A Moment of Grace

I’ve been thinking a lot about things, I never thought of before.

Just now, for instance, I was standing beneath an awning drinking coffee, freshly bummed from my pal who owns a grocery store. It was rainy, and barely 7 a.m., so I had the street to myself.

Well almost.

There was a young man, two awnings down, also sipping coffee, eating a roll peeking out between the raindrops, same as me.

Neither of us wore our mask since we were alone, together, and me, finishing first passing him said…

“Five minutes of peace never felt so good, right?”

And though barely 20, he sagely nodded and said, “Si…si.”

And boy, did I.       images-1.jpeg

This entry was posted in Beauty, Culture, food, grace, Gratitude, humanity, inspiration, New York City, words and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to A Moment of Grace

1. kingmidget says:

It is the little moments…

• Hi Mark. How’s thy knee???

• kingmidget says:

It’s okay. Went to the coast for the weekend. Spent a lot of time walking Saturday and Sunday and my knee seems to have survived it just fine. Only minor aches in the ol’ joint this morning.

• That’s great. So happy to hear that, you athlete you. Did the McCullough come?

• kingmidget says:

Sigh … I’m still far, far away from doing any running. Or giving it a try. I did start reading the McCullouch essays, but didn’t get very far. I think the problem was that I started it at night when I was really tired and couldn’t really focus on it. I’ll go back to it. But now I’m reading his book on Truman.

• That’s quite a read. Good for you. I thought the essays would get your feet wet for one of his tomes, but sounds as if, you didn’t need them. Another one of his I liked was the one on the Wright Brothers. As far as running goes, you at least aren’t in any pain.

• kingmidget says:

Yep … no real pain is a good thing.

Funny thing about the Truman book is that I owned it for decades without reading it. I picked it up once and didn’t get too far. A few years ago, it went in the garage sale stack and is now gone. But a friend mentioned it a month or two ago and I decided give it another try.

I like the way he starts off with Truman’s ancestors and how they came to Missouri. Learning a little more about that time in American history.

• It’s a great read. He was a haberdasher. Loved learning that, and the only president who never went to college. That’s always blown me away.

2. Great moments for sure. Thanks for sharing.

The little moments are enough to get things going in a positive way.

Peace of mind is more important than anything else.

5. That’s great. I love those little moments of human connection that pop up randomly during the day. You tell it great too. 🙂

• I pay more attention to those these days. Life has taken on so many new colors that one’s eyes need adjusting In the mornings especially, I am so aware of the quiet, of the serenity and lack of tension around me It doesn’t last long. In less than an hour, the frenzy, the stress of others comes into play. I pray every day David, that it will cease, like bombs dropping. Our own version of the Blitz. Sigh

Peacefulness surrounded by a light rain is sooo soothing. My college suitemate and traveling companion moved to Tucson when we decided it was time to settle down. She often says that one of the things she misses most is sitting on a porch while it lightly rains. I guess they have drought or gushers, nothing in-between. Until she first lamented that I took our showers for granted.

• I so get that. How many times did I pass that store awning I huddled under, never needing nor having the desire to stop and just be part of the early morning. And light rain is a lovely to witness since, it makes everything gleam, including you. 🙂

7. robprice59 says:

So strange are the wheres and whens we find succour. Such a serendipitous moment: thanks for sharing.