Something Smells Fishy

I’m at the market on my corner waiting for the sushi man to make my fresh salmon quinoa roll he makes me for lunch, every day.

The fact that it’s only 7:20 a.m., and he has tons of work to do since, they’ve cut the manpower down from 3 to 1, yet stops just for me, leaves me humbled.

Another man, 70s, well heeled in his Lululemon exercise togs with a perfect crease, is behind me with steam about to gush from his ears…a man, I gather, not used to waiting.

I’m now at the other end of the deli case after asking for spinach pie, Victor has gone all the way downstairs to get for me, rather than just saying, sorry we’re out.

You know why?

Because I’m kind to him, that’s why, kindness reaping its own reward, whether expected or not.

That said…

back to entitled man.

My roll is made first, to his visual annoyance, so he says sharply to sushi man, “Can’t you work any faster!!!”

My Norma coming out, tools over and says, “Sir, can I speak to you?”

He looks up as if I should pay an admission price for his attention, but I, undeterred say,”Can you hear me, through your mask?”

He doesn’t answer.

I gaze over at sushi man.

“That fellow is here all alone, with no help. They’ve only been open for 20 minutes, and I myself feel so graced that he’s even here…sir can you hear me, because sir, when you come right down to it, is sushi really essential? I say, appreciation is in order, don’t you sir, when you think about it?”

I slink back to pick up spinach pie, a great name for a rapper by the way, not waiting for entitled man’s response, which may not be good.

As I take my order from Victor who throws in a wrapped roll, I hear in a very imposing voice, “Young man, I just want to thank you. And you have a good day.”

Hey God, if you’re listening, I think it’s time you’ve made me an honorary Apostle.

Don’t you?      images

🙂

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, food, grace, Gratitude, Health, humanity, humor, money, New York City, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

100 Responses to Something Smells Fishy

Wow! So wonderful when you’re expecting an acerbic retort, but find consideration and kindness pouring out instead. Makes you want to start singing.
    In addition to giving an honorary title of Dog Whisperer, I think we’ll have to add Jerk Whisperer too!
    You would certainly never be out of work.

2. aFrankAngle says:

Well played Saint SB. Now I’m wondering … how many inner voices do you have? There’s Norma & Joan … more? … Yes – Spinach Pie as a rapper name! Keep smiling and stay safe.

3. Vasca says:

Kindness is one of the besties going…you did exactly what was needed and it had a perfect result. Maybe, just maybe, the irritated customer will take it to heart and pass it on! You never know what effect, if any, it will have but it’s always worth spreading…a bit of kindness can have an awesome impact and who knows but God. We are His ambassador’s you know. Right on Susannah. Extra icing on the cake is thinking about Victor and how happy his day became. Absolutely! See kindness pays dividends…always!

• Well, you and me should take it on the road Vasca since, it’s not exactly catching on like wild fire ,this kindness business.

• Vasca says:

Few weeks back I designed and printed a big page ‘thank you/appreciation’ for each staff member here in my world of quarantine. Passed them out and the result was smiling all over the place. Kindness is one big hoorah to cheer others on. Keep going and your supply will not go dry! God guarantees it and He bats last…as I recall. Hugs ‘n thanks!

• Yes, he bats last. Thanks for reminding me. 🙂

4. kingmidget says:

You have a seat at the table.

5. A little kindness never did anyone any harm.

6. I think angel is more like it. 😊

Impatience over having to live like this is no excuse for rudeness. Especially to those who are there DOING for us. Yes, one of these days you might end up with a smack – I sure hope not, though! These bullies like Lululemon Lad sometimes need to be reminded that kindness and patience and getting their noses out of their own belly-buttons will serve them far more than rudeness and lack of empathy.
    As Mark said, take a seat!

8. robprice59 says:

Like Marcella said: “Give a little bit of love and you’ll get it back”.

Spinach pie and sushi? Sounds like me when I make my trips downtown to Central Market. Nothing like it, nothing.

As for this miserable bastid, it seems you provided a positive energy transfusion for him as it were. I truly believe it happens. Maybe not all the time, but there are times when a person’s lesson does in fact have this effect on someone who might otherwise be clueless.

10. I love your stories I’ll bet you can spin itch into a good tale, too.

11. I’ll stand under the under the old oak tree where aCORNs fall to wait for your tale.

12. I’ll ask the DOG, WOOD he like to chase the squirrel?

13. You told him. 🙂 I’ve heard some horror stories about how service workers are getting treated these days, although I suppose there is a lot of gratitude too. Hopefully so, at least.

• I say thanks all day long. Ask how they are. Thank them. I’ll admit, consciousness needs to be in the house at all times, and even I find it challenging, but we do our best. My theory is, that’s all that matters. The attempt.