The Cat in the Window

There’s a prewar building that has a floor at street level I pass quite often.

The elderly woman who lives there, leaves the shades on her front windows open so her cat can look out.

She’s a big cat, gray and white, with a face like Aunt Bee’s…round, cute, as if any minute she’ll offer you tea and pie.  Unknown-1.jpeg

My Joan of Bark stops to coo at her, saying things like, who’s a pretty girl. Is it you? Yes, it’s you!

She rubs against the screen pleased like any girl getting an unexpected compliment.

One day I noticed her mistress sitting at a table.

I at once apologized for intruding.

She said, “Oh no, how nice of you to always stop by.”

I, gushing a bit said, “What a nice thing to say. Can I ask what her name is?”

The woman came to the window, chucked the cat under her chin and said,”

“Andy.

His name is Andy.”  images-1.jpeg

OOPS!

SB 🙂

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, humanity, humor, Love, nature, New York City, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

72 Responses to The Cat in the Window

Susannah, the punch line is hilarious! You appealed to Andy’s feminine side.
    Fuzzy Face has to stay inside or on the porch and is not happy about it. Last week we spotted four baby fox in the small woods on the other side of our driveway. They are so cute while playing, jumping on each other and wrestling like puppies or kittens. They still have their fat milk bellies.

2. aFrankAngle says:

Another good deed by Miss Joan. 🙂 …. Hi Andy!

3. kingmidget says:

Over on FB, I posted some pictures of my son and his German Shepherd. It was amazing how many referred to her as a he. Meanwhile, almost all of the dogs we’ve ever had have been female, so my natural instinct is to refer to all dogs and cats as she. My other son got a cat — a male. Years later, I still refer to him as her.

Meanwhile … a deranged possum??? This the world needs to see. 😉

Did the woman say his name was Andy? No, she didn’t… she just said Andy. Or maybe se said Andi 😉
    And how fun that she noticed you showing love to her cat in the first place. Lovely.
    🙂

5. You had only girls’ names hAndy.

6. “Who’s a good girl? Andy? Is that with an i? I see it doesn’t matter what you call you, just don’t call you late for dinner.” Very funny, Susannah.

7. robprice59 says:

Cats are female and dogs are male: it’s a global misperception. Could be down to their character traits?

As per your opening, I dig my architecture the same way I dig my scotch . . . pre-war. And that, boys and girls, is a rather innocuous Godfather reference. 🙂

As for Andy, I dig that name for a cat. It’s a new day, the rules be danged and dinged and finagled. And never mind that I’m of a mind for royal names when it comes to felines, since I feel they are royalty in fur. I’m fairly open minded nonetheless.

• I love…royalty in fur. Pull that Marc. Great title for an essay.

Pre -war. Lots of it around here but less and less as they keep razing these lovely edifices for ugly skyscrapers…greed greed greed…buildings to pack in more mortals making New York look like Tokyo. sigh

9. Cats have a way of ingratiating themselves on people, although all the ones that come to our backyard are quite skittish. I was sitting out there this afternoon and one came up and walked on the fence and down onto our side. The world is wide open when you’re a cat.

• Love the last line. Yes, the world is wide open when you’re a cat, God’s first adventurer. They have no fear as they prowl around, whether it’s a lion in the jungle, a stray on the street or an Angora that’s taken over your house. THEY RULE THE SCHOOL, to borrow a line from Grease, one of my favorite films. Thanks, as always. 🙂