Takes So Little

I was having a trying day, so when I came home and found raspberries in front of my door, it changed my channel, so to speak.

I have a neighbor I rarely see, but we leave things for each other.

He’ll get a bagel or cheese danish, leaving me berries, or an apricot muffin.

No note, no fanfare, just a token of…so you know I’m okay.

During these secluded times, it’s important to show yourself, like a submarine coming to the surface. I’m told the super has to knock on doors to make sure tenants are still alive.

Wonder if Garbo had this problem. Of course she would go out early in the morning and walk for miles so, someone would always see her. She didn’t live too far from here, near the East River, barely 15 minutes away.

But I’m digressing.

Thoughtfulness was my original theme, but you know us writers, our thoughts are like a buffet table offering soup to nuts, and in this case, raspberries.  🙂images.jpeg

This entry was posted in creative writing, Culture, food, friendship, grace, Gratitude, Health, humanity, humor, inspiration, New York City, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

80 Responses to Takes So Little

Raspberries are the best berry ever. I like the idea of leaving little tokens without the fanfare. Such a warm fuzzy thing to do.
    My youngest sister (15 1/2 years younger) lived with me for 3 months 34 years ago. We used to leave little things on each others pillows.

Liked by 2 people

That is such a beautiful thing. Neighbours like that are to be cherished. (As he does you, I’ve no doubt.)

3. You have some very special neighbors, and you are a good neighbor to them. NY!!!

Raspberries, when you ain’t expecting em. That’s a pretty sweet deal.

5. kingmidget says:

Any day with fresh raspberries is a good day!

Glad you had a good day.

What are you reading, young lady?

• I had a better day let’s say, and just found you in my spam I usually just delete without looking at it, so I wonder if I’ve missed some of your fine cracks and opinions. If so, I’m terribly sorry.

As for reading material, I have Hammett’s Maltese Falcon by my bed, and Heirs to the Founders in the living room, by H.W. Brands, a favorite writer of mine. It’s about Henry Clay, Daniel Webster and John Calhoun who sat in Congress at the same time, Clay as speaker of the house. I also have Nasty Bits, a Bourdain book I want to reread, coming from Amazon. I got a gift yesterday…a mug that says…I’M JUST A GIRL WHO LOVES TO READ. Ain’t that the truth. What’s on Mark’s bedside table???

• kingmidget says:

I’m in your spam!!! I’m in your spam!!! Ah, woe is me. Alas and alack, I am finished for sure.

I’m currently reading The Bone Hunger, a medical thriller by a social media friend of mine — Carrie Rubin. Beyond that, I don’t know what is next. Heirs to the Founders sounds interesting.

• Well, they ruled the Senate, and this was when it mattered who sat there, unlike now. Do you think Clay and Webster would have gone home before they figured out a stimulus package? I’d say not. Shame on Nancy and company. From mow on, I will check my spam more carefully…and how exciting you’re ready for another read. Brands is a great writer. You know what was great? The Congressman Who Got Away With Murder, by Nat Brandt…The most infamous scandal to shake the nation’s capital: a New York Congressman’s murder of his wife’s lover, Washington’s district attorney, the son of the man who wrote “The Star Spangled Banner” Representative Dan Sickles shot Philip Barton Key in front of seven witnesses, his plea of not guilty based on a totally …I lifted the last part from Google. It was the first case of Temporary Insanity ever tried, and Sickles got off. He then made a name for himself during the Civil War, losing a leg. He’s buried at Arlington.

6. Kate Howell says:

😎

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

7. A great thing to do. A great channel changer

8. Isn’t like the universe just knows what to do? Psst, go get some raspberries Susannah needs some love today. That’s exactly how I felt when Snoopy, with his glitter typewriter, made an appearance.

9. BPO bPa says:

I love that

10. That would make my day too. It’s nice get those pick me ups. Sounds like a great neighbor to have, even if you rarely see each other.