When God Speaks Through Others

I was having a bad day.

There’s a quote from the film, Body Heat, when Ned, played by Bill Hurt, says...sometimes the shit comes down so heavy, I feel like I should wear a hat.

It was one disappointment after another, never realizing, how hard it is to have a good mewl while wearing a mask.

That said.

I’m sitting on a bench in the Park midday, something I rarely do. I choose a place with no one close by, so I can take off my mask to sob in peace.

ENTER…12 year-old boy on bicycle.

He sits next to me, in his mask. So I naturally now, have to pull up mine.

He says, “Wouldn’t it be better to just leave it off? I saw you crying. It’s why I stopped.”

Kids.

“That was nice of you,” I say, “but I’m really fine.”

“That’s what my mom always says, but I know she’s not.”

“What’s the matter with your mom?”

“She misses my dad.”

I pause, before asking, “What happened to him, did he leave?”

“Yeah.”

“Sorry, that happens sometimes. But at least you get to see him, right?”

He looks at me like a doctor about to give you a bad test result. “Well, no I don’t…see, he was real sick. Had cancer. He died in April.”

I sit there feeling now, even worse, because a young kid who lost his father, is trying to do for me, what he clearly can’t do for his mother.”

So alas, we bond.

“I lost my dad too,” I tell him, “when I was a little older than you. I didn’t get to see him. Were you with your dad?”

He solemnly shakes his head no. “They wouldn’t let us in the hospital, cause of the virus.”

Suddenly my woes pack their bags without even a wave, this kid’s stoicism showing them the door.

“My name’s Susannah. What’s yours?”

“Jake.”

“Nice to know you Jake. I’m real glad you stopped.”

He shakes my hand and asks, “Want some gum?”

“Sure, I’d love some.”

Β Β Β  images.png

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, Family, grace, Health, humanity, inspiration, kids, nature, New York City, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

65 Responses to When God Speaks Through Others

Nothing like a kid to bring things into focus, eh?
    Jake sounds like a wonderful kid. Not many would have stopped.

With young people like that boy, I’d say that there is plenty of hope for the future.
    Thanks for sharing such a touching story. And I hope you find your Pollyanna glasses real soon.

When they talk about all the many things that are in short supply in this world, they tend to skip over the one thing that always seems to center me: Perspective.

This is poignant and beautiful, SB.

Liked by 2 people

4. Kate Howell says:

Sweet 😳

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

5. What a perspective. I lost my dad when I was ten from cancer and I know how the kid felt. To this day I can’t stand it when I see a woman cry. Great story, Susannah.

• That boy is growing up with some stellar instincts. To stop like that. I said he was 12, but he may have been even younger. He was tall and willowy, that preteen length, like a tadpole, all legs yet to settle in to what they’ll become.

Liked by 2 people

• Taking on a lot of guilt is one thing to avoid. It gives rise to the desire to make things better when they are mostly out of one’s control.

• Maybe he blames himself somehow. And of course now he’s the man of the family, though he may have siblings.

• Yeah I heard that line and was sure it was my fault.

• I just answered you on the wrong comment. I’ll tell ya. Lucy is in the house, in a nutshell, a term that always sounds apt.

I too blame myself in moments of reflection, but, then think, when you’re young, are you really supposed to be that vigilant?

I’m reading TR…The Last Romantic, by H.W. Brands, and just finished how, when his dad, who he adored, was so sick at home with cancer, while Teddy was at Harvard, wouldn’t let his mother tell him how ill he was because he was doing so well at school, he wanted him to flourish without worry. Made me cry, number one, and made me think of that kid who should be enjoying himself, not worrying about weeping women. Books, how they illuminate at the right time. πŸ™‚

• So true on the books, Susannah. I guess I could go on for hours about my experience but thinks I’ll just put it in a book sometime. I think a great opening scene would be a woman on a bench having a good cry and a kid comes along……BTW the whole thing made me realize that humor wins out. Thanks for listening. 😁

• I’m about to read your Monday piece. πŸ™‚

6. Wow, your writing is wonderful, and you have drawn some other beautiful writers to your comments section.
    Oh and, you are hysterical!! Made me cry and belly laugh at the same time!

Perspective, indeed!!

7. Vasca says:

Lovely, Susannah. God has this way of putting just the right person in your life at exactly the time you need him or her. In your case it was this precious young man with the right perspective…wasn’t by chance! You were truly blest. This Jake is gonna’ be one heck of a catch…his mom has such a sweetheart of a son and what a joy he must be in her life.

8. God bless Jake. What a wonderful human being he is! And God, while you’re at it, please bless Susannah.

9. kingmidget says:

First off … as I always say, it’s the little moments of kindness and understanding that have the greatest weight.

Second off … sorry to hear that you’re struggling.

• Like I told Dale, or Marc? Can’t remember, I’m up off the mat. My stay there is always brief. Pays to be emotional since, like a sudden deluge, it’s over before you can shut your windows.

I love…the little moments of kindness and understanding that have the greatest weight. Hope you’re writing Midget. πŸ™‚

10. robprice59 says:

Poignant with a capital P

11. Jake is a rare bread these days ❀ So glad your paths crossed.