The Show Must Go On

Tomorrow all New York City gyms will reopen with an array of rules and regulations, but they’ll be open for business, for the first time in over 5 months.

I heard a lady say, how awful she thought it was. All those sweaty bodies in an enclosed space.

Her friend said, so what…it’s life, and the show must go on.

This made me think as I made my way home.

I’ve just finished two books on Teddy Roosevelt who lost his mother to Typhoid Fever, and without a vaccine, still went back to work.

Twenty years before that, Lincoln lost his 11 year-old son, Willie, to it also, and still went to Gettysburg.

Life didn’t stop because people were dying, and this is during a time when washing your hands and donning facial covering wasn’t even suggested.

It gave me resolve that, the second woman made a great point, that sweaty bodies or not, we need to carry on.

My seamstress who won’t sew for fear someone’s dress or skirt will infect her, needs to get her needles back out.

A former hairdresser of mine, who makes everyone bring a towel, has to dig out his Tide and do a load of his own.

The woman down the hall that sprays Lysol in front of her as she heads to the elevator, should switch to a sweeter scent like Chanel Number 5, or a little Verbena, from L’ Occitane.

My long winded point?

Enough is enough.

Let’s live, why don’t we. leaving fear to fend for itself.

My true sense.Β Β  images-1.jpeg

This entry was posted in Books, Culture, Faith, fitness, Health, History, humanity, kids, New York City, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to The Show Must Go On

1. Kate Howell says:

πŸ˜ŽπŸ‘

~Hal Rubenstein from my iPhone

2. I so agree with you but because of my personal risk factors, I have to stay on the sidelines. I hope everyone takes your advice. All you have to do is look at Sweden to see that not shutting down is not the dire result predicted.

3. I’m ready to go back to living a normal life.

I have to agree with you. There is being careful and there is being overzealous. You’ve mentioned a few people who are taking this to extremes. You can sew clothes safely, you can cut hair using your own damn towels and Miss Lysol – Lady, you’re nuts.

• Yeah, Miss Lysol, her new name, is a pip. One day I was coming in when she had groceries delivered, and you have to come get them yourself, so since I was coming up, offered to take them. SHE REFUSED WHEN THE DOORMAN CALLED HER. She didn’t want mw touching her bags despite the fact, they’d been touched God knows, by how many people? I can see her spraying everything before she touches it. IT’S INSANE DALE.

Liked by 2 people

A niece is getting married this weekend at her parent’s home. She limited the guests to under 50. Around 10 days ago she tearfully called us and said her mother decided to limit the guests to their immediate family only. Gifts had already been sent by most everyone and new dresses purchased by my daughters and daughter-in-law. It didn’t change the amount I would spend. Her mom is a story by herself, and not a good one.

• See, we all have a story. It’s sad this girl can’t be married surrounded by her friends, not just immediate family. Her mother’s fear is controlling the show. I only wish your niece could stand up to her and say…NO…NOT ACCEPTABLE…but alas, we know that’s hard. I’m so sorry. Maybe those dresses will come in handy, down the road.

• skinnyuz2b says:

My youngest daughter is getting married on the same date one year later. She picked the date a month before my niece. My sister-in-law said they are having a huge one year party next year. Since my daughter wants a small, immediate family only wedding, the S-I-L said they won’t need to change the date of the party. Her words: “It’s only your family that won’t be able to make it!”

6. robprice59 says:

I take your point but we ‘ve spent (or wasted) billions on lock-down. Covid is the same now as it was six months ago. So if we’re going to relax all of the lock-down regulations now, then why did we do it in the first place? It’s a massive U-turn, climb-down, volte face, red faces all around.
    If herd immunity is really the only answer, we should have just let Covid run its own course from the start.

• Have no response to this. Though apt, HATE the term, herd immunity. And my point was, fear more than lock-down regulations since, some people don’t care that some of their liberties have been restored, they’re that fueled on fear. It’s a crying shame Rob.

7. kingmidget says:

I get it, I get it. In some respects, the only limitations on what I’ve been doing have been imposed by the reluctance of others. I can’t get together for a beer with somebody unwilling to leave their house (although I guess I could meet them in their backyard — but at the moment with the heat and poor air quality because of the state’s fires, that’s not really viable); I can’t meet somebody for lunch if they’re unwilling to leave their house. I can’t hike or bicycle or run because of my knee. I can’t have people over if the wife is hesitant to have too many people over (she does have a couple of risk factors, but it’s odd). I would likely be doing more than I am if the opportunities presented themselves. But … go to a gym? I’m not gonna do that. Others can if they feel comfortable and I won’t quibble with that. In my many years on the planet, whenever I’ve had a break in going to the gym, when I do go back, it’s a virtual guarantee that I’ll get a head cold within a week or two of my return to the place. I’m sure gyms are doing more to keep things clean and sanitized now, but still, it’s not a place I would want to go. Besides, to save money, we ended our gym membership a couple of months ago. πŸ˜‰

• That makes sense since you couldn’t go. I did that with a couple of monthly commitments. I get the gym reluctance, since even before all this, I preferred being outside rather than in, and I do a workout at home I’ve done forever that seems to work for me.

Sorry about your knee. Can you wrap it and walk at least?

Fear is a terrible thing that so many people suffer from, and it’s not that I don’t understand but, you need to try to resume life best you can. I’m sorry about the fires on top of everything else. Thanks for writing…oh yeah..did you get a new book??? Thank God we love to read!!!!!

• kingmidget says:

Yes … I’d rather be outside too, doing something that is more natural than being indoors on a machine.

As for my knee, I got a new brace for it a couple of weeks ago. This brace is supposed to help align or straighten the knee cap so that there is less irritation inside the knee. Either some healing was occurring naturally, or this brace is a miracle. Ever since I got it, my knee has been much better. But unlike previous times over the last year, when my knee has shown improvement and I’ve gone out and done too much, too fast, I’m not doing that this time. I’ve been doing PT the last couple of weeks and haven’t had any significant irritation. Gonna be contacting the physical therapist soon to see about ramping up the exercises a bit. I could probably do short walks now, but … I’m trying to be patient.

And yes, fear is a very powerful thing. Throughout all of these past six months, I’ve tried not to let fear control, and have tried to live my life as much as possible.

It’s funny. In the novel I just finished writing, the final words, spoken by a 17-year-old boy, are, “I decided to chose love instead of fear.” Not entirely sure what that means, but what the heck.

As for the books I’m reading, I’m still on The Bone Hunger and I’m reading a manuscript for a fellow writer. Than on to something else. It’s been a bit of time since I dipped my toe into a book of history. I think it’s time.

• So glad about the brace helping. I know what it’s like to be injured. We don’t realize how blessed we are until something is taken away. I love your last line. Love is stronger than fear, hope being it’s comrade. Faith over fear is a mighty powerful thing. Yes, history awaits. What about McCullough’s The American Spirit. it’s pithy in its form…essays , not too long, that are amazing. I think they’d surely whet your appetite for something more ambitious. Again, great news about your knee. πŸ™‚

• kingmidget says:

Just got The American Spirit.

• I’m so glad. It’s one of my favorite books Mark. Has an esteemed place on my coffee table. You’ll really appreciate them, McCullough being the John Lennon if Historians. He makes you proud to be an American. πŸ™‚

I haven’t belong to a gym since the Clinton Administration. In the late nineties, I was gifted a hardly used Soloflex that my uncle had been using as a makeshift bookshelf. And I used the hell out of that thing until I moved out of the house after my separation. But the habit stuck, and I established my “home gym”, which is still going strong to this day.

The “Covid 15” is in reference to the weight many peeps have put on since March, which was another plus since I had my own gym at the ready. Well, it’s not much of a gym- some loose weights, a stationary bike and a foam roller that was kicking my ass early on but has since shown some nice results.

• I know all about Covid-15 since, since most people I see are about to tip over.

I ran every day except for a few back in March when I had a case of vertigo that gratefully disappeared. You can’t blame the virus on everything like laziness and over indulging. It’s getting too convenient. No one told you to have that pie delivered, and delivered, and delivered.

We must stay vigilant to the health we’re blessed with by practicing self-care, and if I sound like a cheap fitness rag, so be it. I’m giving you the power salute while eating a protein bar. πŸ™‚

• Sorryless says:

I took a week off running earlier this month and gained two pounds, so I am guilty of having let myself be lazy. But since then I’ve lost that two pounds and then some and have gotten back to eating better. So who knows? Maybe I’ll be a member of the Covid Minus 15 club. πŸ˜‰

• Two pounds is nothing. I’m sure your body snapped right back. It’s the body that’s already been south of the border that takes and makes a longer comeback.

• Sorryless says:

It really did. And it’s funny, because the running was sharper as a result of the break.

My ex wife is one of those serial fad dieters. But that stuff is a slippery slope to frustration. In my mid twenties, I was two hundred and forty pounds. I went on Nutri-System with her and lost fifty pound. The reason I was able to keep off the weight as time went on is because I never went back to a “diet” AND I exercised. That last thing is why so many peeps do the roller coaster. Because they won’t commit. I exercise six days a week, have been doing so for as long as I can remember.

• Diet’s a bad word since it intimates, temporary. You just have to learn how to eat properly in reasonable amounts. It’s why Weight Watchers is so successful. You get to eat. It’s great that you practice such ardent self care, especially now when being fit is the best way to be, getting through this, in more ways that one.

• Sorryless says:

You, sistah, are preaching to my choir.

And you know another thing that drives me batty? All these nutritional bars that are dressed up in junk food . . like Birthday Cake and Triple Fudge Cake. What the hell happened to good old fashioned nutritional bars that were . . whoa, nutritious? Or a home made trail mix?

And plenty of cold water . . .

• You have to learn to read all labels, and when you see added sugar, pass.

• Sorryless says:

They hide that stuff like marielitos hiding from Castro.

• I know, but Imma must take out his clever and unearth it.

• Sorryless says:

Have clever, will travel.

• PS Your gym sounds perfect…that’s really all you need. Toss in some push ups…a few crunches, and voila…a waistline. πŸ™‚

9. I thought of Queen’s “The Show Must Go On” when I read the title. The woman spraying Lysol in front of her made me smile. I would imagine she would end up breathing a lot of it in. Maybe clean the lungs? πŸ™‚

10. Be smart and wash your fucking hands. It’s just that easy. Personally, hand sanitizer seeping into my skin, and aerosols seeping into my lungs scares me more than anything these days.

• I know…easy does it, is the phrase of the day. I believe one’s immune system needs to be taken out for a spin once in a while. Stay healthy, rest…practice REASONABLE safety precautions. It’s all a no-brainer, however, the person donning Saran Wrap like Burberry made it, is just, well…we cross the street when we see her comin. Like a leftover, with legs.