Drunk, Naked and 16

In front of Starbucks…87th and Third – 6:00 a.m.

I’m watching a young boy stagger down the street with his pants down around his ankles, and he can’t be more than 16. Obviously out all night, a quart of Jameson as his date he’s still clutching protectively.

This is the second Upper East Side kid I’ve seen in somewhat disturbing disgrace, the other, pelting eggs at stunned pedestrians.

I have one question, as mundane as it is…where are the parents? Sleeping at 6 a.m. I’d imagine, but how could you sleep not knowing where your son is?

This is how it starts, addiction in all its debilitating glory.

A stolen bottle of liquor, someone over 21 agreeing to buy him a six-pack of beer. By the time he’s of age, and can buy it himself, he’ll have a good, rooted habit already beneath his belt he sadly, at 16, forgot to put on which is why he’s obliviously mooning all of Third Ave.

I just don’t get it. I wasn’t lucky enough to have children which, from my standpoint, is the ultimate grace.

How can parents be this casual? Makes me think of Columbine and Sandy Hook, when one wonders, how did that happen?

It’s called, not paying enough attention to your kids.

As I stand outside drinking my coffee, no longer able to sit, the booths taped up like a crime scene, I’m watching him careen down the street, stumbling and falling, barely able to hold up his jeans.

It’s breaking my heart, and no, Joan of Arc, or Bark as I’m better known, will not go rescue him, but I’ve prayed in my own scrappy, urban language…

Hey God, wake the fuck up please, and help this kid?   images-2.jpegThank you.

This entry was posted in alcohol, Faith, Family, Home, kids, New York City, parents, religion, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Drunk, Naked and 16

1. Vasca says:

Such a sad thing…this 16 year old careening down the street drunker than a skunk, pants tripping along with him! I raised four sons, all in their teens at the same time while their dad was off soldiering. I was the ‘Lone Ranger’ and guard dog for those boys. They called me ‘the Gestapo;…lovingly I might add. Back in that day there was a PSA on TV…”It’s ten o’clock. Do you know where your children are”? This mom made it her business knowing where her four were. It took lots of work but it was worth it. Thanks for posting this.

That is such a sad precursor for his future. And with high-schools going online he won’t even have the intervention of teachers. Much sadder is the fact that you are probably the only one to look at him with empathy and not disgust.

• I have a soft spot for all kids, after being one who bumped into walls at the speed of light. And you’re right, parents need to be more vigilant with what’s going on. Your Teacher’s Light is blinking Skinny, along with your parental one. 🙂

3. Lisa Ricci says:

I love this! Again, as an inner city teacher, I see and hear the worst I’ve been doing this almost 20 years and I’m still stunned some days and speechless. I still don’t get it. I have two kids, and I couldn’t dream of what you witnessed ever happening to them. Smh 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Being a teacher I’m sure influences you being a mom, and vice versa. One needs to be present, have eyes in back of their heads, and the kids need to know it. Boundaries are very comforting. Like knowing, you can’t swim out too far.

4. Lisa Ricci says:

Again, as a teacher in an inner city school, i have seen and heard it all. But I still continue to be shocked. I don’t get it either it. And it’s only getting worse. It’s amazing the lack of parenting that exists. I could never imagine those children in your story ever happening to my kids. smh

• I live in a very opulent part of town where too much of everything is the call of the day. Kids are entitled, arrogant and feel the rules don’t apply to them, and their parents are so mired in their privileged lives, they just can’t keep up. It’s not an excuse, just a sad explanation. Think Kennedys, and you’ll understand what I mean.

5. Such a sad beginning to life. Your prayer is perfect. I would extend it to “World wake the fuck up.”

6. kingmidget says:

I grew up in a home full of rules. My parents had four kids in five years — I think the rules were how my mom dealt with that kind of madness. As a parent myself, I wasn’t quite as rule-bound, but to this day, I still believe that rules and supervision are key to being a parent.

I’m of the firm opinion that nothing good usually happens after midnight. I have a good friend whose daughter is about to enter her senior year of high school. We were on a zoom call a couple of weekends ago. It was 5:00 p.m. This friend disappeared for a few minutes and when she came back, she said “Becky just woke up and I thought I should get her breakfast before I start to make dinner.” Yes, her daughter stays up so late every night that she sleeps until 4:00 or 5:00 in the afternoon. True, she is at home in this era of the pandemic, but still — even at home, nothing good happens after midnight. And I just want to shake my friend and say, “don’t let her do this!!!”

• Maybe you can GENTLY speak to your friend. Tact is an art, I know, but yeah, that doesn’t sound right. Establishing a normal routine, even if has to be recreated, is the best way to deal with what’s going on. Kids need boundaries. It’s for their own good, now and when they leave the nest since then they’ll know how to behave around others who may not have any. I’ll bet you’re a super father. A hunch.

• kingmidget says:

I was all about the routine with my kids. And when they went off to college, they both rebelled against the concept of a routine and failed miserably. Both of them. But I did what I could. 😉

But it’s just so strange how a lot of parents just kind of stop parenting right when their kids really need guidance, help, and role modeling the most.

• I’m not a parent, but was a wild kid because my own were not available. I needed discipline and care. They go hand in hand.

• kingmidget says:

Most children, in the absence of parental supervision, are going to get into trouble. It’s kind of inherent. It is the rare kid who does the right thing consistently if there aren’t adults or parents around to guide them.

But you turned out kind of okay, right? 😉

• I’m a decent human being, if that’s what you mean. But I stumbled a lot, and might have had an easier time with a little guidance. All moot.

We do the best we can as parents and still, this can be not enough or can – depends on the kids. You try to instill good values, teach them well and then hope and pray some of it sinks in.

It’s easy to judge the parents when we see a kid like this stumbling all over himself but we don’t know if he snuck out, don’t know if the parents are out searching for him. It’s way too easy to judge from afar.

8. Teens are crafty. Our son went out his window onto the garage and climbed down a tree after we went to bed. We did the best we could, but we couldn’t be everywhere all the time. One amusing comfort — the police told him his manners were much too good for him to be where he was.

9. Your imps are PASTELing about.

10. To see someone like that at one of their lowest points makes my heart go out to them since we’ve all been our lowest point, even if it’s not the same place, and everyone needs compassion sometimes. Maybe that moment was what he needed to clean himself up. Hopefully, at least.

• Haven’t seen him since. Rich kids, they’re blessed and quite often doomed by their privilege. He looked like a Park Avenue boy. They have everything but earned character, hence, stimulants that take its place. It’s sad. Perhaps I’m assuming too much, but I’ve witnessed let’s say, a little too much. On the brighter side, it could all change in a New York minute, as the saying goes.

11. My kids didn’t have a chance to sneak around with Columbo as their mother. Been there done that kiddies…lol!