Girl In The Box

I’ve been counting my blessings quite a bit, to lessen feelings of upset at having my life so drastically slashed.

Shelter in place as it’s in its second week, reminds me how lucky I am to have my personal, shelter in place, bringing me to, the girl in the box.

She’s been a neighborhood sight for a good 8 years now, as if she comes with the territory.

I’ve watched her hair go from brown, to salt and pepper, all gray and now snow white, as she makes her way, her belongings neatly packed in a shopping cart.

One can only guess her age since the elements make it hard. 30? 40? 50? She may have even been a teen when her heart-wrenching homelessness began.

She sleeps alongside The Church of the Heavenly Rest in a large, oblong, cardboard box, a design that you might see at IKEA, just in durable plastic, complete with a flap that covers the top.

It makes me think of Houdini’s trick, of making a woman in a similar box, disappear, which I’m sure would please the neighborhood.

I notice she wears glasses and likes to read in the late afternoon on a bench facing the Park. And despite living outdoors, never looks quite as tattered as you’d expect, what’s left of her sense of self holding on by its fingernails.

I’ve been witnessing some pretty bad behavior from the spoiled elite who can’t wrap their brains around this inconvenience hurled upon them, as if it’s only happening to a certain tax bracket.

Heard one woman say in the grocery store…

“I can’t believe our yearly trip to Italy is put on hold.”

I bit my lip so wanting to say, Italy is on its knees lady, but said nothing, as Sondra, the cashier, and I looked at one another.

Something like this always makes me think of the girl in the box, who asks for nothing, her needs met God knows how, eating in various ways via restaurant leftovers and park goers who couldn’t quite finish their lunch, saving room for that special dinner they’re going to have.

How is she eating now?

Has anyone advised her to wash her hands and not  touch her face?

Is she afraid?

Does she even know our world is fighting a war?

Why did I even bring this up?

She humbles me, that’s why, in every sense of the word.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, food, grace, Gratitude, humanity, New York City, war, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to Girl In The Box

1. Kate Howell says:

Sad and sweet 😎

~Hal Rubenstein From my iPhone

This story certainly puts things into perspective. Due to social isolation, this woman is probably as safe as anyone can be right now. Your title should be the name of a novel or movie.

• There are no accidents when I see her. It stops me, in my tracks, from whining and complaining. What right have I, as I circle back from my run, going home to a nice, warm space. Sigh Skinny. Triple, sigh.

3. Seekandfind says:

This humbled me as well, thank you for sharing 💜

4. aFrankAngle says:

Another example of how life is a matter of perspective.

BTW – Thinking of you and hope all is well.

5. We all need reminders of our good fortune. Thanks for this one.

There is nothing like seeing, truly seeing, what is around us to help us get a proper bearing/perspective. Trip to Italy? Honestly Lady. She is definitely seeing nothing.
    I hope your girl in the box continues to manage though I am sure she must be having to work ever harder to get what she needs. She has to know what’s going on. It’s everywhere and especially in your neck.
    Stay well, keep strong and good vibes are being sent your way!

• I can’t watch the news. I’m feeling hermetically sealed, like I’m pickled in a jar. Now they’re saying, you can just get it if someone talks to you. I’ve had it Dale. Really. You just don’t know what to do anymore. I go out to run early, when no one is up. I make essential trips for groceries. And the rest of the time, I’m here, grateful I love to read and write. This too shall pass, I know…bit when. sigh

7. Yolanda says:

Such a good reminder.

8. Whether we call it blessings, or luck, or karma…I agree that the idea of counting it.

Perspective is one of my favorite words for a reason. Because to possess the stuff means that I have stepped out of my size 10’s for just a moment. Not so that I can walk in the shoes of another, because I know that’s not possible. But so that I do not look at the world through a single prism, mine. We always have something to be thankful for, and we always have a reason to pray.

10. Vasca says:

Since reading about her life in a box? She’s on my mind…I wonder what she does when it’s so very cold…what does she do when it rains…how long can she continue living like this. I wish I could take her in but she wouldn’t like that. She has probably steeled herself from all the things others do…all of us who live in different boxes…she’s grown ever so attached and at home in hers. I think she’s quite content and at peace. God bless her…that unique girl in her box. Lovely!