Freedom Writer

I’m very patriotic, not quite certain where it stems from.

Could it be the Flag that waved from our porch every Memorial Day and 4th of July?

My dad was in the Royal Air Force during World War II, something he never talked about. When you think he more or less drank himself to death, it’s easy to do the math.    thumbnail-1

Am I a Proud American because of him you think?

Or are the framers the ones who straighten my spine whenever I hear the Star Spangled Banner, whether it’s from Arlington or a Yankee Game.

Is it Lincoln?  images-3

Teddy?   images-3

John Kennedy Junior saluting his dad?   Unknown-3

All I know is, no matter what shape America is in, I still stand by her in full-fledged faith, believing she’ll rally since she’ll always be the greatest country in the world.

Memorial Day is in honor of all the men and women who served her nobly, without complaint.

My dad was in his 20s when he shipped out, much like the boys in Vietnam whose names grace the iconic Wall in Washington. images-4 Unknown-1

My dad came back, at least physically.

They did not.

I visit The Vietnam Memorial images-4 now and again, and maybe the tears I shed reading the names of the fallen, are what makes me that Proud American.

God bless them.

God Bless America.   Unknown

This entry was posted in Beauty, creative writing, Culture, Faith, Family, grace, Gratitude, History, humanity, inspiration, war, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Freedom Writer

1. aFrankAngle says:

An outstanding tribute that you wrote from pride – not arrogance. A salute to you for your wonderful personalized salute.

Thanks Susannah. Far too many forget what this holiday is meant to symbolize and remember. In school, students are taught dates and battle results. Individual stories of sacrifice would resonate so much more.

3. Hooray for the USA! I’m patriotic, too. I love this country, and the older I get, the more aware I am of how blessed we are to have been born here.

4. Kate Howell says:

😎🇺🇸

~Hal Rubenstein From my iPhone

5. Vasca says:

Thank you, Susannah. Beautifully penned. I become very emotional whenever I hear songs about America! Shedding tears of pride and love for this most awesome country. Like you, I am so thankful that I was born here. My husband’s grandfather rode with Teddy Roosevelt, my husband served 32 years, in two wars and thankfully returned in one piece physically; so many did not.
    God bless America, land that I love. Stand beside her and guide her
    Through the night with a light from above.
    From the mountains, to the prairies, to the oceans white with foam.
    God bless America…my home sweet home!
    God bless America, my home sweet home. P.S. God please, please stay with us, please! I love this country so much. Always have, always will; God bless all those who have served and be with those who still serve.

• Was Gramps a Rough Rider? Now that’s impressive. I did know about your husband. I guess patriotism has to be in your blood, somewhere. It’s very comforting during times of uncertainty, like now, to know and remember our history since, she’s been in tough spots before and always prevails. Long may she wave. Happy Memorial Day Vasca.

6. Beautifully written and expressed Susannah. My dad was a naval aviator during WWII, and he also came back but died of cancer five years later. Sitting on the flight deck day after day waiting to take off and inhaling high octane aviation fuel fumes was not the best for an asthmatic. He was proud to serve and would be delighted to read your post. Thank you.

A lovely tribute to the country you call home.
    Like a boyfriend or a girlfriend, we always think our own is the best and most beautiful. And I think it is how it should be.

8. Your well crafted post reminds me of a quote:
    “Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president or any other public official.”― Theodore Roosevelt

• Teddy is an idol of mine, and I’ve often wondered what he’d think of all this. I remember during peace time, he sent the whole fleet on a tour around the world so every one would be reminded, we were still on our toes.

John Quincy Adams, when asked, what party did he belong to said…Sir, I belong to no Party, I represent the people.

Lincoln, when Edwin Stanton, his tough Secretary of War would argue, when Lincoln refused signing an order of execution, the punishment for a soldier deserting saying, it was a high crime to desert, Abe would say, he didn’t desert, the lad was just homesick.

Leaders, with heart. Leaders, with clear vision.

Those were the days!!! Memorial Day…2020

9. Great post. I think everyone should be patriotic towards their own country. Despite what some people seem to think, it’s patriotic to point out the shortcomings of your country and try to make it better. Happy Memorial Day. I hope it is peaceful.

• I know many people who just don’t care. Means nothing to them. Just now I was looking at photos of Arlington, the flags they place on all the graves and started to weep. The simplicity of remembrance. So moving, so necessary for those left behind to mourn, no matter how many years go by. Loss, it lives in your heart, beating bravely for the fallen. I appreciate what you wrote.

A beautiful tribute, SB. Your love of country shines through, not just in this wonderful piece, but every time you speak of these things.