Masked Etiquette

I’ve been adhering to the mask rule pretty well, keeping myself right above the title, so to speak meaning, I’m in, but only about an inch.

First of all, rather than a surgical mask that makes me look as if I’m about to perform an appendectomy, I’ve been wearing a bandanna.

I find it’s easier to breathe in, and looks a little better, that’s if you don’t mind the Wyatt Earp look.

Hey, Ralph Lauren made a fortune from it, which is what I tell myself every time I’m about to say, Yup.

When I run early in the morning it stays around my neck. If someone’s coming towards me, I pull it up.

That’s the rule. If you’re not 6 feet apart, you have to wear face covering, as Amazon is now fashionably calling it.

Lucky for me, I have them in assorted colors to coordinate my outfits.

Had a young Latina lady yell to me, “Hey, where you get that green banny?”

“Excuse me?” asked Miss Connecticut.

“Yo bandanna. It’s ah-mee green.”

“Chinatown,” I said. What I didn’t add was, 1989, but hey, I’ll just bet if she tooled on down to Mott Street, she’d find one.

Nothing like being a fashionista during an epidemic.

I’ll tell ya.    Unknown.jpeg

Yup!              Unknown-1.jpeg

This entry was posted in Culture, Fashion, Health, humanity, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

95 Responses to Masked Etiquette

1. sandomina says:

That’s a style statement.

Do read my path-breaking article in two parts. It has crossed 340000 views worldwide and counting.
    Warm regards.

Assorted fashionable bandana colors, sort of like the old days when we had a wide assortment of slip colors and styles.
    At our local Stewarts, up here in the hicks, half the customers are maskless. Then there are the few that straddle the line and just pull their shirt up over their nose and mouth. Every time they do something with both hands or turn their head, the shirt falls down and they have to pull it up again.

3. Vasca says:

Fashionista alert!!! Love this Susannah. Mask fashion is alive and well in all parts, or most parts at least. I have a management issue which is of course regimented as in basic. No frills, nada! Of course then I have my private issue which is very chic. Slim black w/artistic splashes of many gorgeous colors. Since I can hardly breathe in one it helps to have COLOR if I pass out. One must look beautiful at all times, yes? Personally I prefer your bandanas. Thanks for the smiles this morning! Hugs ‘n Love!

4. kingmidget says:

I have a bandana but haven’t used it, because I have a mask. It’s black. I should use the bandana.

Side story — yesterday, I took my mother in for an infusion. We were told we wouldn’t be allowed in the door if we weren’t wearing masks. So, we wore our masks. And countless employees of the Kaiser facility we were at were walking around without masks. In other words, we have wear masks to protect them and other patients, but they don’t?

5. You might be interested in Matthew McConaughey’s take on the bandana. https://youtu.be/ueyrM4QSxsU

Liked by 2 people

Good on you, sporting the ever-so stylish bandanna!
    Another blogger was chastised by a woman 20-feet away, across the street at 5:30-6 in the morning, for not wearing one while running. Seriously? No way I could run with one.
    And your ‘friend’ blows. After 15 minutes, you shoulda said: “K, your turn, I need to breathe now.

• I was crossing the park mid day, and some masked woman waited for me to pass, motioning me to move over when I was well away from her. I said, lady give me a break. She’s lucky I didn’t go off because my fuse is low.

• Dale says:

I was taking a walk with my mother, six-feet apart… We’re chatting and this woman, walking towards us, holds her arms out to both sides and shouts “6 FEET APART!”, So without a second thought, I retorted “THEN MOVE OVER!”
        Da fuck?

• I get that all the time. Just wrote that to Marc. It’s so damned annoying. I want to spray them with insect repellent.

7. John has a bandana that goes with his train outfit, and he has used it in the last few weeks as a face covering. It works for him. Maybe I’ll ask if I can try his spare.

I go for my runs mask-less. Of course, running in the countryside or close enough to it makes for the wide open spaces “Come as I are” mindset. I figure, if anyone wants to get within six feet of me, I won’t be having to worry about COVID-19 so much as the fact that said person is, most likely, a mental patient.

9. robprice59 says:

Equipment to save your life and we’re discussing whether it matches your outfit? And then people ask me why I don’t do fashion! 😉

• A girl has to keep trying you know. Even women during World War II, who couldn’t get stockings, painted lines down their legs to give the illusion. I’m for that. Luckily for me and my sisters, it hasn’t come to that.

10. You know life is truly messed up when you begin to coordinate your ‘face covering’ with your outfit. What the bloody blue blues?! Giddyup.

• My beef is, I had to order 12 of the same color bandanna, because they wouldn’t sell them any other way. Made me angry since they were making hay out of the need. Now of course, CVS has them for $2.49 a piece. I’ve been giving them out as gifts so, that’s the nice part.

• Yikes! I couldn’t find any available (it’s been like flour/yeast/TP shortages) so I ended up sewing some which was clever on my part but now I have these cool looking masks that prompt the uncovered to walk up and ask where I got mine. 😬 Umm, you know it’s a two part thing, social distancing as well as covering your face. Jeez, when did fear mean absence of intelligence in millennials?

• Did you paint that wonderful photo on your blog of the two dogs? I’ve fallen in love with them.

Face coverings. It’s funny you should mention snappy designs. I have my eye on a leopard number a street vendor is selling for 10 bucks. A little high, but well, chic often comes with a price after all. 🙂

• Gah! Leopard print…gets me every time!! I’ve made a few masks (they’re on my Instagram feed) and $10 is a bargain for the work required. Given that fabric is now the apparent heir to TP and flour in this world, makes you wonder where the devil those vendors sourced that fabric. I’m so jealous and would love to see a pic of the leopard mask…or like the old saying goes, “I am woman, hear me roar!”

• They’re very popular. Didn’t mean to wound your paw. 🙂

• No wounding occurred-I’m a HUGE fan of leopard as in L-O-V-E it. BTW, Norman and Elsa send heartfelt tail wags and bum wiggles. They love peeps.