Adjusting

We’re designed to get through everything, big and small, so the way we’re adapting to the presence of a pandemic should come as no surprise.

We’re such a great model we humans are, IKEA could easily sell us in plexiglass or chrome.

That’s not to say, we’re happy about it.

I make myself go out in the late afternoon, to get another walk in because complacency can be catchy, after all.

I even dress for my half hour excursion so not to slip into the habit of…oh what’s the point of clean pants and mascara.

There is a point, of no return, if you don’t take the time to kick your own tires, and keep that oil changed.

I usually go to my friend’s store to glean some fruit and his homemade potato salad I’ll bring home, washing off the mayo, managing to save the dill…a culinary trick that would even impress Anthony Bourdain from the ether.

I’m cheerful, say thanks when he refuses my money, the pal that he is, and try to ignore the masked snipers in my mist.

The band of non-brothers who aren’t taking life as it’s been handed to us, quite as well as you.

I still smile, and say…you can go first if you’d like, hoping the cloud will disperse, or open the door, or close it tightly when that cloud takes leave, trying not to clap.

Going home too, can be rough, dodging those who feel entitled to be more pissed off than you, jumping out of the way, marching in the street like an alternate army.

We shrug it off, grateful to behave better, though that good cheer of ours may have slightly frayed.

When I walk through the door, stripping off my mask feeling as if I’ve made it across one more minefield, I still think, we’re designed to adapt to anything.

What God forgot, was to add built-in humility that would activate, all on its own…tsk tsk.

That God.       images.png

This entry was posted in Culture, Faith, food, grace, Health, humanity, humor, money, New York City, shopping, words, writing and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

130 Responses to Adjusting

1. I still put on earrings every day, but I’m concerned that I will lose one while fumbling with the mask. Good for you for going out regularly!

Liked by 2 people

Susannah, it’s a small thing, but I can’t wait to go out with all my makeup on. Foundation doesn’t work well with a mask, ha ha. The first time I went out with a mask I automatically put it all on and quickly realized that doesn’t fly. The funniest part was the kiss mark on the inside of my mask.
    Last week I ran into a co-worker from 40 years ago that I hadn’t seen in at least 20 years. He said my name with a question mark at the end. Luckily he identified himself so I didn’t have to ask. I quickly pulled my mask down, said, “Yes, it is I”, and pulled it back up. He laughed and did the same.
    How many old acquaintances do we inadvertently pass by because of those masks?

Good for you. I haven’t put make-up on since March. Mind you, I had an eye infection that lasted over a month so I sort of just stopped doing the whole mascara thing. Then I started working in a golf canteen where the temps reached 85-90 INSIDE, so it’s probably a good thing I had gotten out of the habit. I don’t think I would have been too pretty come end of shift…
    As for people. I don’t know why it is so damn hard to just be nice, wear your damn mask in public and stop bitching…

4. kingmidget says:

I have a beard. Since I retired at the end of February, I have not kept it (or my almost bald head) as trimmed as I did while working. A few days ago, while dealing with some mild depression about a range of factors affecting my current situation, I decided I needed to stop doing that. Out came the razor, off went the wild thing growing all over my head. I need to do that more often. As well as get out and about in some way. The only problem now is with the smoke and fires that are blanketing our area, making outdoor time unhealthy and not much fun.

Liked by 2 people

• I’m so sorry to hear the fires are affecting you. Wish I could help in some way, and the thing about keeping ourselves in aesthetic shape…it’s about us too, not just those we encounter. To look our best is good for morale. So trim on Mark. Trim on.

• kingmidget says:

Fortunately, the actual fires are plenty far away, but the smoke is just relentless. Weeks of it now, and there isn’t any end in sight.

Here’s to the ol’ morale!!!

• Reminds me of 9/11. I lived way uptown and still, smelled the smoke. it was amazing.

• kingmidget says:

The entire West Coast is shrouded by smoke. It’s just kind of amazing in a horrible way. So much tragedy from these fires and no apparent ability by our leaders and our society to actually do something about it. I’m sooooo tired of our country’s inability to do things anymore.

• I’m with you there. It’s like we’ve been orphaned. My naivete just doesn’t allow me to understand it at all. Congress not being able to compromise for the betterment of the people they were elected to serve. Do you think Midget, Henry Clay and Daniel Webster would have gone home? Or John Quincy Adams who actually died there after 17 years of humble service? I’ll bet even Ted Kennedy, who you sure didn’t have to like, but they didn’t call him the Lion of the Senate for nothing. He’d a rolled up his sleeves, and stayed right there until a solution could be found. As for the fires…they’re are on their own Mark, as are we. I say that with a great deal of remorse and bewilderment.

• kingmidget says:

We have gradually morphed in recent decades into a nation where making noise seems to be far more important than actually contributing and solving.

• I’m here with my hands in the air. Makes it hard to type.

• And I’m happy to hear it’s not near your home. On top of a plaque, they have fire. It’s right out of the Book of Revelations. It chills me Mark.

5. danagalka says:

I had a manager years ago that insisted that our customers could hear us smiling at them over the phone. Just as with a mask a cheerful thank you, or I like your earrings goes a long way. And who knows, maybe that is exactly what the person needed.

6. Vasca says:

Life can surely become dreary but God never lets go of us and He never, ever forgets anything. Time marches on with us intact…just takes effort on our part. At times it almost seems too much.

7. That God indeed. I am always amazed by the number of pure unadulterated ass hats that walk this planet. You are very wise to give them wide berth. Have a super Sunday.

Masks are the new political debate.

9. Vasca says:

Here a hoax, there a hoax, everywhere a hoax joke! You’re right…it is scary – mass confusion 24/7 and no one actually knows what’s going on…really? Everyone has a theory…theories are just that. Theoretically speaking…every celeb, pundit…you name it and it’s out there. Scaring up readers…yeah, scaring is the word. We’re all running in circles – getting dizzier by the minute. No end in sight…unless you’re a _______________________(fill in the blank).

10. Eilene Lyon says:

Humility? In this day and age? There’s a vain hope if there ever was one. But we can just do our best to keep a positive attitude and care enough about others to do our part in not speading infection, and taking care of ourselves, too. Good for you. Chin up!

11. robprice59 says:

Sorry Susannah, I have to confess my makeup regime has deteriorated severely under lockdown conditions. And my manicure isn’t a lot better: trashed all my pluckers on my lathe on Friday.