Fashionista Wisdom: A Leopard Who Won’t Change Her Spots

I’ve been living in my ripped jeans and various T-shirts for 2 weeks now, spending most of my day at home.

It’s seems to have become my uniform.

I had to go to the market, and thought, you know what Susannah, put something nice on. It will make you feel better, even for a half an hour.

What I didn’t realize was, it was going to make everybody, in my path, feel better too.

My leopard dress that’s perfect for this in-between weather, may have sighed when I took her off the hanger.

Well it’s about time, I’m pretty sure she said.

What is it about leopard anyway that’s in every woman’s DNA? It’s true. There’s something about it that brings out, alright I’ll say it…the animal in us.

My dress is slinky, yet not too, so you can still shimmy in it before the sun goes down. It has a bateau (French, for boat) neckline that follows the curve of your collarbone that’s quite flattering, giving you an Audrey, swan like look that, at the right angle, could stop traffic.

I added my Carrie Bradshaw pearls…a long strand that I knot at the end, and a pair of kitten heels, and off I went.

My neighbor, masked, gloved, lugging in her Fresh Direct, stopped and said, “Wow, and where are you going?”

“Oh, have a few things to do?’

“Who is he?” she asked, like I really was, Carrie Bradshaw.

I winked before cantering into the elevator.

My doorman said, “You certainly are looking nice today. What a pretty dress.”

I smiled since, he looks like a Sumo Wrestler who may have gone to FIT (The Fashion School of Technology).

Before I hit the corner, a woman, another doorman, and a dashing fella, all let me know how great I looked, the latter, I’d describe as a boy toy, eying me like a piece a cake.

Cheese? Carrot? Devil’s Food?

But when I saw Gert, the Poodle, who jumped up slobbering all over me, that’s when I knew, I had made the right choice.

“Gert’s so happy to see you,” her walker said, surprised. “She’s usually a bit of a snob.”

Gert and I exchanged looks.

Hey, what is it about girls and leopard anyway?

57741BN-2T.jpgSB

Let’s hear it for humor, aside from maybe leopard and a poodle, a girl’s best friend.Β  πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Culture, Fashion, grace, Health, humanity, humor, nature, New York City and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

172 Responses to Fashionista Wisdom: A Leopard Who Won’t Change Her Spots

1. aFrankAngle says:

A great thought to brighten your day and that of others. You also put my imagination to work. Stay safe.

Good for you, Susannah! I’ve read, while perusing Facebook, how so many woman are staying in their pjs all day at our time of crisis. Then they change into fresh ones at night. Of course they are getting depressed! Who wouldn’t? I have to get up and get dressed every morning or I would not be able to function. I don’t go as far as you do 😊 but I do have a new leopard print t-shirt hanging in the closet. I think I’ll wear that with black leggings to go buy a few groceries this morning. We have to eat you know! ~Elle

3. I enjoyed your post today, Susannah. It is always a good idea to get spiffed now and then if only for a stroll. That’s the part of the big city life I miss. I was doing triage on my wardrobe the other day and eyed the tux. Um, no. I’ll keep it. You just never know. Thanks.

4. Great article! I would say leopard works for girls the same way red lipstick does. πŸ’„

Good for you! You are absolutely right. We feel way better when we pretty ourselves up. And yes, it does make those around you feel better too.
    Gert recognizes a sister when she sees one.
    Have a fabulous day!

• Gert. What is it with French Poodles. Do you think they know they’re French?

• Dale says:

Absolutely.
        That’s why she is a snob until she meets her own kind (not realising you are NOT a snob but at least you dress well…)

• Hobnobbing with snobs has never been my cup of tea. I like earthier, more down to earth, equable souls who come equipped with a generous heart, something snobs come without. I live in the Land of Snobbery, I’m afraid, and could sadly, lecture. sigh

• Dale says:

Oh, I wasn’t saying you did… I was just saying Gert, with her snobbery, was able to distinguish class from crass πŸ˜‰
        And no, there is no way in hell I would ever classify you in the Snob Category.

• I just don’t have the knack. It’s sort of an art…a black one. I’ve been seeing much of it during this unfortunate time. I’m always a bit mystified by it, still.

• Dale says:

It is definitely part of the “dark arts”. Nothing like tough times to bring out people’s true characters.
        Just keep being kind and generous you… the others? We can only do so much.

• This morning I had an incident in the drug store. Every time you venture out, you need to be armed. I don’t shop in bulk. I buy as I need, therefore I’m at the store more than I’d like to be. I keep saying to myself, cut the world slack, it’s a tough time, but it gets to me, the spoiled, it’s only about me, behavior. This too shall pass. Just not soon enough.

• Dale says:

I get you. It’s hard to buy in bulk when you live in an apartment, as well. Where are you gonna put the extra shit?
        That said, people are so impatient and unwilling to be understanding. Bloody hell.

• Well said. The sun just came out. I’m taking it as an omen.

• Dale says:

Lucky you! Here it’s “snaining” and cold here… Sorry, Zeke… No walk today

• Zeke…can see him looking with great yearning, out the window.
        I just came in from my late afternoon airing. It’s what I do every day. Half hour before bed. It’s all so peculiar, the barren streets, bordered up stores. I want to remember these feelings so when life commences, I’ll appreciate every little thing. Wonder if that’s how it will be. sigh

• Dale says:

I just got back from bringing my youngest to pick up a package from the post office (fool never heard the doorbell) and yes, he was there at the window, hoping. I’m hoping the snain stops for at least long enough to take him around the block. It’s 33F out there.
        I think that is a good thing to do. We really need to appreciate all the little things.
        Looking forward to it.

• That’s pretty chilly. It’s 52 here with a breezy snap. Spring must be detained. Hope Zeke gets to go out. It’s a pity he can’t go by himself. He sounds as if he’d be capable as well as picking up a quart or milk on his way home. 😁

• Dale says:

Yeah. That mix of snow and rain makes all the more unpleasant. He can run around the back yard – not nearly as cool. And oooh, that would be great if he could do that!

• I spoke too soon because it dropped to 38 apparently, according to Mr. iPhone who can be such a prankster so, hopefully he’s pullin my pajama leg. Warmth is what’s needed, because the poor daffodils in their show girl outfits will all catch cold. Sigh

• Dale says:

Ugh! I’m.thinking this cold snap is a way of forcing the ones who won’t listen to stay the fuck inside.
        The daffs are pretty hardy – after all they are amongst the first ones to put their Spring dresses on.

• That could be because, there were few out, even at Whole Foods waiting in line. They keep stressing social distancing is key. sigh. As for those daffys, they’re so pretty.

• Dale says:

For sure. In this rain, I am not feeling the need to stand in line. I can still survive a good couple of weeks without (going to get milk only)
        They are really pretty.

• Lines. They remind us we’re spoiled. I never stand in line, for anything. boy, have I been humbled.

• Dale says:

No kidding! I don’t either… Now? You have no choice.

It’s true, Susannah. Most of us have gone neanderthal in our isolation. My eyes haven’t been topped by eyebrows for two weeks; think Mona Lisa. I’m sure you perked up everyone’s spirits like a breath of fresh air.

7. Gee whiz..fashion is going to the dogs in your neighborhood. Always fun to dress up.

The rules of fashion nature work this way. Women wear leopard print and it releases the inner tiger of men. In the jungle, the mighty jungle . . .

9. I’ll bet twice as many people appreciated your appearance as said so. You brightened up a big corner of Manhattan!

I wear earrings every day, and I didn’t stop when the virus hit. John and David can’t avoid seeing me. I try to make it as painless as possible.