The Pleasure of Your Company

images-3 Mother Nature never fails to lessen my fear of things.

As I wander through Central Park, she speaks to me through her many representatives.

The trees for instance, big and imposing, flirt like green gigolos.

“Hey girlfriend,” says a mighty Oak, “remember when I was naked? images-1But look at me now!”

The Azalea bushes also tease, Unknown their pink heads bobbing in the breeze, while the dogwoods giggle like tipsy go-go girls.

And those wacky squirrels having sex right out in the open, proving spring fever is still in the air.

Sex, really? During a crisis?

They stop and look at me…yeah, what a better time, calling me a nut, and who knows more about nuts than they do.Β Β  Unknown-1

When I think the Governor thought of closing the Park, I shudder.

Mother Nature, having a seat at the table must have said…

You know how much I like you Andrew, being so cute and all. When I think of that scrawny Pataki…oh, and that horny Spitzer, but I’ll get to the point. Don’t you even think about padlocking my door, or Albany will be courtin’ an avalanche. Ya hear me Andrew?

And the Governor said, Yes Mother, I do. images-1 πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, creative writing, Gratitude, Health, humor, inspiration, nature, New York City, Politics, words, writing and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

86 Responses to The Pleasure of Your Company

That would be the end all of any sanity for more than a few!
    Gorgeous pictures of Mother Nature showing off. She’s not worried about any silver streaks is she?

2. I’m so glad you can still go to the park, an oasis of refreshment in these stifling times.

3. aFrankAngle says:

I smiled the entire journey of this post. Love the various pinks. Thumbs up to the azaleas, especially since mine here are and have been just green. Keep smiling!

Susannah, I had similar thoughts about nature filling my heart yesterday. I can’t imagine what good closing the park could possibly have done. It’s beauty never escapes your appreciative eyes.
    As much as I’m not crazy about being stuck in the sticks, I will miss the wild life when we downsize and move. There are five young fox cavorting at the end of our driveway all day, two families of geese and a gang of five male ducks in our pond, and chipmunks, squirrels, and birds galore. Last week an otter played in our pond for two days before moving on. While sitting in the backyard we often have deer and rabbits pass through. This was a wonderful place to raise our four children.

• I think what I love most is their ongoing wisdom, how they stay their course no matter what.

Re closing the Park…In the onset of Covid-19, it was discussed because of contagion. People in groups were still congregating, but they’ve been better about it, and now there’s a fine, though I haven’t heard of it being enforced. My dear Governor has truly done an outstanding job, so there’s no criticism here. πŸ™‚

5. Beautiful photos, Susannah. Thanks for the tour. It is good to listen to mother when she talks.

Well look who was up at the witching hour . . . You prowling, Cat Woman?

As for the Gov, he’s one of the bright light in an otherwise forgettable last couple of months.

• I love that picture of him. I’m a fan.

• Sorryless says:

He’s one of the good ones

• Yeah, so it’s been proven. I love his self control when it comes to you know who. He’s so majestic in comparison. You have this bloated, unhinged selfish man, and one who was brought up as a gentleman who can keep his wits no matter what. It’s a pity they couldn’t change places, but then of course we’ d all be dead here in old New York. I’m gonna blame Hillary for having so many enemies because, that’s why he’s perched in the Oval like a third rate sideshow.

• Sorryless says:

The Cuomo Family is akin to the New York version of the Kennedys. From Mario to TV star Chris- who’s a self described hot head, which only adds to his charm I think- to Andrew. He is a true leader, inside a time when McCullough would be hard pressed to find one to write about. . .

• I remember falling in love with his father on the Ken Burns film about baseball. Loved how beautifully, yet with a boroughesque bent to his parlance, spoken he was. On a more somber note, I remember his funeral when they were carrying him out from Campbells. I lived across the street then, and I have the most poignant image of Andrew’s mom with her head on his shoulder. Matilda Cuomo truly can depend on her eldest son. He was so sweet with her. He’s a good man, across the board, not just during a pandemic.

• Sorryless says:

I just finished re-watching the Ken Burns film a few weeks ago. You have described Mario perfectly! And parlance . . . in the file it goes.

Cuomo always had a poetic style to his speeches. He was such a magnificent orator. Did you know there was talk back in the day about him becoming baseball Commish? THAT would have been divine.

• I never heard that. It’s fitting. He was genuine. That’s the word that comes to mind when I think of him.

• Sorryless says:

The genuine article.

• That rings like a great title for something. Meant to say in my little Mario homage, his son when he speaks, also has that same cadence. Doesn’t try to hide it. I loathe when a guy from Queens suddenly sounds as if he went to Oxford. I just got a chill.

• Sorryless says:

You’ve got a trifecta on the file front with homage, cadence and loathe. So well done, SB.

As for Mario Cuomo, eloquence comes to mind. Much like any great orator, I would have listened to him read the side of a tube of toothpaste.

• I loved him in Baseball, how excited he got talking about it in his Queen’s twang his son inherited. Burns must have love him since, he’s that way too. He’s all in on whatever he talks about, enthusiasm at high tide.

Words…lets add eloquence to Moby file πŸ™‚

• Sorryless says:

He had a few great turns in that one.

We should call it that . . the Melville Files

• It took me second to get that. That’s pretty funny. Okay, its name from here on in.

• Sorryless says:

We’re off and running!

7. Clever Girl says:

Cuomo and New Yorkers have handled this entire thing with such aplomb, it’s really inspiring. I can’t imagine how difficult it’s been for all of you these past many weeks. I’m happy to hear you still have Central Park.

• And she’s never looked more lush in her many colors. The green especially. it’s like Ireland. I’m happy to report, they took down the hospital tents. That’s a very promising sign. πŸ™‚

8. Clever Girl says:

Awesome! Hang in there Susannah!

9. Your Gov has a cute family too. It must be genetic.