And Then There Was…LIGHT

I’m home, puttering around, when all of a sudden, every light in the house went on except for my desk lamp that needs to be switched on.

It was very Close Encounters of the Third Kind, making me think, any minute E.T. would knock on the window.

I call downstairs on the house phone, but no answer.

I call the phone at the doorman’s desk, no answer.

Now, in full Pandammit mode, run down 5 flights of stairs assuming Nate, the doorman, would be in a pool of blood, just to find him outside talking to a lady with a Doberman Pinscher, named Chad.

No, I’m not making this up.

When I tell him all my lights went on, his…

I’m 22, and only the summer replacement, says,

“Really?”

“Yes, so could we call somebody?”

Apparently the super had stepped out, and the assistant was on lunch, and I was acting like Bette Davis in What Ever Happened To Baby Jane.

After saying, I was calling Con Ed, I prance back upstairs to find all the lights back off, as if I dreamt the whole thing.

I realized the house phone was ringing.

It was Nate, who said, there were no other complaints, so if he were me, he wouldn’t worry.

Ah, to be 22 again.      images.jpeg

This entry was posted in creative writing, humanity, humor, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to And Then There Was…LIGHT

That is soooo weird Susannah! You didn’t have a Ouija board out, did you?
    I asked Pookie about it and he said the trouble is probably in a switch. Sometimes you can’t turn lights on and other times you can’t turn them off. If there is a loose connection (my words) a slight tremor in the building could trigger the lights. Maybe a big truck going by.
    If you find a magic way to return to 22 please let me know!

Liked by 2 people

2. What an odd thing to happen! I’ve had everything go off at once, but that was just a power outage. Everything lighting up? Weird!

Liked by 2 people

3. aFrankAngle says:

I’m confident WP gnomes have have invaded your apartment.

Liked by 2 people

4. Vasca says:

Yikes. It always startles me when lights go on or off. Worst thing ever…Michael and I tent camped often and one summer we were driving from a birthday dinner w/my sis and her family in Aspen to our campground on Independence Pass when the headlights on our van went out. WHAT??? “Michael oh Michael”. Visions of going off that narrow highway and plunging to our death…the ene! Michael calmly said, “Don’t worry honey, they’ll come back on.” I almost died. Really!!!
    Right Susannah, oh to be 22 again!!! Love this.

5. kingmidget says:

Ummm … Get Out!!!! Which you did, but then you went back in. Hmmm….

6. I guess all going on at once is a tad better than all going off at once. (In the dark that is) I cannot imagine what would cause that. Are you sure you don’t live in the Dakota?

I don’t think I would want to be 22 again. I think I would still be irresponsible with it, especially considering my vantage point now. But 32 I could deal with, most definitely.

8. Eilene Lyon says:

🤫 Shhhh. You’re not supposed to tell. Now you’ve gone and spoiled the surprise.

9. Ya know what? The universe needs to calm the F down and stop with the pranks. As for being 22…one thing I know for sure is 22 year old me would have already had 56 year old me committed! What happened to that girl who gave zero fucks?

Liked by 2 people

10. As the movie director said, “Lights, camera, and…action.”