Revelations

I dreamt of Bill Hicks last night, a rarity these days.

When he first past in 1992, he visited frequently, now not so much.

He was on stage in a black hat, and all I remember was the word…REVELATIONS.

I woke up agitated, unable to go back to sleep.

He once embarked on what he called his Revelations Tour, you can now watch on video.

That said.

I was very upset before I had gone to bed because they imposed a curfew on New York City from 8 P.M. till 5 A.M. for one week, making me feel more rent of my Civil Liberties than ever.

I’m getting rather miffed at being told what I can and cannot do, and if that sounds haughty, so be it.

I realize this unprecedented looting in my neighborhood has to stop. I’m stunned by it quite frankly, that the death of a man his family and friends describe as a gentle giant, is being used to steal and terrorize.

Who are these heathens traveling from state to state anyway?

I’m also thrown by the twisted tactics being tossed around.

Peaceful protesting is very American.

Think of the March on Washington in 1963, with over 200,000 people ending up at the Lincoln Memorial whose purpose was to advocate for the civil and economic rights of African Americans.

I get emotional when I think of them standing in front of Lincoln who, even in marbled effigy, still inspires.

It was when Martin Luther King gave his famous ‘I have a dream’ speech, a plaque marking the spot.

Of course, 18 days later, at the 16th Street Baptist Church in Birmingham, Alabama, a bomb exploded killing 4 little girls.

What’s my point?

Not sure, except I’ll say again, history repeats itself.

There’s good and evil duking it out…then…now.

What do we do?

Some say call out the National Guard, but then Kent State rears its ugly head where, in 1970, 67 rounds were fired in 13 seconds killing 4 students.

After almost 3 months in semi seclusion, these gatherings, peaceful or otherwise, may ignite Covid-19 all over again, undoing all the good, sheltering in place, has done.

It’s no wonder Governor Cuomo is upset.

What should we do?

Stop hurting one another whether it’s by gun or virus?

We need to corral our upset, recognize it, keep it in check.

We’re like tuning forks at too high a pitch.

If the violence and indifference doesn’t stop, the Book of Revelations may have a new printing.

Maybe that’s what Hicks was trying to convey.

This entry was posted in Culture, grace, History, humanity, inspiration, New York City, Politics, violence, war, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

83 Responses to Revelations

Susannah, my senior high school trip was rerouted during the 1968 race riots in Washington DC.
    Man is not unique in his need for a pecking order. The phrase pecking order comes from chickens that always need one poor soul to mercilessly chase and peck. It’s the main trait I dislike about Pookie’s free range chickens and guinea hens. If we aren’t trying to make the bottom rung racial, then it’s ethnic, religious, mental; there is always some inferior difference to find.
    Why is equality such a difficult concept to accept?
    I was supposed to transfer to Kent State for my junior year. After the shooting, my mother freaked and said I would have been right in the middle of it. We forfeited our deposit and application fee and I ended up in Green Bay.
    Another excellent post, Susannah.

• Wow, what a story. I am very fascinated, for lack of a better word, by Kent State. I was in high school and was so obsessed that my teacher called my parents thinking, something was wrong with me. I remember the whole thing clear as a bell. The fallen: Jeffrey Miller, Allison Krause, Sandy Scheur and William Schroeder. I’m glad your mom didn’t let you go Skinny. You’re so passionate a person, you may very well have been there that day.

2. Vasca says:

Susannah, thank you for this. I had nightmares all night and was up and down like a yo-yo. It’s almost impossible to keep oneself pulled together during this tunultuous time. I’ve begun my fourth month of quarantine & on the road to resenting being ordered; as if I’m in prison. I want to be out. What can we do about it..a quandry! My second son is 65 yrs, married w/3 sons and a grandson (I’ve not been able to see) and he works for a great school district…he also writes. Forgive me for including something he sent yesterday.
    “A black man, a friend, David, invited me to join a chain of black men who have pledged to be positive, to build up and not tear down. I am of a different color, but choose to honor any man who aspires to this quest.” A step…just a step. This cannot go on forever and ever. God help us all. Thanks Susannah for all for your spirit.

3. I would hope that those who are using the protests as an excuse for mayhem get caught. There are several agencies here in Texas closing in on the organized lawless objectives of these folks. They have as a stated objective “militant disobedience.” This is code for disruption of the American process. Excellent post, Susannah.

• I need to stop wailing about it all, to be quite honest, but I try not to censure myself when I sit down to write. Disruption of the American Process. I really like that. It sounds right to me. There was a terrible scene in Brooklyn because protesters didn’t abide by the 8 p.m. curfew, refusing to leave. So what happens then? The police trying to enforce the law that no one wants to respect depicts brutality. The footage is chilling. Sigh

• Vasca says:

The footage we see when the police try to keep peace makes you cringe for sure! It’s encouraging to read John Howell’s remarks about here in Texas the authorities are closing in on the real troublemakers. Thank God for some progress in that direction.

• We have the same thing here in Austin. The protesters blocked the major interstate highway. The police announced that if they don’t move, tear gas, pepper spray, beanbags , and rubber bullets would be used. Sure enough no one moved. The police opened up as advertised. A couple of people got hurt .(broken fingers and one unconscious) The lawyers are demanding the release of names of the officers and that they be punished. The release of names will probabily be used for civil suits. Had the demponstrators left as directed none of this would have happened. The question is who believes blocking a major highway isn’t a disruption of process of those folks caught on that highway for hours? (You don’t just get out of your car and walk home after all)

• See, that’s where it gets too murky for me. Why couldn’t they just go home. In Brooklyn the issue was, they didn’t abide the 8 p.m. curfew. i don’t mean to repeat myself, but how should the police respond. By ignoring the law that was set for a week? I’m not crazy about the curfew since, it seemed after the fact when so much havoc happened along with casual larceny, but I was in at 8. I didn’t go against it with my admitted ire. We need clearer boundaries on all sides. Wonder what the evening will bring. Thanks John.

Austin, was Bill Hicks’s favorite town.

• Lots of protestors out this evening. There are promises on both sides for a lack of violence. We’ll see what happens. Austin is a great city for sure. Not surprised it was Bill Hick’s favorite. 😊

• One of his best friends I believe still lives there. A musician by the name of Kevin Booth. A great guy.

• I looked him up. He is still making documentaries.

• He told me once, he had enough material on Bill to make records, etc, forever. He’s the one who called to tell me Bill had died. I remember the call. sigh Finest of men.

4. kingmidget says:

So much here to respond to. I’ll be back later when I have more time!!

• kingmidget says:

History repeating itself … what I find stunning is that Trump is turning this all into a reprise of the 1968 presidential election, complete with tweets about The Silent Majority, and now running as the “law and order” president. And he’s doing all of this even though … well, yeah, that all turned out great for Nixon.

What bothers me the most is that neither side is making the distinction necessary. There are the protesters and there are the looters/rioters. They are not the same. Trump and his allies are worse at this — seeming to lump them all into the same category. And in some places, it certainly seems that the police are not making the necessary distinctions, at least in some cities. Everybody should be united against the looters and doing whatever they can do (legally) to put an end to that. It seems the last couple of days, the looting has decreased. (or is it that the media isn’t reporting it as much?)

I drove through downtown Sacramento yesterday around lunch time. A virtual ghost town with most businesses boarded up and just as many just completely shut down. With the pandemic, the thousands and thousands and thousands of downtown workers have been working from home the last couple of months. That’s likely to continue for several more months, at a minimum. I simply don’t know how these businesses can survive without the customers they need.

I just emailed a couple of friends and told them I feel useless. Sitting at home, just watching the news. This is a time when I could actually participate and help, given that I’m newly retired and have more time on my hands. I need to figure out how to go about doing that.

But … years ago, I started writing a collection of connected short stories based on some of the characters I’ve come across while working downtown. It was going to be connected via a different incident, but now I’ve decided to use the current situation to create the connection and show how these twin illnesses could impact every day people. Hopefully.

Take care of yourself SB.

• That’s a great idea. Let what we’ve been witnessing inspire rather than paralyze. I’m for that.

New York has really taken a hit in more ways than one. Many stores just closed, now with for rent signs looming in the windows. We had a sweet little cafe on Park and 88th that alas, is no more. They must have cleared out over night because they were there, then gone, as if all that espresso and homemade baked goods were all just a dream.

The police. What can I say. After 9/11 I became their biggest advocate, but as of late, am on the fence. They look as bewildered as the rest of us, which of course brings out my softer side, but where is the gravitas we need to feel safe, WITHIN THE PARAMETERS OF THE LAW, I ask you?

AND WHY CAN’T THE LOOTERS BE ROUNDED UP? DO WE NEED THE PINKERTONS TO COME LEAD THE CHASE? On a lighter note, it makes me want to watch AGAIN…Butch Cassidy, just so I can hear Paul Newman say…who are those guys. Always a light side Midget to keep us afloat.

WRITE WRITE WRITE. We aspire to inspire. Your Pal.

• kingmidget says:

Oh … here’s the other thing I wanted to respond to…

“Sounds too easy, because the man who killed George Floyd, in my opinion, snapped, making racism the only cause, just a bit too simple for me.”

Yes!!! A thing I’ve thought for years. Yes, there is racism in law enforcement, just like there is in any profession and in every corner of our country. Unfortunately. But, I think a lot of what is attributed to racism is really something else. Working downtown, I’ve seen plenty of … let’s just say, challenging individuals. And the police have to deal with these people in a very real, direct, and personal way every single day. All day long.

Where I used to work, I was the general counsel and I took on a role to keep other people from having to do it. When “crazy” people called and the front desk staff couldn’t figure out how to deal with them, I had them transfer those calls back to me. And when “crazy” people came in to the office in person, if I was in the office, I took on the responsibility of dealing with them too. Why? Because the front desk staff did not get paid enough to take that on themselves. But, anyway, after years of doing that, it really started to get to me. One of my bosses said that the more time you spend around mentally ill people, the more at risk you become of developing your own issues. Yet another reason I needed to retire — before I went off the deep end.

But, this is a problem that law enforcement in many communities deal with day after day after day. And I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of them did not get adequate training to know how to appropriately handle them and do not receive the support needed to protect them from the adverse consequences of having to work with people like that as constantly as they have to.

So, yes, racism is an easy explanation, but it is far, far more complex than that.

5. Hi Susannah,
    This post in on point! It is everything I have been thinking but didn’t know how to express it – thank you for doing so!
    I thought of you when I saw the chaos in NY, and have followed your trials ….with Starbucks closed and having to run with mask on – or in the middle of the night, and now looters and curfew…please be safe!
    I cherish NY and miss it already – as of now my office has moved to Westchester.
    I believe in miracles so I know we will survive this and hopefully some lesson have been learned.
    Blessings to you! ♥♥

• Thank you so much for writing. The city is a little better, but with still few break-ins. I don’t understand why there aren’t more police just out rather than just where the protesters are. it’s a mystery. Being no fan of our Mayor, I can’t say I’m surprised. He seems to have misplaced judgment, like many of our current souls in office. But we shall overcome, as they say. Faith over fear Madam.

I honestly don’t know what to say. How looting somehow always manages to appear when there is proper protesting. It makes no sense to turn against one’s fellow man because that is exactly what the looters do. They hurt their own neighbours.
    And that thought keeps crossing my own mind with all the protests going on – even up here in Canada – not all are masked. Do we really need to add to the already insane numbers of infected?

• I just read Mark’s piece, and feel his pain poured onto the page.
      I’m more angry than sad, at the moment, so very sick of the Dog and Pony Show that’s our government. It’s a travesty across the board. Even the man in charge of New York City is incompetent to lead. Like it’s another virus, the chronic stupidity. Looters are agitators, determined to create as much anarchy as possible It’s so sick Dale, and the big question is, why can’t they find them and arrest them, rather than those, who even if they blew off curfew, weren’t breaking windows and stealing.
      And you’re right. As much as I believe in a person’s right to march, THIS AIN’T THE TIME. What else can I say. Sigh I have to stop writing about it. It’s not helping anything. Prayer, I’m sure, would be much more effective. Thanks.

• Dale says:

Yes, Marc’s piece is heartrending.
        And yes, anger is definitely what most people are feeling, right now. And Fear. So much fear which brings on more anger, don’t you think?
        Arresting those who are simply walking past curfew is the equivalent of locking up a person for smoking a joint – with nothing else on his person. It’s illogical and, frankly, easy. Not to mention a waste of resources.
        It’s your way of getting it out of you. Meditation, prayer, whatever helps… Proper action. I don’t know anymore, to tell the truth. I can’t even imagine what it is like in NYC. It makes things here look like a walk in the park.

• It’s tense, is the way to describe it with a myriad of crazy reactions and attitudes. Fear that propels people to act crazy. Even the response about the killing of that man in Minnesota feels like it’s an excuse to let off steam, which I know is a snarky thing to say, but it’s my visceral take on it. It’s too much and all it’s doing is making matters worse. sigh

• Dale says:

Snarky maybe, but not necessarily far from the truth. When you see the cops face – there is such an air of superiority. Made me want to punch him in the face.

• I know. He’s not at his best either. Tempers idle too close to the surface.

• Dale says:

God-awful situation all around

• You said it. We shall hope for better days.

• Dale says:

Yes, we shall. And we’ll do our part to make it better

SB,

I think Bill would have had just the right thing to say to all this, because he always seemed to be five minutes ahead of the rest of us.

And you’re right, racism DOES exist, but it becomes too narrow a topic to wield in troubled times such as these. That cop, what he did was criminal and the system, it actually is working now in that he was arrested and is facing murder charges. Of course, the system failed when we needed it most of all. As in before those nine minutes ever happened. There are so many inherent problems with policing that have not been addressed for too long a time. Issues such as that sad truth about how cops go through a physical and psychological evaluation, after which they are allowed and actually at times encouraged to seek counseling. But it’s not nearly that easy. Lots of cops fear the reprisal and don’t seek help when they really need it. Add to that how many cops are enlisted in a service branch. So you have a kid who serves a couple tours, sees all manner of hell and then comes back home and goes to work carrying a gun. Hello?

This isn’t to justify behavior that goes over the line and worse, but it is something that isn’t being addressed, and it needs to be.

As for the protests, I had a, let’s just say disagreement, with someone the other night about this. He was of the opinion that the protesters and the looters were one and the same and so I uh, let my Bronx out. I should have been more articulate, but sometimes I ain’t got it in me.

8. robprice59 says:

If Covid-19 has given us anything positive, maybe it’s a chance to change the world. Violence from either side only entrenches and polarises. We need contrition, compromise and cooperation. Please, everybody, I’m begging, let’s not squander this opportunity.

9. robprice59 says:

I should have added “Hicks was a prophet. How we need him now.”

10. Pingback: Maybe It’s More Than Racism | KingMidget's Ramblings

11. I think that the coronavirus pandemic is exacerbating what’s already there, but police abuse of African Americans has been a problem for a long time. 2020’s going to be one of those infamous years in history, I think. It does have a feel of the late 60s in a lot of ways.