And I Quote…

Unknown.jpegWhere do they come from, these pithy, memorable sayings that last the test of time?

Are the quotable examples of genius, or merely portals on behalf of the Divine, who clearly has a sense of humor.

Some of my favorites…

1) Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement Park. Anthony Bourdain

2) Kids from alcoholic homes still dance, just with a limp. Anne Lamott

3) Tell the truth, tell the truth, tell the truth. Elizabeth Gilbert…Eat, Pray, Love

4) My stomach is flat, the L is just silent. Anonymous

5) You can’t have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright

6) The truth shall set you free, but first, will kick your ass. 12 Step Slogan

7) Let’s grab our balls and go. John F. Kennedy

8) If my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live, I wouldn’t brood, I’d type faster. Isaac Asimov

9) When we give cheerfully and accept gratefully, everyone is blessed. Maya Angelou

10) You will never be alone, with a poet in your pocket. John Adams

11) I finally realized that people are prisoners of their phone…that’s why it’s called a cell phone. Anonymous

12) Never miss a chance to shut up. Will Rogers

And so it goes…K. Vonnegut  🙂

This entry was posted in Books, creative writing, Culture, grace, Gratitude, humanity, humor, inspiration, Uncategorized, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to And I Quote…

1. This list is marvelous. Number eight is my favorite. With moments to live, I’d type faster. Do you have a favorite?

Liked by 2 people

I like them all too, but my favorites are 2,9, an 11. Actually we need to add 10, because I always have a book with me.
    I hope you don’t mind if I copy number 11 on my FB page. So appropriate for so many people I know. The only time I use my cell is in the car. My friends all know to call on the landline.

Liked by 2 people

3. aFrankAngle says:

Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Liked by 2 people

4. aFrankAngle says:

If you first don’t succeed, you did it wrong …. So try try again a different way. (me)

Liked by 2 people

Great list, Susannah and there are so many out there but you’re right, twelve is a good number 😉.
    How about I add “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” – I searched and this is largely credited to Bert Lance

Liked by 2 people

6. Kate Howell says:

Very cool !

HAL RUBENSTEIN-KATE HOWELL

7. kingmidget says:

#4 has a certain charm to it. And #11 is certainly very appropriate.

8. My favorite is Kurt’s. Good ones, Susannah.

I relate to Bourdain’s quote.

10. robprice59 says:

My body is not a temple but a sprawling, and largely derelict, monastery complex.

11. Great pithy list. I enjoyed it. 🙂