A Coupla Cats Sittin Around Talkin

I’m here with Pat the Cat, aka Patrick, my neighbor next door.

His owner for once, knows that he’s here since he’s visiting upon request.

I needed a sit down, okay on the floor, but still, with someone I could talk to who wouldn’t argue through his mask.

Of course a few sardines never hurt.

It’s about the PANDAMMIT and all that’s going on.

My library for instance, that’s only taking returns you leave in a big box out front that will be quarantined for 3 days.

Really?

If I want a book, I email, and they leave it in a paper bag on another table with my name on it. It’s left me quite sad not being able to go in. I know it’s all there is right now, but I ask you…

how did this happen?

How did our world become incarcerated by an invisible foe that we’ve yet to conquer.

English Susannah, English.

Sorry Pat.

When will there be a FUCKING VACCINE?

Is that better? Blink twice for yes.

Then we have my building that’s decided, any guests have to sign a book, like registered sex offenders, so they know if there’s an outbreak, who was here.

How bout a break out instead, beginning with…

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?

Pat, I see you’re now blinking like a traffic light.

Then a friend called who was invited to a party where rules will apply…an outdoor barbecue with space to spare.

I don’t know of they’ll be chicken Patrick, but he’s afraid to go.

No, you can’t go in his place, but I told him, pull yourself together, buy a nice bouquet and make an appearance. If it’s too uncomfortable you leave.

What do ya mean, why a bouquet? Because you bring something when you visit someone. It’s obvious you’re not from Connecticut.

I told him, you can’t live this way. You take care of yourself within the parameters of calm rationale.

Oh for Christ’s sake…

YOU WEAR YOUR MASK, WASH YOUR HANDS AND STAY 6 FEET OR MORE AWAY.

Jesus Patrick, when did you get so persnickety?

Shit, I forgot, you’re a cat.

Alright alright, milk comin up. Is 2 % okay?

Humor folks, might be all we have left.Β Β Β

Sigh

This entry was posted in animals, creative writing, Culture, humanity, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to A Coupla Cats Sittin Around Talkin

We will never take social gatherings for granted again. The simple pleasure of relaxing and chatting with friends was not so simple after all. Our psyches need socialization.
    I ordered six historical novels for Pookie online (Father’s Day). Four books came from your list! He thanks you. So will I when I read them too.
    Tell Patrick to keep his mask on and wash his paws.

2. Kate Howell says:

Cute and clever 😎

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

3. Good advice to the friend. Of course, the grace of a gift might be offset by having it sit in quarantine for a few days. Better get a vase with water. Fun post, Susannah.

• I’m ready for someone to spray me with Lysol. I mean it. What’s next?

• Sadly no one knows. I can see a whole campaign by the Lysol folks. “Tired of wondering if you are safe? You need a whole body spray of protection. While you are looking for protection don’t be fooled by just any disinfectant. Tell your friends to hit you with a soothing shower of Lysol. Now with the full body coverage nozzle. Remember you are not clean until you are Lysol clean. Now being hoarded at CVS.”

• CVS, is my new Breakfast at Tiffany…quite a drop, from pearls to wipes. New York I’ve noticed is in a bad mood, and it’s not masked, so to speak. It’s because of these masks that make you sweat like you’re in a sauna that’s causing all the grumbling, but then you see, New York is keeping her case load down, unlike other places. Wonders never cease. The protesting seems to have quelled, therefore, no more looting. Madison Avenue is making a quiet comeback, their facades deboarded with curbside pick-up for some, actual, only 10 customers allowed, in others.

As for me, I stick to my quotidian leanings like a Navy Seal hoping for the best. And you? What’s shakin in Austin? πŸ™‚

• Our cases here in Lakeway (think Darien CT) continue to climb fueled by a couple of hundred high school juniors and seniors attending their annual illegal beer pong festival. The county officials are apoplectic and the governor just retracted bar and gathering openings. The city of Austin has the highest positive test results in the country. All in all, it means that this old duffer is laying low. I get a bike ride each day but have been hampered by Sarharan dust. I have a need to wear a mask due to asthma and it does get a little uncomfortable while exercising. I think Texas is in a world of hurt now. The hospital beds are filling up and the cases keep on coming. BTW pearls to wipes is a sad drop.

• Was reading about it, and immediately thought of you. Now you know what New York was like. But here’s the good news, we’re out of the woods, at least for now, because people are adhering to the rules…wonders never cease, New York City being the bad girl that he is. So Texas will turn itself around too, I’m betting. It’s obvious we’re not collectively out of the woods, and doesn’t help matters that our roguish president won’t wear a mask. So many think, well…if he doesn’t, why should I? All very distressing.

Like you on a bike, with the wind in your hair. Great image. Steinbeck rode a bike, so does Stephen King.

• Wind in substantial hair I might add. I may get to a man bun before it is over. I think Texas will turn around but it is going to take some folks getting serious about the six feet and masks. I’m glad about New York. I never had a doubt the City would pull together. It has so many times on so many crisis’s.

• It could explode again, and it was expected after the protests, but it hasn’t., at least, as yet. I think if Cuomo had to shut down again, it would be catastrophic for the city. And yes, Texas will rise. Remember the Alamo. πŸ™‚

• Yes, the spirit of the Alamo is strong. Recovery is something that is going to take some work and cooperation by everyone. Now if the Saharan dust would only go away. 😷

• I’m sorry about the dust. I’ve been having pollen issues being in the Park every day. I hope it gets better so you can ride your bike.

• I still ride but need to wear a mask. I carry an emergency inhaler, but the mask seems to do the job. I would like to get a set of steam punk goggles to keep it out of the eyes. Of course I would frighten 100% of those I pass. As it is, folks can just think I’m emotional with the tear streaks on my face.

• You’re so funny. Keep that humor plugged in. πŸ™‚

• Gotta have it. Thanks, Susannah. Hope you have a super day. Strike that. Oden demands that you have a great day. (Pretty pushy that Oden.) 😁

• Yes…but we love-’em πŸ™‚

4. kingmidget says:

It’s all such a screwed up world. I really wonder when “normal” will return — when you’ll be able to actually go into that library and browse the stacks. When people will sit at restaurants, go to concerts. And until then, so much of what made for conversation doesn’t exist.

“Hey, what are your plans for the week?”

“Uh … nothing? Cause their isn’t anything to do. Again.”

• I know, and it won’t be soon. It’s all so odd. I just got off a Zoom 12 Step meeting, like an inmate at Sing Sing. sigh

• kingmidget says:

We spent the weekend at some cabins in the mountains. Spent two days with family. The whole time felt good. To be out and with others. The whole time felt weird. Were we making a mistake? Time will tell.

Now I’m back home and there remains nothing to do.

• You have to live and I’m sure you took care of yourself, plus that mountain air had to be good for everyone. You’re a healthy fellow with what sounds like a solid immune system. You run, you’re strong.

• What are ya readin? Meant to ask.

• kingmidget says:

I just finished reading Sarah Kendzior’s The View From Flyover Country. I was not impressed. Now I’m reading her Hiding in Plain Sight. This one might be a little bit better. From there, I’m going to read White Fragility. I’m likely going to want to throw up while reading it, but I feel like I need to inform myself about what people are saying.

How about you?

• I’m rereading TR…The Last Romantic, a tome about Teddy Roosevelt. Read it in 2004, and always say, it’s my favorite Teddy book, and I’m remembering why. The author, H.W. Brands, is a wonderful historian, a history professor at the University of Texas, in Austin. He’s amazing. I don’t normally like long reads, but he’s the exception. I’m also rereading McCullough’s The American Spirit, a bunch of speeches and essays he’s written. I long to loll in the library stacks, but alas, that just ain’t happenin now. sigh

• kingmidget says:

It’s fascinating to me seeing some of the leftie loonies going after TR now. He was the first person to be successful at the national level as a progressive. And was the first successful environmentalist at that level also. But nothing is good enough these days.

• He’s spinning in his grave in Oyster Bay, I can tell you that.

• PS I appreciate talking books with you. A real cyber boon πŸ™‚

• kingmidget says:

Me too. Just wish I had time to read everything I want to read.

• As long as you just keep reading. One of my favorite quotes is by John Adams…I discovered books and read forever. πŸ™‚

• kingmidget says:

That’s been the story of my life from the day I was able to read.

• I just ordered another Brands off of Amazon I’ve never read about Daniel Webster, Henry Clay and John C. Calhoon. I’m a big Clay fan, so I’m rather chuffed, to quote Dale. Of course I still have over 600 pages of Teddy so, Clay will have to cool those southern heels of his. See, I think he’s so underrated because no one really knows who he is when he was the Elvis of the Senate. We sure could use him now. Move the fuck over Nancy, the wry, spry, sly Senator of Kentucka is about to take the floor. I’m nuts, I know…but a reasonably well read one. πŸ™‚

5. We can always count on your humor, Susannah!!

I’m livin’ on the edge, Susannah. I’m having a Pool party BBQ sans pool tomorrow because the fucker decided to break on me during the hottest June I an ever remember and is gonna cost me a month’s salary to fix (was supposed to be fixed today for tomorrow but of course one problem led to another and the pool guy is coming back tomorrow at 7 am… but hey… c’est la vie and all that shit. He should be out by 2, when the guests start arriving. If not, hey, I’ll give him a drumstick. Eight of us are gonna hang around various corners of my yard. By the way, I prepared the chicken, salad, etc. Up to you all if you wanna eat it. I promise to wash my hands multiple times as I handle the stuff… I feel it’s gonna be weird. Keep ya posted.

• Your efforts are inspiring, to say the least. Just make sure, if people are drinking, they still adhere to safety measures. That’s what’s been happening here…all bets are off when the bar is open, hence…rising Covid cases. Not where I am, thank God, but in several states. Be happy, be grateful, be careful. And yeah, feed the pool man. Those meat and potato guys, oh so sexy, are always hungry, for one thing or another. πŸ™‚

7. robprice59 says:

We are a gregarious species. Social distancing knocks the stuffing out of us. Electronic media will never be an adequate substitute. Many jokes don’t work when typed.

8. Vasca says:

This was the ‘cat’s pajamas’, Susannah. Love Cat Tails!

There is a residual effect which will be affixed to this period in time, and it will stay with us for quite a long time to come, I do believe. Some of this residue will be downright shitty, in how it has worked its way into our every day mechanisms. But I like to think there is a seed, that has been planted inside this forgettable spring that will bloom in time. And with it, many of us will be more grateful than ever for the little things. My two cents.