Best Story of the Week…Raccoons on Parade

Between Covid life, and the heat, people are getting up earlier.

Nature, however, never alters her rhythms, no matter what.

It’s daybreak, the prettiest time of the morning, as I make my way north.

There are bikers to my right, and runners coming towards me as well as those approaching behind.

Suddenly there’s a troop of raccoons images-1.jpegcoming out of the brush, what looks like a mom and her brood, heading home.

Like hearing a shot, we all stop…the bikers putting on their breaks as we runners slow our steps, allowing them to pass.

And they do, on cue, giving no concern to us keeping to their normal schedule.

I half expect mom to wave, as she brings up the rear, making sure her kids, their small, striped heads, are all accounted for.

Must be nice knowing, she never has to worry about any of them leaving the house, without their mask.  images-2

🙂

This entry was posted in animals, Beauty, Culture, Family, Fashion, Health, humanity, humor, inspiration, kids, nature, New York City, parents, travel, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Best Story of the Week…Raccoons on Parade

Raccoons are one of the cutest looking and acting animals. It’s always a treat to see them.
    It’s interesting that people seem to be getting up earlier. I would have thought they’d sleep in. Is it to exercise since the gyms aren’t available? Pookie and I get up between 4:30 and 5:00, no alarm clock. Of course, we go to bed with the chickens, ha ha!

• It’s to have an hour or so of guaranteed peace before the crazies come out. It’s quiet with a semblance of normalcy. That’s why I go. It’s like a battle zone the rest of the day. Nothing is what it was, and it’s so disturbing Skinny. One stays home because it’s easier than fighting your way to have get your needs met. But at 5ish, Nature is in charge. 🙂

2. Vasca says:

Aah, such awesome freshnesss…I’m automatically awake at 5-5:30 and love it. It’s like a balm…quiet, tranquil…like, well as if all’s well and it makes me happy. Such a difference ‘tween that and the crash, bang of the rest of the day w/all its destruction. I love those little masked families marching out of the brush. And they don’t have pedestrian crossing…cool kids and their sweet mama! Thanks for sharing this cute episode to bring we fans such sweetness. Write on. Hugs to you Susannah!

I think people are getting up earlier not only to avoid all the crazies but with this friggen heat that won’t let up, it’s the coolest part of the day! What a joy Mama Racoon and her brood have brought. How lovely that everyone stops to let them pass, taking a moment to enjoy nature before rushing off and doing their thing.

4. Always had some infinity with raccoons. Had one in the house for over a week and never knew it. Just made himself at home and ate the kitty kibble. He came and went through the kitty door. We found him one morning in the guest room.

What a clever post about our cheeky little night time neighbors. I’ve had a couple run ins with raccoons over the years. I can honestly say that growing up in John Gotti’s neighborhood was less intimidating than a run in with one of these cute little rascals. Because you described it perfectly . . they are so damned cool and collected. They know they have the upper paw. Fughedaboutit!

• So you grew up in Middle Village, Queens? I heard John Gotti’s funeral was like when the Don died, in The Godfather.

• Sorryless says:

Howard Beach. What a place it was to grow up in back in the eighties. The home of Vito Antuofermo, Vitas Gerulaitis, Woodie Guthrie and of course John Gotti.

A favorite Gotti story. There was a cafe on Cross Bay Boulevard that Gotti no doubt had his tentacles in. My mother used to take my little sister there all the time for pastries. So they’re in line one day, my sister Noelle was eight years old and a rambunctious little snot, lol. So she’s telling my mother she wants this elaborate gingerbread house and mom is insistent she ain’t getting it.

“Wrap it up for them,”

Gotti.

Mom said thank you but no, but Gotti insisted. He bought my sister a gingerbread house.

Now this was five years before he took out Castellano at the steakhouse in Manhattan, but Gotti was well known, and loved, in our neighborhood. He took care of everyone.

I understand there is no glorious life with these guys, not like in the movies. But I always was a fan of his even though of course I know everything about his business. It’s one of those things where you really had to be there. To live inside that world and know those people.

• There’s a couple great books on him I’ve read.

I love that he bought your sister a gingerbread house. That’s one of his better stories. John was a rascal, no question.

• Sorryless says:

I ran into him a few times and really, the nicest guy. Sal Gravano on the other hand, he was grim death on a platter. My friend Jimmy was giving him shit once and he just got a kick out of us young punks. We never let Jimmy hear the end of it, the stupid ass. LOL

• You have great stories i see. It sounds right out of Goodfellas.

• Sorryless says:

Howard Beach in the eighties felt like the center of the universe. Of course that was because every kid thinks that of the place they come of age inside of.

• True. I recall all the unrest there. Later than the 80s, but it’s a name people remember.

• Sorryless says:

I had moved out of New York in January of 86 and it was December of that year when Jon “English” Lester and his punk friends chased those three men out of Howard Beach. I knew Michael Pirone. And once again, my sister Noelle plays Zelig. A couple years before the attacks, she had caught the eye of English. To which I said hell no, he goes near my little sister and I’ll kick his scrawny ass.

Postscript to 86, Jon Lester passed away a few years ago. He was back in England, his birthplace.

• How’s that for a poetic exit

• Sorryless says:

Every time I would go back in the years that followed, it felt like a city full of ghosts to me.

• I’ll bet. Someone I know sent me a photo of the house I grew up in, and it sure didn’t look the same as I vividly remember. Smaller, less imposing, like time shrunk it down to dollhouse size. I found it rather disturbing. As writers though, we can resurrect our memories to their original glory. 🙂

• Sorryless says:

And that’s exactly what we do. Because yes, it was the same with me. When I would go back after moving away, the alleyway behind our building seemed impossibly narrow. And yet, whenever we played stick ball there, it felt as big as Yankee Stadium.

• kInda sad, isn’t it. Sigh

6. Nature has a way of stopping us in our tracks, literally.

7. Considering those raccoons are probably 20th generation New Yorkers, I guess it makes sense. 🙂 They’re probably as used to people as most house pets.