You’re Just Dreamin

I haven’t had a drink in over two years, but dreamt I had gone out, as they say, if you start to drink again.

There I was on a bar stool sipping champagne like a showgirl, the dream so vivid, when I awoke, looked on my nightstand for the empty glass.

After panicking a bit, called a pal who said, “Hey…you’re just dreamin honey.

Then, being the alcoholic that he is asked, “Did it taste good? Did it go down smooth and easy?”

I laughed and said, “Ya know, I really don’t remember.”

He said, “Of course ya don’t. It’s cause, you were just dreamin, honey.” images-3.jpeg

๐Ÿ™‚

This entry was posted in alcohol, Health, humanity, humor, words and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

77 Responses to You’re Just Dreamin

Some dreams seem so real, Susannah. Two nights ago I dreamt that I moved a broom and there were around ten mice curled up together! They scattered all around the house. We haven’t had a mouse problem, don’t know why those rodents appeared in my dream, but I’m still checking corners in the house just in case.
    We’ll be on guard together.

2. Vasca says:

I have these dreams so often of late…about having sex…Lord knows I’ve not had sex in a long, long time and let me tell ‘ya! Talk about real…wow! Wow! One night after such a really vivid one, with a stranger no less, I sat up in bed…panting. Dreams can really be…well, like real. Glad you found no glass on you table! Hugs!

3. kingmidget says:

Congrats on your 2+ years.

After a lifetime of drinking beer every night, even when I was sick, and the nightly consumption gradually ratcheting up, and after a few years of different kinds of efforts to eliminate or significantly reduce that consumption, I just spent a month beer-free. I’m not experimenting with a modification — if I go out, I’ll have a beer or two. But no beer at home. So far, so good. (And in the age of the pandemic, when going out isn’t the same kind of option it used to be, there isn’t much going out.)

• Yeah, going out to eat presently, holds little appeal, unless it’s at a private house. I see people out and it seems weird, under these canopies…only the server wearing a mask. You can’t eat with one, now can you, and even though you’re out in the open, it’s odd. Nope, take-out…to-go, is the way to go. Speaking of beer, I loved a Becks with my pizza. Now there’s an ice cold tall glass of a memory.

• kingmidget says:

I went out a couple of times last week. To meet different friends. All outside with seating between groups spaced out. Masks required except when sitting at your table. And I was troubled by the idea that we were unmasked at our tables, and the servers had to pick up our empty glasses and plates. Itโ€™s all a bit odd and awkward.

But yes, pizza and beer go together well!

• Iโ€™m sitting in a nail joint drying my toes. Thereโ€™s a restaurant across the street I can see out the window. Masked servers, unmasked diners. Iโ€™m watching how close the waiter has to be to serve their lunch. When did life become a bad version of Blade Runner? Sigh

• kingmidget says:

On the one hand, these people who work as servers and other “essential” workers are probably very happy to have jobs and income. On the other hand, I just feel for them. My older son worked at a restaurant when all this started. It shut down as all others did back in March. He immediately went out and got a job at a grocery store. He is still working there, spending 40 hours a week interacting with hundreds of people every day. My younger son lost his two jobs, got a job at a grocery store and then moved home with a job lined up at a vet’s office. Again, working 40 hours a week and coming into contact with significant numbers of people every day. In the last month, two of his co-workers got sick and were tested — fortunately, they were both negative.

But it’s just so frustrating that there are so many that have to choose between working so they can put food on the table and pay their rent or doing what so many of us who are more fortunate can do — stay home and avoid so much contact. Needless to say, when I do go out, my typical 20% tip has become much more significant.

• How great your sons have such a work ethic. Wonder who they get that from? ๐Ÿ™‚ To keep pressing on is awe-inspiring, and to not allow fear to paralyze. It’s very admirable.

• kingmidget says:

Oh, I’ve made it very clear to both of them how proud I am of them. My older son in particular. He has exhibited significant laziness and lack of motivation in the first six years of being an adult. But a switch seemed to have been turned on when he moved down to San Diego almost a year ago. Not only did he run out and get another job right away, but he was also extremely angry/frustrated with his girlfriend and a lot of friends who lost their jobs and chose to do nothing except collect unemployment.

But … don’t underestimate the other fear both of them were working under … the fear of having to move back home and live with me. ๐Ÿ˜‰ My younger son did end up moving home, but he had a clear plan for moving out within 4-6 months. Which he is still on track for.

• Must be great to have sons. Like looking at variations of yourself. I just can’t imagine.

• kingmidget says:

There have been moments going in both directions. They definitely have similarities to me, but they are also hell bent on not being like me as they go through adulthood. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Yeah well, sometimes there’s not much you can do about your genes, and I’m not talkin Levis, either.

• The one thing I miss is going to the Carlyle then writing about it. Going for tea, just ain’t the same. I’ve tried.

• kingmidget says:

I know. There are so many things we used to do to fill our days and weeks, and now those things just aren’t available. Or if they are, it’s just not the same in some unknowable, unidentifiable, but very real, way.

• Our loves have been swiped, right from under us.

• kingmidget says:

By the way, Iโ€™m also experimenting with eliminating gluten. Actually much harder than the beer because almost every meal for decades included gluten – pastries, pancakes, sandwiches, pastas, pizzas, hamburgers. But now, that means a dramatic reduction in my pizza consumption. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Iโ€™ve tried making some gluten-free dough recipes, but it just ainโ€™t the same, dammit!

• No gluten, no taste or very little of it. This is what I think. Abstain, then once a week have pizza. Life is too short Midget, cut back yes, but stripped pizza is not the way to go. I do it with ice cream. Once in a while thereโ€™s a root beer float with my name on it, end of story. Alcohol of course is another matter. It owns you, where sugar and gluten are not such bullies. Wonder who Iโ€™m channeling.

• kingmidget says:

Oh, trust me, although I went completely gluten-free for a couple of weeks, I am not that anymore. What I’ve discovered is that gluten-free flour mixes are good for baking — muffins, scones, and the like, and pancakes. But the GF mixes just don’t work with breads that involve yeast. I found a gluten-free bread recipe that is okay, and I tried it as a pizza crust too. It was … again, okay, but it’s just not he same thing as what gluten does for yeast breads.

So, yes, I’ve started to have a bit of gluten here and there. A pizza last week. An occasional cheeseburger in the last couple of weeks. And, for instance, I’m making carne asada for burritos tonight. So, yes, flour tortillas. And that’s about it. And, of course, the occasional beer if I go out.

I’m probably consuming about 10% of the gluten I used to.

• I love that you cook. Love hearing the menus.

• kingmidget says:

Gotta cook!! Life would be boring with cooking.

• Yes, it would be. What’s your specialty? Midget Primivera?

• kingmidget says:

I make all sorts of things. Pizza that my friends had the best crust theyโ€™ve ever had. Homemade pasta, typically with carbonara, but occasionally I make raviolis. Mexican food of all sorts – but my best is Chili verde. I also make beans and flour tortillas when I make my Mexican fiesta. Homemade breads of all sorts, including a roasted garlic Asiago sourdough that is incredible. Hmmm … what else. Homemade gnocchi in three different sauces โ€” pesto, Gorgonzola, and red. Basically if I find something I like, at some point I try to make it myself.

• JESUS…YOU’RE AN UNABASHED, GOURMAND …AND THEN SOME. a connoisseur of good food. ๐Ÿ™‚

• kingmidget says:

I wouldnโ€™t go that far. I just know what I like and want to be able to cook it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I thought of something I havenโ€™t done that I want to learn โ€” smoking meat. Need a smoker.

• Then I think you should have one. Hello, Amazon???

• kingmidget says:

My son actually made me one a few years back in his high school welding class. But it’s not very functional, so I’ve asked for a re-design. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Make it a family project. I like that. ๐Ÿ™‚

• kingmidget says:

Now if he wasnโ€™t so damned busy.

• He’ll make time for Chef Daddy. I’m bettin.

4. This is rather haunting. I don’t want to make light of your realistic dream, but I dream of food once in a while. Even though I eat the food, I have never, ever tasted it.

Dreams can feel so real sometimes, can’t they? Good that you have a buddy to call to keep you grounded. Congrats on your 2+ years!

6. robprice59 says:

Congrats on the two years. Wish I had your will-power.

7. I used to have these dreams after quitting smoking. I was so disappointed with myself for starting again. Of course, I never did but the feelings of guilt were still there. I can say after 30 years the dreams stopped. Congrats on your over two-year mark.

8. Clever Girl says:

It’s National Naked Day, so maybe that’ll spark some interesting dreams tonight. Or nightmares, depending on who you run into ๐Ÿ™‚

9. I don’t know about you, but my dreams have been so vivid since the lock down, maybe as a way of compensating for just sitting in my house all day. I’ve had some fascinating dreams in the last few months. Very vivid dreams can stay with you for a long time afterwards, I find, the emotions wrapped up in them.

10. Lisa Ricci says:

I have been a complete wine-o since this whole COVID thing started and I e been hime. Gained 15 pounds between that and the over snacking. I need to stop the wine. Itโ€™s bad when Iโ€™m at the liquor store 2-3 times a week. I never thought Iโ€™d be addicted to wine. Weight watchers starts next Tuesday. Wish me luck. Going to try to make wine only a social
    Thing.

• Number one, don’t be too hard on yourself, this has been a very hard time. But, be that as it may, self care is in order. Try to walk every day…masked, safely. And don’t drink at home. Just have a non-alcoholic household. Drinking alone is a very bad habit to get into. I used to keep vodka in my fridge sipping it all day. NO NO NO. Fight for yourself I know you can. And I’m a big proponent of Weight Watchers, because they teach you how to eat. No starving on their watch.

11. Lisa Ricci says:

I love WW. Iโ€™ll be doing it with a friend. But your right. Keeping the wine out of the house. Thank you. โค๏ธ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป

12. Ok, I need that number. I need a calm, smooth voice reassuring me in the middle of the night.