccoons… check. Great blogs to read… check. Humor by the bed… check. Yep, I’m good. Stay healthy Susannah!

6. That was most amusing. All the ‘coons were carrying things! We used to have them on our back porch on Long Island. We didn’t have food or garbage there, so I wondered if they just came to get the aroma of our dinners. Maybe they brought their food and came for the ambiance.

7. Yes, humor intact…

As long as they don’t start walking off with our toilet paper or butter, ha ha!
    I once saw a beaver walking upright from one of our apple trees toward the pond. He/she shuffled along, using the tail to balance while holding a pile of apples with the uppermost one tucked under its chin. Unfortunately, this was before cameras in our cell phones. It looked like something out of a cartoon.

9. We all are feeling the consequences of the pandemic. Letโ€™s keep the raccoon dream of full garbage cans to reappear in the future.

10. Vasca says:

Raccoons are the cutest things…smarties also. Nothing like animals out and about having a good time. We were campground hosts in Colorado for the Nat’l Forest Service. One beautiful evening Michel had grilled chicken for our outdoor dinner pleasure. He began a prayer and I had my eyes closed. I heard a scraping sound, opened my eyes and there was a chipmunk perches beside my plate…holding my chicken in its claws. I said ‘No’ and he dropped my chicken breast and skedaddled. They are so funny and clever! Love your walk in the park. Stay well.