Half-Mask

I’ve been trying to do my part when venturing out by wearing a surgical mask.

I’m not doing very well I’ll admit, wearing it more like a blue collar around my neck.

The discomfort, feeling as if you’re smothering, is reason enough never to go into the medical field.

Of course where would we be then, my shallowness making an unattractive appearance.

It’s now a rule in New York, you must wear one when out, if you’re not 6 feet apart.

So the team player that I am makes another attempt fastening it on, wondering if I really need to go out after all, cluing you in to how spoiled you are.

Oh fuck it, I say, as I leave it swaying, rubbing against my hoodie as I walk. I do my best to avoid those coming towards me with masks of their own, some still without, courtesy being key, patience a close second.

I needed an airing after being in from 7 a.m. till 4, walking boldly down Park ready to do battle with anyone who minds my faux masked face, my own patience wearing thin.

Then I see a little boy, 5 or 6, happily walking with his mom who, short of Saran Wrap, is protected to the hilt.

“Hey lady,” he says, “you know who I am?”

“No, who?”Β  I ask, always stopping for a kid.

“I’m Spider Man.”

And indeed he was, wearing the mask I gather he wore on Halloween.Β Β  images-1.jpeg

Kids, the best, like a breath of fresh air.

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, grace, Health, humanity, humor, inspiration, kids, Love, New York City, parents, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

176 Responses to Half-Mask

1. aFrankAngle says:

I’ll admit it .. you got me. I wasn’t sure which way you would go with this post, You strung me out as I took the bait … then pow … nope … smile with a kid. Well done. Smile together!

2. And that was the unmasked truth!

Even if stores were open, you wouldn’t be able to find a Halloween mask to use instead of a surgical one. Wouldn’t it be fun, though, if adults could wear their heroes faces to shield themselves?

3. You wear your mask at half mast.

4. kingmidget says:

I’m with you about the masks. I’ve only used one once or twice while out so far, and I find myself pulling it down so often to breath, to scratch my nose, to be able to talk clearly, it kind of gets pointless. I can’t stand the feeling of not getting a full breath.

Meanwhile, yes to kids. They seem to have a way.

5. Vasca says:

Since I am required to wear one when I walk out my apartment door, I was a nice girl and did so yesterday! Thought I was goinna’ pass out inhaling my own hot air! I couldn’t decide which was worse…passing out or going to jail. Suffocation wasn’t my choice so I let it become my neckpiece! Rats…no adorable little tykes around to put a smile on my face. Kids are instant cures for what ails us…love ’em. Good to have some wonderful fresh air…it’s needed.

I am loathed to admit I don’t even HAVE any masks in my house. If they were to say I cannot leave the house without one, I am screwed. And let’s face it, forget about trying to buy any now – not that I really want to. I don’t even have any antibacterial products in my house, believing that over-sanitizing makes for weak immune systems. So, I’m screwed there, too because you can’t even buy any bleach, FFS. Which I want, For my white laundry.
    Thank goodness for kids and dogs, indeed.

7. Oh, my sister feels the same way regarding the smothering, along with fogging glasses. She is in full “fuck this” mode until she goes to the store, then it’s the I just performed a heart transplant look.
    You’re lucky; I haven’t even seen a child recently.

I’ve the same reaction to these things.

I don’t care about the fact they happen to be contemporary fashion, they bug the hell out of me. I wear em, but I don’t have to be happy about it.

9. Clever Girl says:

Adorbs!!
    Masks or not, all you New Yorkers are brave and resilient. I’m wondering if there’ll be another baby boom ten months from now – a re-boot of 1977s city blackout πŸ™‚

10. Having a compromised immune system, I’ve grown accustomed to wearing masks when I travel. Of course, prior to COVID-19, I got looks like I was a terrorist or hold up artist. Anyway, it’s been ten years and I’ve worked out all the kinks on foggy glasses, hard to breathe, and itchy face. Here we are required to wear one when going out and cannot maintain a safe distance. All inside places are mandatory but exercise trails and paths are not. I don’t go out except for doctor appointments so the rules are good and I would follow them but it becomes a moot point. No one should mind your half mask as long as you stay away from them. If they say anything just say you had to cough that’s why you pulled it down. Kids always take us away to a better place. Stay safe.

Did you inform Spider Man that you were Super Thin Girl?
    I saw a piece on the news regarding loss of identity and diminished interpersonal exchanges while wearing masks, gloves, and staying six feet away. We can chat from a distance but can’t see the expressions that often reveal so much more than words.
    Keep that mask on. We want to keep you safe!

• How interesting Skinny. It does have a Sci Fi feeling, I must admit. I’m trying to stay in acceptance mode, but it’s challening. I truly believe it will be okay, just maybe not today. Optimism is needed. I sure wish the media would adopt that sentiment, because all they seem to do is ignite more panic with at best, their mere speculations when at this point, we know very little. As far as I’m concerned, God’s in charge, and to quote Anne Lamott, he bats last. Have a lovely weekend Skinny, and my best regards to Pookie. πŸ™‚

• skinnyuz2b says:

Pookie colored my hair a few days ago. Hairdresser will NOT be a second career for him. I felt little pokes on my scalp from the tip of the dye bottle. He was dotting the color on, ha ha! I explained how to make parts and run the dye along the part. He said doing parts was a lot faster and easier than making dots. The end result was pretty good so I might hire him after all.

• Forgive me for laughing, but that’s such a funny image. MR. POOKIE HAIR EXTRAORDINARE πŸ™‚

12. I know what you mean. However, wearing masks around others may be the new normal. There is a tipping point when Norns shift, and then the absence of a mask seems odd. Nonetheless, it still can be uncomfortable. I keep telling myself the motto: β€œI protect you, and you protect me.”

13. That’s cute. Kids are great. It’s such a shift in culture that in a few months you have the CDC saying not to wear masks to signs popping up everywhere saying no admittance without a mask. It’s for the best, but hopefully we don’t have to keep wearing them long.

14. We’ll forAGE for the things we want.

15. About the former Miss Um — MILLIE NEE UM has been aging in place for 45 days.

16. I’d rather eat mine — steaks, rare and juicy.