The New Norm?

Unknown.jpeg How will it be, when we’re finally let out of our cage…when every business reopens, and we can all go back to work.

Will life ever be casual again?

It’s interesting, the things I miss.

The Gap for starters. To be able to browse in sailor shirts and hoodies, grabbing a pair’a socks as I go, lost in a khaki and denim dream.

Barnes and Noble’s magazine rack where you can buy coffee at their Starbuck’s cafe, perusing Vogue and Harpers, cozy at one of the little tables.

Being able to go to Whole Foods without a flight plan. To just walk in to pick up a few things, unlike now, the trip so harrowing, you shop for two weeks so they’ll be no reason to have to go back.

Talking to my neighbors, unmasked, unarmed, unafraid of meeting me in the hallway. Even to see Patrick, the Cat, who too like his master, may be wearing gloves and a mask yet still unwilling to come out.Β Β

The small and insignificant that one never thought of, never worried would be no more, are suddenly so urgent…my heart humbled, to even see the sunrise, afraid, that any minute that too will be taken away.

It’s so reminiscent of September 11th, thinking the sound of bagpipes would never end.

But you know what?

It did.

Β  images.png

Susannah

This entry was posted in animals, Culture, Faith, grace, Gratitude, Health, humanity, inspiration, nature, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

78 Responses to The New Norm?

Susannah, I keep thinking back to the first week of February when we flew down to visit my father and step-mom in Florida. Never in our wildest dreams did we imagine how our world would change so quickly.
    Your thoughts about missing the ‘casualness’ or life is accurate. You capture my feelings perfectly. I hope this too shall pass.

Liked by 2 people

2. robprice59 says:

It will be interesting to see how long the fear pervades and how quickly folk become inured.

• I think it’s already in play. This morning, I peeked into the crosstown bus while it lolled at the light, and all the people were masked, on their phones, like any old pre-virus day, just with half their face covered. Now we know what it must be like wearing a hijab.

3. Vasca says:

Thank you, Sisamma. Yes, for the casualness…oh, how awesome it will be to have it again. Just to be able to mosey around while enjoying a bit of window shopping…stop for a cuppa or glassa of something you enjoy. Sitting at a cute, outdoor care watching the parade of people pass by…wonder what they’re thinking…where they’re going…what their lives are about. Oh please God…help us get there! Please. Our hope lies in You.

4. kingmidget says:

I too wonder about how the “new normal” will be rolled out. I thought it would be a long time before I was willing to go to a restaurant, but I’ve been twice in the last couple of weeks, due to “special circumstances.” But I’m not intending on going back to the regularly scheduled program of regular meals out and meeting friends for a beer. And I’m definitely not going to a movie theater or a concert, or other large gathering any time soon.

I heard though that our President has this all figured out. πŸ˜‰

Liked by 2 people

5. Hope is eternal. Well done, Susannah.

As much as I have, surprisingly, not suffered too much from this imposed way of living, like you, it’s the little things I miss most. I have saved bundles of money and have learned quite a few things about myself and what I want to change – and I’m rather pleased with those discoveries. Then again, I am a silver linings kinda girl.

Liked by 2 people

7. That’s marvelous that hope will not be cancelled!!! Thanks for announcing that.

Liked by 2 people

I am having an increasingly hard time with the lack of cohesiveness on the part of government officials and the people I come across.

When I go into a store, I always wear a mask. I ain’t digging it by any means, but hey, it’s one less aggravation in the event someone has a problem with me going maskless. But for every one who does wear a mask, there is a person who isn’t. And now we’re yellow which means we’re open. Only we’re not. Not fully. Small businesses have been open and truth be told, they are hanging on by the seat of their pants. Or they’re already shuttered. While the mall is closed but the department stores IN the mall are open because they have their own exits and entrances.

And I just miss not having to consider all these new considerations.

Liked by 2 people

9. There is no lack of people in denial. However, the good news that there likewise is a good number of folks with hope too.

Liked by 2 people

10. I’m sure 2020 will be infamous but we’ll look back on it like 2001. People will probably forget all too quickly once it’s all over. Hopefully that will be sooner than later, though.

Liked by 2 people