General Andrew Cuomo

images-2.jpegNew York has finally seen the day, without one virus fatality.

After all we’ve been through, whoever would have thought.

Governor Andrew Cuomo has done his work well, but as he’s already said, it’s not over yet.

States that opened everything at once, are seeing a sad resurgence, cautioning Cuomo even more not to follow suit, but how long can he hold out?

We now have outdoor dining, tents and canopies as far as the eye can see, but no indoor dining as yet.

That will be another matter with air conditioners on, circulating whatever streams from person to person, since diners don’t leave their masks on while eating.

And as far as leaving the air off, New Yorkers in the summer, won’t stand for it.

You already see it, a certain swagger, as if the virus has left us for good.

If only.

I’m reminded of Pickett’s Charge during the Battle of Gettysburg in July, 1863, when General James Longstreet Unknown held off giving George Pickett the order to commence, knowing, it would be a guaranteed slaughter for the South, hoping in the 11th hour, General Robert E. Lee would see the monumental mistake he was about to make, but alas, that wouldn’t be.

That’s how my Governor must feel, pressured from the powers that be to choose the economy over the safety of his citizens.

He’s proven to be a competent, level-headed leader, just like James Longstreet, but sometimes things, are just out of your hands…sigh ย ย  images-1.jpeg

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, grace, Health, History, humanity, money, New York City, Politics, readng, war, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

43 Responses to General Andrew Cuomo

That’s why public office is a calling for those whose purpose is noble. Unlike the televangelist politicians who keep both eyes glued to their Q ratings, men like Cuomo serve for one reason: the best interests of their citizenry.
    Beautifully penned props to the General, SB.

Liked by 2 people

It would certainly help if stores enforced the wearing of masks. Pookie was in a Stewarts Store checking out when a man not wearing a mask crowded up next to him. When asked to step back he belligerently challenged, “What are you so afraid of?” Then he saw the look on Pookie’s face and realized he better stop back or get clocked.

Liked by 2 people

3. I know one public servant who doesn’t seem to give a flying F about making decisions. There is not an ounce of empathy.
    My hope and prayer are that all of this has a good ending. Here in PA, the numbers are climbing. We have two groups; business as usual vs. hazmat suits.

• It’s mind-bogging, the whole thing. My old neighborhood is decimated…cafes, stores, closed since, they can’t recoup what they’ve lost and the rents are off the charts. Like walking through a ghost town. My friend’s Italian grocery store has stayed open throughout the whole thing…amazing to me, but fruit and cheese have their place.

I know PA is taking a hit. Hope you’re taking good care, along Gino and his esteemed mistress.

4. Texas is one of those stares that absolutely had to open the bars. Well, the bars are back closed along with thousands of new cases per day. I don’t think you can have it both ways. I liked the Longstreet example.

Here in Quebec, they have decreed it obligatory to wear masks in public as of tomorrow (the order came a few days ago, why it had to wait till tomorrow, is beyond me). About time. Like everywhere, places that allowed bars to open have seen surges…

Wonderful tribute to one who actually is more than doing his job…

6. Eilene Lyon says:

Our town has had a mask order for some time now and the CO gov just issued a statewide one yesterday. Mostly itโ€™s (tourist) business as usual here. Iโ€™ve gone to a couple outdoor venues to meet with a friend, but I think Iโ€™m preferring the โ€œmeet in the parkโ€ option.

Good for Cuomo standing his ground and doing the right thing. A refreshing trait in a public servant.

• Yeah, but businesses are folding at the speed of light. I feel for him, yet understand his actions since, he saw it all first hand. He wasn’t just sitting behind his desk in Albany in his nice blazer hearing reports. He was there in the trenches watching the masses die. I can’t imagine any of it Eilene since I was so affected from afar, without seeing what he saw.

Masks need to be worn. It’s a no brainer, but one sees the impatience of people. And Washington’s laissez-faire sure isn’t helping. Sigh
      We must be hopeful. We must be grateful. We must find grace wherever we can. Enjoy your day. Thanks for writing.

7. aFrankAngle says:

Your governor is the brightest light of the group of 50 … and it’s not even close.

8. Vasca says:

To wear or not to wear…that is the question? Shouldn’t be any question at all….common sense tells us it’s the way to go…wear one! So it isn’t comfortable? Having Covid is more than uncomfortable…it’s killing. I think your Governor is doing a good job; Of course I’m not a resident of NYC but I tend thinking the mayor could step up to the plate. Just sayin’.
    My place is moving along but slowly and ever so cautiously. The staff delivers breakfast and this morning they smilingly reported changes are coming next week…oh, oh…like what? We’re going back to real plates, etc. Plastic everything for almost five months and now real dishes? Woohoo! Hey, we’re calm and not bonkers…yet! God only knows how long people will hold on but gotta’ keep our heads up and oh how we need to be civil to each other. We don’t have to agree on anything to be kind to each other! BTW, I don’t like dining outside either. It’s ‘make out or take out’. Have an ‘up’ weekend. Hugs!

9. This is the kind of time when good leaders shine through, although I would never want to be a leader during a crisis like this. Thank God for the good leaders we do have.