Those Wacky Presidents Part Two

Unknown-2.jpeg There are so many fun facts about U.S. Presidents that aren’t mainstream, like JFK being allergic to Caroline’s pony, Macaroni, and how Teddy Roosevelt’s kids once brought theirs up in the White House elevator.

Speaking of Theodore Roosevelt, who hated being called Teddy, he created the Oval Office Mr. Trump now occupies.

Dwight D. Eisenhower changed the name of the Presidential Retreat in Frederick County, Maryland, from Shangri’La, to Camp David, in honor of his then five year-old grandson, David Eisenhower, who married Julie Nixon, Dick’s daughter, in 1968.

Abraham Lincoln and Teddy were both avid wrestlers, a sport they passed down to their children.

U.S. Grant smoked 20 cigars a day, Unknown-2.jpeg never having to buy one again, when citizens, after the Civil War, sent him 10,000 boxes in gratitude. No wonder he died of throat cancer in 1885, at age 63.

Andrew Johnson studied to be a tailor. Bet he could hem a pair’a pants.

Chester Arthur, nicknamed, Elegant Arthur, because he was such a dapper dresser, owned 80 pair.

JFK was a huge James Bond fan.

Ronald Reagan had a big thing for jelly beans.

Thomas Jefferson invented the swivel chair.

William Howard Taft, tipping the scales at 350,ย  Unknown-2.jpeg known as Big Bill, had to have a special bathtub made, Unknown-3.jpeg known as, the Taft Tub. Once, he even got stuck, and had to call for help to get him out. He’s also the only other president besides John F. Kennedy buried at Arlington.

Unknown-1.jpegWoodrow Wilson’s handsome face is on a $100,000 dollar bill. Try changing that into singles.

Calvin Coolidge had two pet raccoons named Rebecca and Reuben who tooled around the White House like masked dignitaries.

Gerald Ford worked as a fashion model while at college, appearing on a Cosmo cover. images.jpeg No wonder Betty fell for him.

William McKinley always wore a carnation on his lapel, for luck. Unknown-2.jpeg The one time he sweetly gave it to a little girl, seconds after, was shot in the chest, dying 8 days later.

James Buchanan brought slaves to Washington, then quietly freed them in Pennsylvania.

Andrew Jackson fought in over 100 duels, living to brag about them till he died at the ripe old age of 78.

Kind of like that big block of cheese a dairy farmer named John Meacham sent him that sat decomposing in the foyer of the White House.ย  Hey John, candy might have been a better choice.

And I’ll end with, good old, modest LBJ, who was known to unzip his pants to show off, Jumbo, as he called his, well…must I say it?ย  Unknown-2.jpeg

That’s a hard one to beat, no pun intended.

This entry was posted in Culture, History, humor, inspiration, media, modeling, Politics and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

110 Responses to Those Wacky Presidents Part Two

Susannah, I love your presidential facts! I always share them with Pookie-Pie. Grant’s cottage, where he came to die, is in Wilton, not far from here. It’s near Saratoga.

• Always thought it was called Mount Mc Gregor. There’s that famous photo of him on the porch wrapped in a shawl finishing his memoirs. By that time, he was so sick, he couldn’t eat because he couldn’t swallow. sigh. But he was determined to complete them so Julia and kids would be solvent for life, and they were. He died less than two weeks after he finished.

• skinnyuz2b says:

Mount McGregor is a small mountain and the cottage is on its slope. There was also a recently closed prison called Mount McGregor Correctional Facility..
        On a field trip to the cottage (around 1973) , Pookie and his best friend rode on top of the train instead of boarding their school bus. They jumped off when it slowed down in Smith’s Basin. As they skidded down the hill on the side of the track, their feet pushed through their sneakers. The sneakers ended up above their ankles! Their shenanigans would have made the news nowadays.

• Pookie is a comic at heart, with beauty skills. What a man!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

2. I’m just thinking of you writing DT’s fun facts in 10 years … dear lord, it’s making those raccoons seem entirely reasonable.

3. kingmidget says:

Just goes to show that Presidents are human just like the rest of us. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I love it when you do these, Susannah! You are an endless fount of information! LBJ – really? Dude!! McKinley – yowza, for those of you who don’t believe in supersition. Gerald Ford – yummers! Buchanan – you rocked…

5. An enjoyable post, Susannah. Thanks.

Taft began the tradition which became known as the “first pitch” as he was the first President to do so. And yanno, I eat jelly beans very rarely but I oftentimes remember Reagan when I do so. As for that guy we currently have in the oval office, I’ll never forgive the NFL for keeping him out as an owner, because then, maybe we wouldn’t have had to deal with all his nonsense now. I guess the NFL owners knew something the rest of the country was slow to catch on to.

7. I enjoyed the trivia. I should read it again to double the pleasure. There is no way I’ll remember half of it, but it was riveting reading.

8. Eilene Lyon says:

Lots of fun tidbits there, Susannah. Of course I just love history, so Iโ€™m hooked.

9. robprice59 says:

โ€ฆ..and then you elect Trump! What went wrong?