Tit for Tat

I’m in the Park.

It’s close to 10 as I sit on a bench hoping no one joins me besides the breeze that’s blowing through my hair.

All I want are a few minutes of mask-less reading time.

Is that too much for a girl to ask?

Suddenly I hear sharp voices coming from somewhere slicing through the quiet like razors.

I look up to see a couple going at it verbally like boxers in ‘out there’ attire, making me look like a nun, in comparison.

She’s a woman of color with bright red hair and cleavage that could derail a train.

He’s white as chalk, wearing army shorts and a guinea tee, with tattoos on every inch of his exposed body, including his neck the width of a bulldog’s.

They match like a set of punk salt and pepper shakers you could easily pick up on 8th Street.

Me and my book, which seems perfect for the occasion since it’s Anthony Bourdain’s, The Nasty Bits, dedicated to the Ramones, sit there watching them duke it out.

Sadly, my clipped hearing doesn’t allow me to be privy to their particular patois, though I’m catching a fuck and a shit here and there, mesmerized by her boobs heaving, reminding me of the cantaloupes I just saw at the fruit stand, on special.

Even Anthony can’t top that.

I know, why don’t I just mosey onto another bench.

My writer won’t hear of it since, we just may have an essay at hand, after all.Β  Β  Right Tony? πŸ™‚

This entry was posted in creative writing, Culture, Fashion, humanity, humor, inspiration, Love, New York City, readng, Women and men, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Tit for Tat

At least they weren’t physical, Susannah. The mismatched pair lend credence to the adage ‘opposites attract’, at least in appearance. We’ll have to surmise that their personalities somehow mesh.
    Real life has often pulled my eyes away from a book, too. It usually happens when I’m on my porch and the lure of wildlife on the pond beckons my attention. You had a different type of wild life, ha ha!

2. robprice59 says:

Oh, how you suffer for your art! πŸ˜‰

3. aFrankAngle says:

πŸ™‚ … so how long did the Dynamic Duo sick around? I’m guessing not long, Thanks for the smiles this morning.

4. You’ve entertained us collectively much longer than the couple fought.

5. kingmidget says:

Dorothy Allison said at a writing conference I attended that writers “steal people.” Go forth and steal away.

6. I’m glad. It’s good to laugh. I don’t think I could have sat on your bench

7. long enough to describe the mismatched pair.

And you didn’t have to pay admission!
    Were you able to get back to your reading?

• I left. Suddenly I was inundated with people. The Park when it’s busy is a handful. I can’t deal with the dirty looks and the indignation. If I’m seated alone on a bench, I feel I’m justified taking off my mask It’s all so twisted Dale and it’s starting to drive me mad. If I look at the good, I did get an essay out of it.

9. Yeah. You sit right there and take it in. Then you dish it out to us. 😁

10. Vasca says:

Seems more difficult, no matter where we are, to find or keep the peace. Anger is in the air…almost everywhere. I like peace…it has the nicest calming effect; unlike the couple you witnessed. I like this quote “β€œNever be in a hurry; do everything quietly and in a calm spirit. Do not lose your inner peace for anything whatsoever, even if your whole world seems upset.” β€”Saint Francis de Sales. That last part about keeping your calm even if the whole world’s upset? Oh brother, that’s a bruiser!

11. I’d say it’s nice they’re getting fresh air while airing their grievances, but kind of ruins it for everyone else, except of course for us writers. πŸ™‚

12. The variety of people is a wonder.

You never know when inspiration will strike, do you?