Tails From The Front

I was never so happy seeing a Beagle tending his ballings, to quote my dear grandfather, as I was this morning after a major meltdown yesterday.

I’ve been quite valiant since my shelter-in-place began, but even Norma Rae-Pollyanna-Joan of Bark has her limits.

I wailed all day like a sick moose. Didn’t run, write nor read, my three mainstays, giving in to the gloom as if my sanity had been hijacked.

BUT THEN…

God bless 12 Step when I heard in my muddled head…

MOVE A MUSCLE…CHANGE A THOUGHT….

so out I went.

Who do I see but Mr. Beagle, owned by Mr. Bow Tie, a dapper, natty man I’ve come to like. His wife, who thinks she’s Brook Astor, you could have, but I’d take him in a heartbeat.

He told me, the only problem he has with his mask is that it interferes with his tie. He grins as he talks, humor escaping through dimples, despite the gravity of what’s upon us.

His dog and I have a love hate relationship, but not today. Seems Mr. Beagle knew I was not my best self and was on the case, allowing me, after his morning schvitz, to pet him for a good five minutes, while dad regaled me with stories of his posh, prewar building that Princess Diana, after her divorce, almost moved into.

He said, a woman on 9, calling her a creature from the deep since she’s originally from Watertown, Connecticut, till she married up, as he put it, wanted an emergency board meeting to not allow tenants to come home if they’d been flying.

“Let them go to a hotel,” she said, her furs flying.

Not only did the board not meet, but they were the ones she didn’t realize she was trying to send to the Ritz.

This man had me giggling while Mr. Beagle calmed me right down.

When I asked how Mrs. Bow Tie was dealing with things, he said, she was busy buying jewelry online.

“From the Home Shopping Network?” I naively ask, and he says, “Oh honey, I so wish. Cartier any minute will be sending me a fruit basket.”

What Mr. Beagle, did you just say balls?

I think he did, as he went back to giving his their final shine.    images.jpeg

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, Gratitude, Health, Home, humanity, humor, New York City, words and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Tails From The Front

1. We always try to cheer people up. What is the name of this handsome beagle?

2. aFrankAngle says:

Glad for the voice that got you outside for your unexpected cheerful encounter. Stay strong … Keep smiling … Stay safe!

3. You had a ball with that story. Mr. Bow Tie is a stitch.

Oh my goodness… I am happy for you that you were able to give yourself a kick in the pants to go out there and be entertained by Mr. Bow Tie and Mr. Beagle. I can feel that they lifted your spirits immeasurably!

No Amazon for Mrs Bow Tie. Not when she has Bezos on speed dial.

And thank God for beagles, really. They do always seem to have a grasp of the moment. Rascals in their every day behaviors, but for that innate ability to slow it down and just be there for you.

• He’s like Churchill, reincarnated. You could see him smokin a cigar sniffing a snifter of brandy.

• Sorryless says:

Funny you should mention Churchill, since I’ve been thinking about him a lot lately.

• He was really something. A great writer who wrote by ear. Had tough beginnings with selfish parents, but rallied on his own. Married a lady who he loved and kept him going. Loved what he said about meeting FDR for the first time…like opening your first bottle of champagne. He was a trip, and then some.

• Sorryless says:

He was a tough act to follow, so unfortunately, few have followed . . .

• He was JFK’s hero by the way.

• Sorryless says:

I can see why

• He wrote his thesis called, Why England Slept that became a book in 1940, taking its title from Churchill’s When England Slept written in 1938. It wasn’t a swipe as much as a homage. He really loved the guy.

• Sorryless says:

I was just imagining what the White House was like in the early 60’s. Abuzz with brilliant minds that were busy imagining all the things the world could be. THIS is what the democratic party should be honing in on right now. The idea that making America “great again” is a sham. Because democracy is ALL about a future that can be made better.

• Read about today’s fight between Our dear president and the Governor of New York. My favorite line: Cuomo to Trump about him just doing what a president’s suppose to do…what, I should send him a bouquet of flowers?

• Sorryless says:

WHEN Trump does what a President is supposed to do. Which isn’t very often. It’s a complete embarrassment. And what is equally embarrassing are the Trump apologists who insist he is doing everything he can. Are you kidding me? What world do they live in?

Sorry, I can’t NOT rant when it comes to that business.

• By all means, rant away. His Tweets will no doubt be in a bullet proof case at the Library of Congress. I actually was very impressed Mr. Cuomo held it together for so long. Support. That all one expects. Imagine FDR acting that way during the depression. Where would we be? The unbridled narcissism is mystifying. He’s Zeus with bad hair.

• Sorryless says:

Cuomo has done a hell of a job. The governor on the other coast as well. They ain’t asking to be babied, they understand what it takes. But like you said . . support. Just be fucking supportive and stop behaving as if you’re in the third grade. Something Trump can’t grasp, even now.

Zeus with bad hair. I love that.

• It’s the absence of sensitivity I find the most astounding. To quote J.D. Salinger in Catcher in the Rye…he’s about as sensitive, as a toilet seat.

• Sorryless says:

No kidding. And yanno, if we were waiting for his “moment”, we got it. And then he tossed it into the drink.

• This too shall pass.

• Sorryless says:

It always does. That’s what megalomaniacs like Trump do not get. That they are little more than the latest curiosity. That their actions and their words are built on the splintery stilts of a stormy shore. The world will one day be better not because of them, but in spite.

Susannah, so often we come across a couple with one so nice and the other so …not nice. It always makes me wonder what the attraction was, how the heck it happened, and why it continued. Some mysteries just leave us scratching our heads.
    As for Mr. Beagle, his priorities have obviously not changed.

7. kingmidget says:

Glad you got yourself outside and Mr. Beagle graced you with his … ahem … presence.

8. LOL. A Cartier fruit basket. Glad you could find some humor out there.

9. Eilene Lyon says:

So glad you found the energy to find – and write about – this delightful encounter! Kudos. Stay sane, dear Susannah. This too…yada yada.