An Angel With a Chip On Her Shoulder

I was in the local thrift store, sniffing around, when I came upon an angel figurine about a foot tall.

She was beautiful and marked down to $2.50.

I had to look twice to make sure I read it right.

A snarky woman watching snapped, “You’re not buying that, are you?”

When I looked surprised, she said, “She’s got a chip in one of her wings. That’s why she’s so cheap,” shaking her head like I was the biggest asshole on the planet.

When I looked closer, indeed she had a chip, so of course you know, I bought her anyway.

To quote Seabiscuit, one of my favorite films:

You don’t throw away a whole life just because it’s banged up a little.

As the cashier wrapped her in tissue, I noticed a little Latino girl outside, sitting on a bench.

She was maybe 12, looking awfully sad, so naturally I had to go ask why.

She said, her mother was sick, and she was trying to help her. But her grandmother said, she was being a pest and sent her out with ice cream money.

As tears streamed down her face, matching mine that were about to, I unwrapped the angel and said, “I think this would be a great present for your mom. She has a little chip in her right wing, but she’s still beautiful.”

The little girl’s eyes lit up, before clouding again, saying, “My grandmother will think I stole it.”

Boy, did I want to smack Gramma.

So, instead of Joan of Bark, my Bonnie Parker came out and said, “Tell Granny you bought her with your ice cream money.”

We both shook on this, before watching her skip down Second Avenue, three angels, with just a little chip.

I’m just looking for an angel, with a broken wing…Jimmy Page

Sing it, Jimmy.

This entry was posted in Beauty, Culture, Faith, Family, grace, humanity, inspiration, kids, Love, money, New York City, parents, words, writing and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to An Angel With a Chip On Her Shoulder

Now that is serendipity!
    Lovely story.

Susannah, I love your compassion and empathy.
    I have bought many beautiful things at yard sales and auctions that had minor flaws. If I wouldn’t settle for less than perfect I never would have married Pookie (who turned out to be as close to perfect as a guy can get).
    I bet that granny spots the chip immediately.
    And then we come to your ability to soothe those who are hurting, both human and four legged. I just love this story. Thanks for sharing.

3. That solution was perfect but grannie sounds like the kind of person who turns a silk purse into a sow’s ear.

4. To think an angel could bring such soothing and joy! People began giving me angels over 50 years ago because of a sad event. I love every one of them and remember the people who gave them to me. My favorite right now is one that sits over the entrance to the living room. The original owners installed a shallow shelf over the woodwork, and that is where my angel sat with her legs hanging over the edge. One day our grandsons and the foster child across the street (now grown and gone) were playing a game and knocked that angel to the floor. They didn’t tell me, but found glue and put her back together. When she was dry, Dennis brought her to me and explained what had happened. The repair was crude, but I loved that angel more than ever. The boys were sorry she had been broken. I was touched that they would go to so much trouble to save her life for me.

5. robprice59 says:

All the best angels have chips. My angel has chips and gravy. 🙂

An excellent compromise, SB

7. Vasca says:

Before I moved to China, one of the sweetest women gave me her own little angel to watch over me. It was a tiny thing, about 3/4″ – I could fold her in the palm of my hand. She died shortly after gifting me with it; needless to say I cherish it. It’s sweet just as your writing. That little girl’s mother is blest…maybe Granny will soften…angels work wonders.

• I hope Granny softens since, ice cream can go just so far.

• Vasca says:

Exactly…it’s gone in a slurp while angels hover – they never leave you behind. Someday maybe that sweet little girl will give Granny an angel. Even the hardest of hearts can’t resist angels…’specially the ones with chipped wings. They’re experienced!

8. That made her day. Hopefully the grandmother didn’t interfere with it. Great metaphor too, an angel with a chip. That’s humanity for you.