Pandemic By Phone

7:15 A.m.

images-1I’m in the market, in the check-out line.

If you ever told me it would be such a wealth of material, I never would have believed it.

A woman is behind me images-3on her 6 foot mark.

images-1 Another woman is sitting at the…DO NOT SIT AT THE COUNTER…counter, drinking her…COFFEE ONLY TO GO..coffee, talking loudly…NO CELL PHONE USE…on her phone, through her mask as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

I look at the woman behind me and say, “Even a pandemic can’t stop her.”

We both, since we’re about to lose our minds anyway, start to laugh, holding onto our chests like we had just seen Robin Williams at the Improv.

Finally, pulling myself together say, “Ya know, maybe it’s a good sign, that life doesn’t have to skip a beat.”

“Or miss a call,” the woman behind me says.

We have a farewell giggle, as she moves up, and I slip out the side door.

This entry was posted in comedy, Culture, food, Health, humanity, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to Pandemic By Phone

1. robprice59 says:

Laughter is a fine medicine.

Susannah, I agree that we have to find the humor in things or we’ll go nuts. Didn’t that yahoo realize she might be doing something wrong when you two were laughing at her? Maybe when the world revolves around you, you’re oblivious to the pesky space debris floating by.

3. Teacher Camille says:

Haha! I enjoyed everything in this post. Such a great read during these challenging times. ❀

4. Vasca says:

‘Ya never know where your entertainment will call out…humor is good for the soul – especially at this maniacal time! The world needs all the laughs it can get…even little rolls in the spaced out, check-out lines. Good hoots.

5. There is no way you could make this stuff up, Susannah. Lots of laughs here.

Humour is primordial, as far as I am concerned. No way in hell I’d have gotten through life without it.
    And for some people, dontcha know, rules don’t apply?

7. Instant rapport with your line-mate! Fun! I loved your choice of words to describe the oblivious one. It takes all kinds, though we’d like to remove a few.

8. You could never be that oblivious of others.

There are eight planets in our solar system, but there are countless more right here on terra firma. These people live on the planet called “Mine”, and as such abide to the sovereignty of that dubious firm of “Me, Myself and I”. Where everything is for them and about them.

I never want to live in such a place. I’d much rather understand the world as a shared enterprise, whose better and worse is ours to make.

10. Human nature never fails us … dear lord… hahaha

11. That’s probably the best response in these tense times, to just have a laugh at it and go on. The whole world’s gone crazy, but at least insensitive jerks will never change. πŸ™‚